I admit in moments of weakness after spending nearly $20k in repair/maintenance last year, I've considered trading in my LJ for a JL, but I think the dark times have passed. I'll keep mine, add a JL later.
I'm also torn between replacing my LJ now and with a JLRU. LJ's rock ready and I don't need to worry about trail damage. JLRU going to be $50K plus at least $7K+ for tires, wheels, bumpers, winch, some skids and lift to make it rock ready. Tough decision.
There was a sub-7k mile 2006 LJR (manual!) on eBay with a buy it now price of $30k. Were it not for the inherent uncertainties of eBay, combined with distance, combined with challenges in getting financing, I'd have probably bought that instead of a JL.
(Well, and lack of warranty is also obviously a bit of a downside.)
i almost bought an LJ and worked my way to a brand new JLU lol. the work that i would have needed to put into the LJ (repairs/maintenance) would have equaled the cost of my JLUS, and still wouldnt hold a candle to it. if i had the money id have both. a modern, factory LJ JL would be nice. never going to happen unless it replaces the JL.