Sponsored

Locking fuel doors and hood latches?

Moxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
My JLU 80th Anniversary is in transport to the dealer as we speak. I super excited for it, but I'm thinking about some small details that I don't normally have to consider for other cars/trucks.

Do you get hung up on things like locking fuel doors or hood hatches?

I don't live in a bad neighborhood or anything, but idiots can be anywhere.

Do you lock up?
Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
For me I added that stuff later. I got the Bolt hood latch that I only use if I park somewhere foreign to protect my battery. I leave it unlocked most of the time just in case I need to get under the hood real quick in a emergency.
I went with a locking fuel cap and just recently switched back to the non-locking one since I got tired of unlocking it when fueling. I threw it in the recovery bag in case I feel like using it again if somewhere I feel might lead to tampering. I don't think siphoning fuel is a thing anymore at least where I live. I think there are anti siphoning widgets on all new cars. I pretty sure anyone with intentions to tamper with your fuel is going to defeat a door, cap, or whatever. I am pretty sure I could defeat any of those with a screwdriver and channel locks. Theres a saying about locks....
That bolt hood lock on the other hand probably makes it pretty hard to open the hood. Enough so where a thief will find easier target

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
My JLU 80th Anniversary is in transport to the dealer as we speak. I super excited for it, but I'm thinking about some small details that I don't normally have to consider for other cars/trucks.

Do you get hung up on things like locking fuel doors or hood hatches?

I don't live in a bad neighborhood or anything, but idiots can be anywhere.

Do you lock up?
I have the bolt hood lock for sale in the market place (here). Brand new, sealed box.

It is a replacement sent to me from Bolt when my previous one failed. The process to replace was simple, but since I park in a garage, and never in a place that requires a lock, I decided I didn't want to reinstall.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Bolt hood lock and Mopar tank lock. Jeep is always in the garage at home but they were easy to key and install.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i got the locking gas cap and keyed it to the jeep key. easy to use and had no issues with iteven in the colder weather.

Sponsored

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
What other options are there to lock the hood if you can't use the Bolt Hood Lock?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I installed the Bolt hood lock and Mopar fuel tank lock. Jeep is always in the garage at home but they were easy to key and install.
Ditto.

I actually enjoyed assembling (i.e., correctly keying) the Mopar locking fuel cap.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I put the Mopar Hood Lock and locking gas cap on. It was fun keying the locks and handy having both run off the main key. I had a BOLT lock on my JK so wouldn’t argue that is inferior in any way to the Mopar one.

While mine is garage kept we take it all over the place so it’s just something else I don’t have to worry about. I recall finding my JK’s latches undone one time and being grateful I’d put the hood lock on it.

OP
OP
Moxo

Moxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
What other options are there to lock the hood if you can't use the Bolt Hood Lock?
Here is an option that's all over that one giant company. They lock the latches themselves and you have to use a separate key.

hoodlatch.png

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Here is an option that's all over that one giant company. They lock the latches themselves and you have to use a separate key.

hoodlatch.png
With respect, choose the brand of locking hood latches wisely. The one quoted above uses a tubular cylinder-style key that is easily bypassed with a simple Bic pen.

Approx. 17 years ago, Kryptonite was forced to recall & replace many thousands of their bicycle locks (which used the same key design) after the hack was made public. I received a new disc lock as part of said recall.

Given the age and broadband knowledge of the tubular cylinder lock fiasco, it's surprising to see that obsolete design still being sold.

Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I got the hood, gas, and spare locks for travel concerns. Back in the days when people still stayed at motels or parked overnight on the streets of places like NOLA and Chicago. (No offense intended.)

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase