First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My JL is on order and I'm gathering parts. I'm looking to add locking lugs to my order. What color are the stock JL (Rubi if it makes a difference) lug nuts? Most vendors offer chrome or black.

While I'm asking: any best-of-breed recommendations?
Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Chrome, but just get a set of 23 locks of whatever color you like.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What works better than locks is using a ton of force to put them on.

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
...better than locks is using a ton of force to put them on.
But then, it takes a "ton of force" to loosen, and that can break the wheel lug stud.

Years ago, I literally stood on the end of a 2-ft breaker bar trying to loosen lugs nuts that were over-tighted by a shop. I broke two of them. Yeah, they're cheap, and you can remove and press new studs into the hubs at home without a hydraulic press, but I'd rather not have to do that every time I rotate tires.

Last edited:

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
...any best-of-breed recommendations?
I guess these days "state-of-the-art" locking lug nuts are not just keyed, but also feature a spinning collar? That's the newest thing I've seen, and that's what came on my Jeep from the dealer. Apparently, they were losing spare tires on their Wranglers at night, so every Wrangler on their lot got them.

The spinning collar makes it more difficult and time consuming when thieves hammer on a socket and simply wrench off a spline lug nut or keyed lug nut.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Hey do these even works??? Someone told me that while it might make it difficult but if those goonballs want to remove it they can just use some kind of universal (I dunno what you call it) contraption and it will go bye bye.
Can't stop everyone, if they are determined, nothing will stop them. A locking lug nut or all lugs being locking lugs is a deterrence that they might move on to the next vehicle.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Lock or spline lugs only slow them down and not by much. Like others have said locks with a free spinning collar are the "best" option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hey do these even works??? Someone told me that while it might make it difficult but if those goonballs want to remove it they can just use some kind of universal (I dunno what you call it) contraption and it will go bye bye.
As I see it any deterrent is (much) better than none. We all know that determined thieves can hot wire your car, but leaving your keys in the ignition and leaving no barriers for the thief is putting you more at risk. To me, an unprotected wheel similarly facilitates theft.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Lock or spline lugs only slow them down and not by much. Like others have said locks with a free spinning collar are the "best" option.
If they want them, they will get them regardless of splined lug, free spinning collar lug. (there even is a trick to defeating the free spinners)

To me I just want to slow them guy/gal down as I know ultimately that is about all I can do. Best bet is to have good insurance. coverage.

Mopar Locking lugs look huge and fugly.. I wouldn't have them if you gave them to me.. Geeeez, even the stock JL, lugs in general look crappy.....

Many of the aftermarket offerings have to small a base. ... an insufficient base.

The bigger the mushroom base, the better.

The Gorilla Lock System splined lugs have a very large mushroom... also at 1.62" in length, they do not stick out to far... and look very good on the JL stock rims.

Can be had in Black and Chrome. Recommend buying the 24 pack.

Jeep Wrangler JL Locking lugs question vvv.JPG

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@@minutemen

They look very good on your aftermarket wheel! Nice wheels too! (I'd like to see a real closeup of them installed)

For stock JL wheels, I'd rather have a lug with a larger mushroom then the McGards have.

For aftermarket wheels the mushroom size of a Gorilla Splined may be to big for use with certain wheels

Here is a close-up pic of the Gorilla's on a factory wheel....
Jeep Wrangler JL Locking lugs question blacklug-wheel

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep a 16" breaker bar with the appropriate size socket that works with the Gorilla Lug Nut key in the JL at all times.

I have the socket attached to the breaker bar and the tool is placed in a 18" long piece of gray, foam pipe insulation. I keep this affair, in the small compartment where the scissor jack is. Fits right in on top. With the foam pipe insulation, I have no metal to metal related rattles.

I learned long ago, you can be up chitt creek so to speak, sometimes trying to break lugs loose with the little tire iron that comes with the Jeep.

Once you see someone standing on a tire iron trying to break a lug loose and the lug snaps off, etc., you realize wise man/gal carries a breaker bar with socket as I do in the vehicle at all times.

I never personally use or allow use of power tools on my lug nuts.
Sponsored