JeepJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Moab
Hey All,

I'm investigating getting a new JL, and believe I have found the one I wanted. However, it's at a dealer that's fairly far from me - about 3.5hrs away. Would it be worth it for me to work through my local dealer, or just deal with the dealer that actually has the JL but is further away? Here are my current thoughts on it:

- I don't have a problem taking a day and driving to the dealer to 'do the deal', but obviously that's a full day. Locally should be less time.
- I'm assuming my local dealer can transfer the JL in - not sure if that helps or hurts my chances of getting a great deal.
- The only interaction I've ever had with my local dealer is a very brief test drive last fall. They were super busy and after a brief conversation basically just threw me the keys and said 'bring it back in an hour'. They were very nice, and even followed up via email, but not really super 'engaged'.
- Both dealers seem to have good ratings per Google (FWIW)
- Realistically any warranty work is probably going to be done at the local dealer.

Anyone ever been in this situation or have any thoughts?
Sponsored

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
Hey All,

I'm investigating getting a new JL, and believe I have found the one I wanted. However, it's at a dealer that's fairly far from me - about 3.5hrs away. Would it be worth it for me to work through my local dealer, or just deal with the dealer that actually has the JL but is further away? Here are my current thoughts on it:

- I don't have a problem taking a day and driving to the dealer to 'do the deal', but obviously that's a full day. Locally should be less time.
- I'm assuming my local dealer can transfer the JL in - not sure if that helps or hurts my chances of getting a great deal.
- The only interaction I've ever had with my local dealer is a very brief test drive last fall. They were super busy and after a brief conversation basically just threw me the keys and said 'bring it back in an hour'. They were very nice, and even followed up via email, but not really super 'engaged'.
- Both dealers seem to have good ratings per Google (FWIW)
- Realistically any warranty work is probably going to be done at the local dealer.

Anyone ever been in this situation or have any thoughts?
About 10 years ago I purchased a GMC for my wife which was a year-end closout Denali where there were very few left in dealer inventory. GM was giving $5000 cash back and I had an EP certification, so there wasn't much bargining to be done. The one I found was in the neighboring state, about a 5 hour drive. I approached my local dealership to see if they would be willing to get it from the other dealer, which they did. They ended up taking a 2011 GMC out to them in exchange for my 2010. That being said, I have heard a lot of dealers will not make these types of trades anymore unless they are affiliated somehow like same ownership group. All you can do is ask...

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It amazes me how some buyers will drive a new vehicle hundreds of miles at highway speed going against the factory break-in recommendation. If I did that I would worry if I am going to have engine problems. On the other hand there are some owners that obsess over changing oil every 3,000 miles and even analyzing it to see what engine damage may of occurred.
Best of luck.

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
If both local and non-local parties are willing to "dealer trade" then "yeah", why not? Thing is, your local dealer is going to have to give-up a unit of equal or greater desirability in order to get the deal done. I'm sure your local dealer is going to require 100% commitment on your part prior to cutting the check to the non-local dealer in order to secure the trade.

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
It amazes me how some buyers will drive a new vehicle hundreds of miles at highway speed going against the factory break-in recommendation. If I did that I would worry if I am going to have engine problems. On the other hand there are some owners that obsess over changing oil every 3,000 miles and even analyzing it to see what engine damage may of occurred.
Best of luck.
In my case the vehicles were trailered both directions. My wife’s truck had only 9 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
I prefer to buy local. Dealer and their employees spend money locally. I will spend a few hundred dollars extra to buy locally. However, I saved at least $12k on my 2006 Dodge Diesel buying put of state. Many states Lemon Law will not cover out of State purchased vehicles. Usually vehicle must be purchased within the state one resides. Your state laws will vary.

OP
OP
JeepJoe

JeepJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Moab
All - Thanks for all your opinions. It's all been helpful in my decision making process. Pretty much the consensus that I've come to is that it can't hurt to at least start with my local dealer. Even if it doesn't work out, the benefits of possibly doing it through them outweigh going 'direct'.

Thanks again, and I'll try to let everyone know how it goes!
Sponsored