Lockers - Rear only vs both

SportE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Sport, Audi S3, 2Dr Rubicon
So, when would you use just the rear lockers?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense. So only use front and rear when you are stuck or rock crawling?
I let the situation dictate what I should do... Not always, but most of the time you can tell if you need to be all locked.

Last edited:

Sponsored

joshnichols84

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Recruiter
I let the situation dictate what I should do... Not always, but most of the time you can tell if you need to be all locked.
I think they’re asking how can you tell? And if they’re not asking...

How can you tell if you should be all locked up?

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
I can only speak for 2 door jeeps, have yet to own or drive an unlimited. I try to avoid mud, high priority due to the proper cleaning required after. During snow and soft sand wheeling I lock both most all the time. Snow wheeling defined as not touching the dirt, deep snow. On the summer trail rides, if lockers are needed, usually just the rear gets it done. Locking the front causes steering issues so keep it to the bare minimum. On snowy roads, lockers are seldom needed. As stated in the first sentence, my experience is with two door trail rigs. Had several over the decades besides 4x4 trucks, a full size Blazer, a couple of Bronco 2s, all being two door models. The two door has a very good front to back balance that can go like the wind with 4x4 and open diffs. Heck, I didn't get a locker till maybe eight or nine years ago, had many limited slip rears though.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Only use front lockers if you know or strongly anticipate that you’ll have front wheel slippage AND you’ll be going almost perfectly straight. Outside of this they’re not needed or they’ll be counterproductive (you can’t turn much with the fronts locked).

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Not needed:whatsgoingon: Well, I guess based on the OP's question...that's likely true.

The trails we run here REQUIRE front and rear lockers.

If you can't turn, then you need ram assist or you need to unlock, fight the wheel, then relock...and Jeep's system isn't very good at this.

Most of the comments here are overthinking it.

If you're not sure, leave it unlocked and see how you do. You'll learn very quickly on the trail when you need to lock up before you hit an obstacle by whether or not you clear the obstacle.

Provided you're not dumb enough to be wheeling alone or without recovery gear, you should be fine testing the waters in this way.
When do you need front lockers absent of front wheels slipping?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When do you need front lockers absent of front wheels slipping?
For me it’s to prevent the wheels from slipping, bld works but if you need to give it the gas in certain situations you won’t give the bld a chance to work..... like in picture never gave it a chance to work, to much throttle....driver/front, passenger/ rear giving it the business, other two , nothing.

4443E354-73A9-4785-BEE0-DDBFA94A342E.jpeg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
For me it’s to prevent the wheels from slipping, bld works but if you need to give it the gas in certain situations you won’t give the bld a chance to work..... like in picture never gave it a chance to work, to much throttle....driver/front, passenger/ rear giving it the business, other two , nothing.

4443E354-73A9-4785-BEE0-DDBFA94A342E.jpeg
Got it. You knew or strongly anticipated wheel slippage. Thanks!

That looks like fun.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I’ve owned/wheeled Jeeps with Aussie lockers, and Detroit lockers (full time lockers) in the front axle. Never had an issue I can recall.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I engage the front before I pull up to a decent sized boulder...as one example. Why wait until there's an actual problem? Typically, if I know I need to hold a particular line through an obstacle and there's a chance of unloading (not necessarily even lifting) a tire, then I will lock up both ends.

Old video....but I'm not going to try a ledge like this without locking up...and on this particular one, I have video somewhere of forgetting to lock the front before starting and not making it as a result (until I locked the front end).

I honestly don't get the fascination with not using the equipment on your vehicle;, I guess for bragging rights. You damage the environment more, you risk breaking the vehicle and then everyone gets delayed while you fix it or they have to help.
Got it. So you knew or strongly anticipated wheel slippage. Thanks!
Sponsored