Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My son just ordered a 2018 JL Rubicon and he currently drives a 2015 Wrangler Jk and he has Mopar locking lugs on the JK and he wants to know if they will fit on his new JL to save some $$$
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My son just ordered a 2018 JL Rubicon and he currently drives a 2015 Wrangler Jk and he has Mopar locking lugs on the JK and he wants to know if they will fit on his new JL to save some $$$
No unfortunately they will not. New lugs are 14x1.5

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@TTEChris thanks for the info, I will just buy him another set unless the new Rubicon comes with them installed from the Dealer

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I would skip the locking lug nut entirely. I owned a car that had them and the wheels were still stolen. They busted in the window, took the wheel lock, then stole the wheels. If somebody is unscrupulous enough to steal your wheels, they're not above smashing in a window to get to the wheel lock.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I would skip the locking lug nut entirely. I owned a car that had them and the wheels were still stolen. They busted in the window, took the wheel lock, then stole the wheels. If somebody is unscrupulous enough to steal your wheels, they're not above smashing in a window to get to the wheel lock.
Locking lug nuts are just a deterrent. Hopefully the thieve will see the locking nuts and move on to an easier target. If they must have YOUR wheels, then that’s when you chain your wheels to the frame to make it even harder.

There are other style locking nuts besides the mopar, like the various Gorilla locking nuts.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Locking lug nuts are just a deterrent. Hopefully the thieve will see the locking nuts and move on to an easier target. If they must have YOUR wheels, then that’s when you chain your wheels to the frame to make it even harder.

There are other style locking nuts besides the mopar, like the various Gorilla locking nuts.
Obviously it wasn't in my case. If you're willing to pull 20 lug nuts and wheels in a public place, why would smashing a window stop you? You're trying to think like a rational person, not a wheel thief. These aren't bored teenagers looking for change in the center console.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
How do you chain your wheels to the frame ? Just curious .
I was wondering the same thing. At some point just call the insurance company and call it a day. Then you upgrade.

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Seems everything is metric on the JL, why, don't know. Ran into the same, wanted to use the locking nuts for the wheels, AND for the doors.... no luck.... 14 mm for the wheels, the door much longer pin than for the JK... Also found out that the weathertec mats didn't fit, nor did the rear cargo mat... still waiting for WeatherTec to get it together, apparently they haven't laser scanned the back end of the JL....

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
How do you chain your wheels to the frame ? Just curious .
Long chain with padlock x 4. It takes a little extra time to chain them up at night and unchain them in the morning. Use a plastic coated chain so you don’t scratch anything. You could use an extra long chain to chain all four tires together and around the frame.

Of course they could cut the chain with the right tools or just car jack you when your installing the chain.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Long chain with padlock x 4. It takes a little extra time to chain them up at night and unchain them in the morning. Use a plastic coated chain so you don’t scratch anything. You could use an extra long chain to chain all four tires together and around the frame.

Of course they could cut the chain with the right tools or just car jack you when your installing the chain.
Forget that noise.
It’s much easier to let them have them and call the insurance company. The price they pay for OEM wheels will get you really nice aftermarket wheels and tires.
I’ve never seen a wheel chained in my life. Some things are just not worth the hassle.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Forget that noise.
It’s much easier to let them have them and call the insurance company. The price they pay for OEM wheels will get you really nice aftermarket wheels and tires.
I’ve never seen a wheel chained in my life. Some things are just not worth the hassle.
This poor lady got her doors stolen. She forgot to chain them up!

2BAE503C-3DF8-48F1-99C0-25E26542A745.jpeg

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously it wasn't in my case. If you're willing to pull 20 lug nuts and wheels in a public place, why would smashing a window stop you? You're trying to think like a rational person, not a wheel thief. These aren't bored teenagers looking for change in the center console.
As far as I'm concerned, the idea is to slow them down and cause them to make enough noise to get my attention so that I can shoot them.

And then I go back to bed...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The primary reason locking lugs have become obsolete: Lug Removers which are available everywhere. With these, or other more intricate/capable varieties of these, the locking lugs don't even slow them down. It's unfortunate, but...
Sponsored