Loading canoe onto roof

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
After considering all of the options, I've pretty much decided on a Rhino Rack Vortex 2 bar which mounts onto the gutter. Something like this.

310761_605D55CB.jpg

Now here comes my embarrassing question.

How do all of you mount your canoes on top? I happen to be vertically challenged (5'7") and although my Rubicon is completely stock, the roof is still quite high for me. It also doesn't help that my canoe is made of a heavy material and weighs around 80lbs.

I'm thinking that unlike that photo, I'll have to mount the two bars closer to the rear with the rear bar as far back as possible. That way, I'd be able to carefully place the bow of the inverted canoe onto the rear bar and then push it forward.

Or better yet, droop a thick blanket over the rear, place the canoe on top of the blanket and push forward. That way, the 16' canoe would be better balanced over the Jeep.
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I'm short too and feel your pain. when I looked into roof rack attachments for my 4Runner, I noticed they made a little roller attachment for the rear crossbar. idea being you put the front of the canoe/kayak on the roller and push it the rest of the way. haven't looked to see if such a thing exists for the Jeep.

you might be interested in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/options-for-carrying-a-canoe-kayak.4207/