First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Occupation
Software
How about the banging coconuts sound from Monty Python's Holy Grail?
I was telling someone Friday that the coconut sound is what I want! It is no less "un-car-like" than the current seashell sound and would be as or more effective in alerting pedestrians.
Sponsored

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
This is probably the most unique 4xe mod that you have ever seen, or HEARD, that is.

Now you may be saying since it’s a 4xe, it doesn’t make sound, right? Well let me introduce you to the ACTIVE EXHAUST SOUND SYSTEM.

First, background: I had a V8 Titan and loved the power and sound from it. Would’ve gone to a 392 if the price difference wasn’t another $50K or even the Diesel if I wasn’t forced to have the red trim.

So obviously getting a 4xe meant I get all the good stuff, but no “sound”. I posted a thread about my initial research on sound systems HERE and HERE and while people pretty much thought I was crazy, another poster later on did create a thread HERE about wanting a sound mod, so I know that I’m not that crazy!

In full disclosure, I will admit that I wasn’t fully committed to 4xe at first, as noted by my Diesel interest HERE and 392 interest HERE (both mainly because I get Power AND Sound). I almost went with the Diesel when I found out I could eliminate the red interior by adjusting settings to a unique build (HERE). But, after getting most of what I want in a new Jeep with the 4xe, it was only the sound that was missing. I even thought about getting a regular exhaust for the 4xe HERE so I can get sound in gas mode, but still wouldn’t get the engine start up sound. Plus would really have to drive it in Manual mode to enjoy the sound and that will kill my MPG.

I started researching ways to get sound from the engine, but really gained traction searching YouTube for “EV Exhaust Sound”. I found many Tesla owners who added a sound system that’s tied into their internal system to get that exhaust sound. It may sound stupid at first, but these are systems connected into your CAN-BUS so the sounds are tied to RPMs and are real sounds.

I found three main distributors (Thor tuning, Milltek, and Kufatec). After speaking and researching them, they all seemed the same. In fact, I think there is just one manufacturer and these are just different distributors, because the devices look exactly the same, price is the same, and all are controlled the same way. Went with Thor because their rep was always available and answered every question I had, promptly. So nothing against Milltek or Kufatec, but it just seems Thors reps are more engaged. However, I don’t think the quality of the devices makes a difference from who it’s coming from. I think they are all the same.

After committing to buying the system ($1000 for one, or $1500 for two), I then had to find anyone who would install this. As you can imagine, everyone I talked to was like, WTF are you talking about. Never mind the fact that we’re talking about a 4xe that hardly anyone has worked on, but now we’re talking about a sound system that is so niche (EV) that no 4x4 store was comfortable with. And of the ones that were willing to try to take a stab at it, were charging 10+ hours for install since it was brand new to them, even though the manufacturer says its no more than 3-4 hours. So I had to expand my search outside of where I live and found a couple places about an hour from me. Ultimately settled on MT Auto in downtown LA, because they are a shop that actually installed a Milltek one on a BMW/Tesla a few years ago, so they had an idea of what I was talking about.

There was a bit of drama during install as Thor made it seem like all we had to do was install it without help, but in reality, they needed to connect to the software DURING install to get the right settings. Mainly because I’m the first Jeep 4xe to use this so they needed the logs to review so they could code it. So while I had to go through this, others with the 4xe won’t because now Thor has the event logs. Considering Thor is based in Russia, coordinating with the 10 hour time difference was a pain. Nonetheless we got all that sorted out. Shout out to the great team at MT Auto for their flexibility and accommodating for me.

Install took about 3 hours and no major modifications needed. They did have to weld a piece to the muffler to hold the device but that was really it. Mainly because there is no space under the 4xe due to all the components. In a regular car, there would be more space so it’s more attaching a big U bolt through and sits next to another part without affecting it. After that, you connect wiring to the CAN-BUS to tie the sound to the RPM. When you hit start (even in electric) it will make a real engine start up sound, and then as the RPMs go up, the sound gets louder. The design/shape of the device allows for authentic exhaust sound. You can select sport cars, muscle cars, among others. And all controlled/adjusted via an app. You can adjust settings like sound, City/Sport, Idle sound, number of chambers, etc. So you can really customize it to your preferred sound.

