Load E tires on Manual Rubicon

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I am shopping for 35 inch tires. Shop recommended the 35 12.5R17 Nitto ridge grapplers Load E.
I have heard that i should stick with C or D load ratings.
Do the E load tires put on extra stress on axles and parts compared to a load C?
I have been told that most 35 inch tires don't come C load except maybe BFG K02.
THe Nittos are heavy. 75 per wheel. Will that extra weight be noticed on the manual?
I often feel that acceleration is not exactly peppy.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Yes itll be noticeable. We have 37s and had to regear to regain use of 6th gear. Yours wont be quite that bad, but if youre anywhere that has hills our mountains you might consider 4.88s. Some people dont mind it lugging a little or losing a gear but driving ours sucked with the stock gears

brett

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes itll be noticeable. We have 37s and had to regear to regain use of 6th gear. Yours wont be quite that bad, but if youre anywhere that has hills our mountains you might consider 4.88s. Some people dont mind it lugging a little or losing a gear but driving ours sucked with the stock gears

brett
so If I go with C rated K02's I should be fine then? They are a bit lighter

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
so If I go with C rated K02's I should be fine then? They are a bit lighter
i dont think the rotational mass is going to make as much of a difference as the diameter. It might be fine. @ChattVol says his drives fine on 35s and hes a 6 speed with rubi axles. Worst case just regear, its pretty simple with immediate results

brett

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am shopping for 35 inch tires. Shop recommended the 35 12.5R17 Nitto ridge grapplers Load E.
I have heard that i should stick with C or D load ratings.
Do the E load tires put on extra stress on axles and parts compared to a load C?
I have been told that most 35 inch tires don't come C load except maybe BFG K02.
THe Nittos are heavy. 75 per wheel. Will that extra weight be noticed on the manual?
I often feel that acceleration is not exactly peppy.
Have a 6 speed running 315/70/17 ko2's with rubi axles/4.10 gearing. I researched this subject alot looking at many different tires wanting best combo of aggressive look/quiet ride/durability/lighter weight/offroad traction for a daily driver doing 25k miles/yr. I chose the 315/70/17 ko2 load c because IMHO looks decently aggressive for a AT, is reliable, rides smooth with rare load c rating and only weighs 62lbs. The 4.10 gearing still has adequate power and I use 6th gear at 70mph plus on the hwy and am at 2000+ rpms. I've taken it offroad twice(mud once) and aired down to 15psi and received comments about how well they flex and wrap around rocks for a non beadlock wheel. I did a chalk test with stock 17×7.5 wheels and at 28psi, it had pretty full contact. I upgraded to quadratec 17×8.5 wheels with 5.2 backspaced wheels and like them better at 30-32 psi on road.

Next time, I may try a 35" load d hybrid ish tire like a Patagonia Milestar, Toyo RT, Dick Cepek Fun Country or Cooper ST Max.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you.
I don’t need to have the Nittos the BFG will be fine. Very confusing all that you have to think about.
I sometimes think I should just say screw It and keep the 33s and just change the rims.
but harder to sell those alone without tires.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thank you.
I don’t need to have the Nittos the BFG will be fine. Very confusing all that you have to think about.
I sometimes think I should just say screw It and keep the 33s and just change the rims.
but harder to sell those alone without tires.
Glad to help. Biggest factors revolve around....what type of driving do you do and what would you like to accomplish going to 35's?

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to help. Biggest factors revolve around....what type of driving do you do and what would you like to accomplish going to 35's?
Really just for looks . I will never off road in mud or rocks. Only sand.
The 35s definitely look better.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Really just for looks . I will never off road in mud or rocks. Only sand.
The 35s definitely look better.
Gotcha...given that and if having a quiet and smooth on road ride is meaningful, I'd defintely recommend 315/70/17 ko2 load c. If on stock wheels, they ride the best and wear evenly at 28psi.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you lose a noticeable amount of acceleration after upgrading? I am wondering how much I’ll notice Theon the manual. Tire guy says it’s slight

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
@ChattVol sorry to revive an old thread but was wondering your opinions on your tire set up vs. BFG ko2 285/75/17 for daily driving comfort, trails, and sand?

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still drives great with 35" ko2's
You have the BFG Load C which is lighter than mine. I have 35" Nitto Ridge grapplers that weigh 75 lbs on their own plus my wheels are 29 lbs I think. I have to say it's sluggish. I've only been driving a few days on them but it's noticeable. Kinda bothers me. I don't want to regear so thinking I may have to go back to stock tires.
Already sold mine lol, so I'll have to buy others. I'm going to give it more time. I wonder about switching to C load but then don't want to have to swap and sell tires again.

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@ChattVol sorry to revive an old thread but was wondering your opinions on your tire set up vs. BFG ko2 285/75/17 for daily driving comfort, trails, and sand?
Hey...I have a 6 speed jlus and went from stock sport 31" hwy tires to Rubicon takeoff wheels/ko2 tires. The power was still very driveable on rd(the automatic transmission seems to do even better than the 6 speed in terms of power), but rubbed the front fenders a good bit with the swaybar disconnected. Here it is with that setup:
JCJCkzE.jpg

I wanted to be able to trail ride...so I added a rubi takeoff suspension($200) from a rubi that had steel bumper package and that lifted it 1.75" and it helped with rubbing and did fine offroad. Here it is with rubi suspension:
z4jq53V.jpg

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Hey...I have a 6 speed jlus and went from stock sport 31" hwy tires to Rubicon takeoff wheels/ko2 tires. The power was still very driveable on rd(the automatic transmission seems to do even better than the 6 speed in terms of power), but rubbed the front fenders a good bit with the swaybar disconnected. Here it is with that setup:
JCJCkzE.jpg

I wanted to be able to trail ride...so I added a rubi takeoff suspension($200) from a rubi that had steel bumper package and that lifted it 1.75" and it helped with rubbing and did fine offroad. Here it is with rubi suspension:
z4jq53V.jpg
Thanks for your response. Do you have pics of your current set up? Debating between a little wider or a little higher. Tire weights seem close.
Sponsored