Lockwood & Miller Jeep Trail - July 10

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
The Lockwood Trail (127) and the Miller Jeep Trail (129) are located in the Mt. Pinos Ranger District of the Los Padres National Forest near Frazier Park. The Forest Service has rated both trails as "most difficult" (Black Diamond) for 4x4 vehicles because they are steep and rocky. However any trail rated Jeep can do these two trails. Because of brush, there is a possibility of some pin striping. This will be an all day run. Bring lunch and fluids to keep hydrated. The forecast for July 10 calls for a high temperature in the low 100s. We will exit through the Hungry Valley SVRA by about 5:00 pm.

Meeting Point: Flying J Travel Center, I-5 at Frazier Mountain Park Road (exit 205) 34.817436, -118.886336 at 9:00 am PDT
Alternate Meeting Point: Lockwood Creek Trailhead, 34.734562, -119.039428 at 9:30 am PDT
We will meet at the Flying J Travel Center then travel approximately 15 miles to the trailhead where we will air down.

Optional: Camp at the Hungry Valley SVRA. I plan to camp at the Aliklik Campground in the Hungry Valley SVRA on Friday and Saturday night. It is adjacent to the 4x4 training area. 34.723244, -118.864493 The campground has vault toilets but no water. The camping fee is $10/night and is first come/first served.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lockwood & Miller Jeep Trail - July 10 Miller Jeep Trail
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Chung

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
Based on the heat wave this weekend, I'm not going to camp out at Hungry Valley. This will just be a day run on Saturday, July 10. Meet at the Flying J at the I-5 and Frazier Mountain Road at 9:00 am.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the heat wave this weekend, I'm not going to camp out at Hungry Valley. This will just be a day run on Saturday, July 10. Meet at the Flying J at the I-5 and Frazier Mountain Road at 9:00 am.
Headed to the same trail with another group near the same time, we'll definitely "wave" if we see you out there!

OP
OP
Russ Chung

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
Headed to the same trail with another group near the same time, we'll definitely "wave" if we see you out there!
It was great meeting Dion & Valerie (Bumps Ahead) on the trail.

As expected, the weather was sunny and warm. All of us stayed inside our Jeeps and we kept our air conditioning going. The Lockwood trail has recovered from the fire damage that it suffered a few years ago. The Miller Jeep trail seems to be rockier and rougher than the last time I ran it; probably due to erosion because of the fire damage. I had to engage my lockers a couple of times where the trail was undercut.

Here's a picture of Bumps Ahead on the Lockwood Trail.

IMG_0557.jpeg
Sponsored