Here are the videos of some of the options

Driving in Corvette mode. You can hear me drive, then lay off the pedal for bit then step on it again. Whole time was in electric mode

4xe in idle (MB G Wagon 4x4)

4xe in idle (Corvette)

Here are some pics of the Thor ECU unit, and Sound Device
20210610_192746.jpg
20210611_081018.jpg
20210610_192704.jpg
20210610_175111.jpg
20210610_175105.jpg

If are you interested in hearing more sounds, you can download the Thor tuning app from your app store and run it in demo mode and it will play all the different types of vehicles on your phone. Or if you want me to post a video of mine with all the sounds (as well as changing any of the settings i.e. more backfire, less drone, etc.) I can do that.

I know many of you are seeing this kind of a mod for the first time and think it’s like sticking a Topps card on your bike as a kid. I thought the same when I first came across it. And I’m not sure if the videos do it justice, but this is a bad ass mod that I love, and makes the 4xe have everything I could possibly want in my new Jeep. Not to mention the obvious sound, but also the way the device is built, you actually can feel the vibrations when the sound is loud, like a true exhaust.

This is now a beast that is FUN to drive!

What do you guys think?
Can it play any sound? Music? Flatulence? I can see a whole lotta fun could be had!!

Jorrison

First Name
Loris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Installed thor single speaker system on 2.0 motor:
Sounds good at idle and during first meters, but over 40-50 mph cant ear it from inside.
dont know if I need second speaker.
What setting are you using?
Jeep Wrangler JL LJ’s 4xe …with ACTIVE EXHAUST SOUND SYSTEM F4D08CD8-35EB-45C6-A696-87E7AC343820

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Installed thor single speaker system on 2.0 motor:
Sounds good at idle and during first meters, but over 40-50 mph cant ear it from inside.
dont know if I need second speaker.
What setting are you using?
Jeep Wrangler JL LJ’s 4xe …with ACTIVE EXHAUST SOUND SYSTEM F4D08CD8-35EB-45C6-A696-87E7AC343820
Nice! Glad to finally see another person get this.
I have two so maybe that’s why? But also you need to use the custom settings aka “Own” so you can adjust the various sounds and play with it to get it right.
Did you install it yourself?

Jorrison

First Name
Loris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Nice! Glad to finally see another person get this.
I have two so maybe that’s why? But also you need to use the custom settings aka “Own” so you can adjust the various sounds and play with it to get it right.
Did you install it yourself?
yes, I installed myself.
I played some minute with setting, but need to ear it better in and out the car.
Now I set to corvette for the first run, love the backfire effect.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Glad you found something for those that want it. I used to enjoy the sound of my performance vehicles too but have reached that point in my life where noise (and people) really annoy me. I think a lot of that is due to the people in my area with their little whump whump cars with trash can exhaust systems… or the big diesels with straight pipes…. or the bikes cracking the throttle right next to me with the top off.

I’ll save my $2000 and go somewhere where all I can hear is the little electric whir of my 4xe and not have to deal with people. (Yes… I’m now that “get off my lawn” guy)

Jorrison

First Name
Loris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Glad you found something for those that want it. I used to enjoy the sound of my performance vehicles too but have reached that point in my life where noise (and people) really annoy me. I think a lot of that is due to the people in my area with their little whump whump cars with trash can exhaust systems… or the big diesels with straight pipes…. or the bikes cracking the throttle right next to me with the top off.

I’ll save my $2000 and go somewhere where all I can hear is the little electric whir of my 4xe and not have to deal with people. (Yes… I’m now that “get off my lawn” guy)
Well, have a good trip 👍

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
This is awesome.

mgiglio

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
This is great, the 4xe is already somewhat gimicky so why not embrace it and have fun. Definitely looking into this when I get mine.

Sponsored

Jorrison

First Name
Loris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Love it! Which one do you use the most? I find my favorites are the corvette and the MB 4x4.

Also the jingle bells is awesome. I used that while driving around on Christmas
I use corvette. Idle tone at 1/4 and other setting to 1/2. Mb4x4 is very good but not very loud with only 1 speaker.
Hope in future they add some noise to simulate gear change.

Hoote

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Any concerns with it getting wet (even submerged) or muddy when off roading?

Hoote

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This is probably the most unique 4xe mod that you have ever seen, or HEARD, that is.

Now you may be saying since it’s a 4xe, it doesn’t make sound, right? Well let me introduce you to the ACTIVE EXHAUST SOUND SYSTEM.

First, background: I had a V8 Titan and loved the power and sound from it. Would’ve gone to a 392 if the price difference wasn’t another $50K or even the Diesel if I wasn’t forced to have the red trim.

So obviously getting a 4xe meant I get all the good stuff, but no “sound”. I posted a thread about my initial research on sound systems HERE and HERE and while people pretty much thought I was crazy, another poster later on did create a thread HERE about wanting a sound mod, so I know that I’m not that crazy!

