Sponsored

Living with a Black Hardtop, in Texas.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Well, yesterday it only hit 98 degrees, and I had to Idle for approx 15 minutes, in the full Texas sun, waiting to pick up my daughter from school. The A/C was on full blast, but it was starting to become warm inside. The air was blowing cold, but couldnt keep up with the Black Hardtops heat. I put my hand to the removable panels, up front, and they were pretty warm. They do look somewhat insulated. My real surprise was touching the roof above the back seats. They arent insulated. They were so hot, I couldn't hold my hand touching it for more that 5 seconds. The heat that radiated from the roof was very intense. This makes me want to RinoLine the Hard Top, in white.
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I've definitely had a warm head since it stopped raining. It cools off if I'm moving. I aim the vents up a bit and it seems to help mix the air a little better.

I'm thinking about buying a set of Hotheads to see how much it helps.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well, yesterday it only hit 98 degrees, and I had to Idle for approx 15 minutes, in the full Texas sun, waiting to pick up my daughter from school. The A/C was on full blast, but it was starting to become warm inside. The air was blowing cold, but couldnt keep up with the Black Hardtops heat. I put my hand to the removable panels, up front, and they were pretty warm. They do look somewhat insulated. My real surprise was touching the roof above the back seats. They arent insulated. They were so hot, I couldn't hold my hand touching it for more that 5 seconds. The heat that radiated from the roof was very intense. This makes me want to RinoLine the Hard Top, in white.
It's been 105-119 here since June, I installed the hotheads headliner last year and it makes a big difference. Can't think of a time we've been roasting in the Jeep this summer except getting into it after it's sat in the sun for a few hours or longer until the AC works for awhile. We've gotten warm a few times out on the trail if it's 110 or above but at slow or no speeds I expect that, and it's still way better than outside. The hotheads have definitely made a difference though.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Oh, Every time I have to go out, in the Jeep, I always have to scope out a parking space that might.have some sort of shade, or it will be an oven inside for a while.

Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I made custom liners for my JKUR that worked great for $100-120 and a weekend. I'm planning to make new ones for the JL. If you have the time and patience it's a great, low cost project and I would put them up against the $400-500 headliners.

MI Jeep Girl

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU XR Rubicon Firecracker Red
I made custom liners for my JKUR that worked great for $100-120 and a weekend. I'm planning to make new ones for the JL. If you have the time and patience it's a great, low cost project and I would put them up against the $400-500 headliners.
Hi, sounds like a great idea...would you mind sharing pics? TIA

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Hi, sounds like a great idea...would you mind sharing pics? TIA
Here's the link, sorry I don't have better pics. I used 1/4 inch styrofoam board, radiant barrier and automotive headliner. It was all glued together with 3M adhesive spray and attached with 3M double sided tape. In the 9 years I had it it never fell or sagged. I know the person that has it now and still no issues.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/improve-ac-performance-244002/

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You could also paint the top surface of the hard top a reflective color, like white or silver. Just the flat top section, then the color change isn't visible unless you're really tall...

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I'm not sure what your A/C settings are, but definitely have the recirculate ON - if it's not, the AC is working overtime to continually try and cool down hot outside air. Also, if you have AC set to blow just the upper vents, you'll get max air flow to the vents on the back side of the center console that cool the rear passengers.

Also, aim the vents slightly up - remember heat rises, so if you can blow cool air up that way, it won't feel as evil inside.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@The Fixer's recommendations are solid, as are others.

Cracking the windows (even just a half-inch) makes a big difference because it allows the hot air somewhere to go. Also when you first get in, open your door wide and leave it open for a few extra seconds - again, letting the hottest air out since it rises.

If you have Uconnect, the remote start is amazing, too - if it's 80+ outside, it will automatically turn on the A/C for you. Otherwise, I also have the headliner in mine (but with a Hydro Blue hard top) and it's pretty bearable.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have a headliner and it helps considerably.

There is no foam between the panels for many reasons, expansion and water retention being the big issues.

Don't put bedliner on it. It will make it very heavy. Have it painted at a boat shop that is very experienced with fiberglass or a body shop. If I was to get mine done, I would have it painted right over the texture with Awlgrip or Imron in matte white.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I third the window crack, and I have window visors so people can't see that they are cracked and ot keeps rain out, since I'm in South Florida and get a lot of rain.

But it really helps keep the interior temp down while parked.
Sponsored