locking gun safe for my JLU

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Okay, I got my license to carry this week and have someone taking me gun shopping (he is a detective with the local D.A.'s office and my friend who is the District Attorney is having him take me shopping and training me). I want to have a safe secure way to store it in my Jeep when I'm at work, (I cannot take it into work with me} I need to have this gun with me at all other times when I am out (I'm being stalked and have gotten disturbing voicemails and text messages and the police wont do anything until this creep actually physically threatens me} My first thought was a locking gun safe bolted to the floor under my drivers seat, the owner of the dealership where I got my Jeep said she keeps hers in a locking center console. I need something to securely lock my gun in the Jeep during my work hours and something that cannot be taken out of the Jeep (hence the gun safe bolted to the floor of the Jeep} Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I am in the process of looking for the some thing for my 2021 four door. Evidently the floor pan has been redesigned to allow ground clearance for underbody drive line components which eliminated room under the driver’s seat

I did see that there is a lot of room under the rear seat, so i may have a box with a lock made for the rear. Rather have it in front, but that is not going to happen

I’m going to look to see if any locking glove box is available

Biggest downside to my Rubicon so far is the lack of any meaningful storage

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I use the one pictured below, made by Hornady. In addition to a code and physical key, it also has a bracelet and keychain tags you can use to open it instantly. Comes with a sort of bicycle chain that I have running through the rear seat posts. I used a super strong neodymium magnet to hold it in place on the center floorboard just under the rear seat so I can get to it quickly.

Jeep Wrangler JL locking gun safe for my JLU 1614087664070

Last edited:
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my Tuffy for my 2021 JL. Tried to install it today. I think they shipped the wrong lid, as it won’t fit into my console.

And, as listed above, by the time the new cover is installed inside the old one, there may be enough room for a wallet and that’s about it.

The Tuffy is extremely well made, but a no go for my JL

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Similar to DHW's solution, I use a metal lockbox made by Ruger which comes with a plastic coated cable. I wrap it around the rear seat supports and place it under the seat. The lockbox fits full-sized handguns. It's also accepted by the airlines if you want to take a gun on a trip.

Sponsored

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I cannot believe that they have not come up with an armored glove box for the JL. When I bought my first jeep the JL I really expected to buy the under drivers seat safe. No go since there is not any room. Have kept my fingers crossed for the glove box but still nothing. The console ones are ok but I use the console for other things. Any hope for an armored glove box that anyone knows of?

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot believe that they have not come up with an armored glove box for the JL. When I bought my first jeep the JL I really expected to buy the under drivers seat safe. No go since there is not any room. Have kept my fingers crossed for the glove box but still nothing. The console ones are ok but I use the console for other things. Any hope for an armored glove box that anyone knows of?
I had the Tuffy glove box in my JK. Loved that thing, solid build. Wish they would've done that for the JL instead of the console one. Hope they still do.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I got my Tuffy for my 2021 JL. Tried to install it today. I think they shipped the wrong lid, as it won’t fit into my console.
The Tuffy lid assembly does need to be inserted in the console at an angle. The design of the Tuffy works by taking advantage of the console's opening being a bit smaller than its interior dimension.

Possibly the wrong lid was included in your kit. An email to Tuffy, with a picture or two of what you received, should allow the company to get it quickly sorted.

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2021 four door Rubicon. For whatever reason, the Rubicon evidently has a different console from other models. The inside comes up at a rearward angle so the console ends up smaller inside at the top. The lids won’t fit inside up against the lip.

Tuffy has shorter side pieces to compensate, but it makes the compartment too small IMO.

it only seems to affect Rubicon.
Sponsored