In full disclosure, I will admit that I wasn’t fully committed to 4xe at first, as noted by my Diesel interest HERE and 392 interest HERE (both mainly because I get Power AND Sound). I almost went with the Diesel when I found out I could eliminate the red interior by adjusting settings to a unique build (HERE). But, after getting most of what I want in a new Jeep with the 4xe, it was only the sound that was missing. I even thought about getting a regular exhaust for the 4xe HERE so I can get sound in gas mode, but still wouldn’t get the engine start up sound. Plus would really have to drive it in Manual mode to enjoy the sound and that will kill my MPG.

I started researching ways to get sound from the engine, but really gained traction searching YouTube for “EV Exhaust Sound”. I found many Tesla owners who added a sound system that’s tied into their internal system to get that exhaust sound. It may sound stupid at first, but these are systems connected into your CAN-BUS so the sounds are tied to RPMs and are real sounds.

I found three main distributors (Thor tuning, Milltek, and Kufatec). After speaking and researching them, they all seemed the same. In fact, I think there is just one manufacturer and these are just different distributors, because the devices look exactly the same, price is the same, and all are controlled the same way. Went with Thor because their rep was always available and answered every question I had, promptly. So nothing against Milltek or Kufatec, but it just seems Thors reps are more engaged. However, I don’t think the quality of the devices makes a difference from who it’s coming from. I think they are all the same.

After committing to buying the system ($1000 for one, or $1500 for two), I then had to find anyone who would install this. As you can imagine, everyone I talked to was like, WTF are you talking about. Never mind the fact that we’re talking about a 4xe that hardly anyone has worked on, but now we’re talking about a sound system that is so niche (EV) that no 4x4 store was comfortable with. And of the ones that were willing to try to take a stab at it, were charging 10+ hours for install since it was brand new to them, even though the manufacturer says its no more than 3-4 hours. So I had to expand my search outside of where I live and found a couple places about an hour from me. Ultimately settled on MT Auto in downtown LA, because they are a shop that actually installed a Milltek one on a BMW/Tesla a few years ago, so they had an idea of what I was talking about.

There was a bit of drama during install as Thor made it seem like all we had to do was install it without help, but in reality, they needed to connect to the software DURING install to get the right settings. Mainly because I’m the first Jeep 4xe to use this so they needed the logs to review so they could code it. So while I had to go through this, others with the 4xe won’t because now Thor has the event logs. Considering Thor is based in Russia, coordinating with the 10 hour time difference was a pain. Nonetheless we got all that sorted out. Shout out to the great team at MT Auto for their flexibility and accommodating for me.

Install took about 3 hours and no major modifications needed. They did have to weld a piece to the muffler to hold the device but that was really it. Mainly because there is no space under the 4xe due to all the components. In a regular car, there would be more space so it’s more attaching a big U bolt through and sits next to another part without affecting it. After that, you connect wiring to the CAN-BUS to tie the sound to the RPM. When you hit start (even in electric) it will make a real engine start up sound, and then as the RPMs go up, the sound gets louder. The design/shape of the device allows for authentic exhaust sound. You can select sport cars, muscle cars, among others. And all controlled/adjusted via an app. You can adjust settings like sound, City/Sport, Idle sound, number of chambers, etc. So you can really customize it to your preferred sound.

Driving in Corvette mode. You can hear me drive, then lay off the pedal for bit then step on it again. Whole time was in electric mode

4xe in idle (Corvette)

If are you interested in hearing more sounds, you can download the Thor tuning app from your app store and run it in demo mode and it will play all the different types of vehicles on your phone. Or if you want me to post a video of mine with all the sounds (as well as changing any of the settings i.e. more backfire, less drone, etc.) I can do that.

I know many of you are seeing this kind of a mod for the first time and think it’s like sticking a Topps card on your bike as a kid. I thought the same when I first came across it. And I’m not sure if the videos do it justice, but this is a bad ass mod that I love, and makes the 4xe have everything I could possibly want in my new Jeep. Not to mention the obvious sound, but also the way the device is built, you actually can feel the vibrations when the sound is loud, like a true exhaust.

What do you guys think?
You said you had two speakers, where did you install the other one? I have a 4xe as well and would like to copy what you did. Also how do you find the canbus wire?

Hoote

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

4xe in idle (Corvette)

What do you guys think?
Does it sound like the car is making the sounds or like a speaker under the car is making the sounds, if you know what I mean?
Sponsored