Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
@Livernois Motorsports
So how much progress have you made on the rev hang during shifts? I.e. - accelerate in 1st gear to above 4K rpm and depress clutch to shift to 2nd…..revs hang at 4K + for a couple seconds before dropping on their own or releasing the clutch in the next gear.
This is what I am interested in getting fixed.
to me personally, I would say that under 90% of situations, it starts coming down immediately on a clutch in, and 80% clutch out situations.
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
to me personally, I would say that under 90% of situations, it starts coming down immediately on a clutch in, and 80% clutch out situations.
You are being modest. I feel the percentage is much higher than that on the street once the engine is warmed up. Keep in mind the RPM's don't drop like a rock, they just immediately begin to slowly drop. Drives great.

However, we still have work to do off road. In 4low if you cruise at steady light throttle a decel event happens every 3-4 seconds. I didn't notice it at the dunes because there is no way to hold your foot steady bouncing over the sand. It was super aggravating in 1st and 2nd gear, I didn't check higher gears or 4hi. It does not occur in 2hi.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Time for an update. My Jeep is a 2021 JLR with 3.6 and manual transmission. I've added steel skids, rock sliders, bumpers and a winch. I've removed the rear seat and hard top. It has 35x11.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers which are on the heavy side. I've also installed a Hooker cat-back exhaust. So it's smack in the middle between stock and a fully modded Jeep in terms of weight and tires.

I live in the flattest place you've ever seen at 700 feet above sea level. I generally cruise around unless I have to get on it to merge with traffic or climb an obstacle. This Jeep is for touring and trail with the wife and pups, it's not a sports car.

Prior to the tune I would shift at 10 MPH per gear; shift to 2nd at 20 MPH, 3rd at 30 MPH, etc. I had no trouble cruising at 60 in 6th, but would need to downshift to accelerate or climb a hill. After the tune and switch to E85 I've had to recalibrate my driving habits. There is a substantial increase in low and mid-range torque. Cruising around town I find myself shifting at least 10 MPH earlier; 3rd below 20 MPH, 4th at 25 or so... In terms of RPM I'm shifting at 1,100 to 1,200. Keep in mind I'm not asking a lot from the engine in terms of acceleration.

Those times when I do get on it the Jeep flat out scoots. I didn't have any issues with rev hang before, probably due to my driving style, and still don't.

Sadly, the tune didn't fix the one issue I had. Off road when descending an incline I would experience sudden deceleration events at seemingly random intervals. It made it very hard to drive smoothly - which matters with two pups sight seeing in the back :) If anything the tune has made it worse. With so much more low end torque I find myself cruising in the 2,000 RPM range just off idle and every 3-4 seconds WHAM the engine goes into deceleration mode, then back to normal like nothing happened. I am seriously considering looking into ditching the stupid drive by wire setup.

The good news is it is almost impossible to replicate this on the street. I did it once in a parking lot. I suppose you might have it happen in a traffic jam in 1st or 2nd. But most of the time on the street you are either accelerating or cruising with more throttle than it takes to trigger the decel event.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Kreepin1

Did you re-gear? Or does the 4:10 gear do that well with 35” tires. I have a manual 2 door Sport and I can run 60mph in 3rd at right around 3k rpm.
It is doing that great with 4:10's. As I recall I'm about 2,000 rpm at 60 in 6th gear and don't need to downshift unless I want to build some speed in a hurry. My daughter drives a 2012 Rubicon with the 3.6 and manual transmission. She borrowed mine while visiting and commented how much more powerful it feels than hers - and she wasn't even hot rodding it. Some of that is the lower first and second gears in the new transmission.

Five Seasons

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2009 BMW 135i, 2002 Honda S2000,
Have any other manual owners purchased the tune ?

Any thoughts as to the effect that the counterforce heavy weight flywheel will have on the driving dynamics with the rev-hang removed ? In theory it could help to keep revs up and prevent any lock up issues no ?

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have any other manual owners purchased the tune ?

Any thoughts as to the effect that the counterforce heavy weight flywheel will have on the driving dynamics with the rev-hang removed ? In theory it could help to keep revs up and prevent any lock up issues no ?
The lock up was due to aggressive driving in the wet with old bald 32" street tires. Now that it's back on 35's with some tread there are no worries. Street driving is a true pleasure.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been running the anti rev hang tune in the rain and snow and have had no issues with the tires slipping. The Jeep now responds like every other manual vehicle I've driven.
Thanks for sharing. Next time I get a good haul of spare change from the sofa, I'll be ordering mine...

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
I'm about to unload my tuner. Switching over to the diesel and have no need for this one anymore.

I assume once I switch it back to stock, the tuner will be able to be used by someone else.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve heard the late ‘21s and ‘22s have a new comp that can’t accept a tune, is that right? I have a ‘22 JT with a 6 speed on order, and my JL is no longer my daily (Kids drive it).

Sponsored

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
I installed the Livernois tune over this past weekend with a lot of dedicated help from Hunter at Livernois- he was a huge help and very knowledgeable.
I love the tune and transmission improvements! Best bang for your buck mod no doubt about it.
Question for folks running the tuner- what do you do to adjust tpms psi level for warning if running bigger tires at mucher lower pressure than stock? I was using the tazer but Livernois does not recommend using after installing their tune. Thanks in advance for any help.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Really, shouldn't use a tazer with their tune? When I installed their tune they said using a tazer is fine. I have been using both for a year and a half with no problems. I wonder what changed.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Tazer

My Jeep was guinea pig for solving the rev hang issue. I'd seen the Tazer compatibility mentioned on this site and asked if I should remove it prior to drop off. They said no, we'll deal with it. Sure enough, there have been zero compatibility issues.

That said I now appreciate that there isn't simply "a tune" that Livernois ships and keeps updated. In fact there are several tunes because FCA changes the software randomly from year to year. Sooo, no problems with my 2021 but your 2020 may be a horse of a different color...

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
@Livernois Motorsports Random question for the Livernois handheld tuner. I am selling my Jeep with 3.6, can I sell my tuner? It's still married to my Jeep as the "stock" tune on the tuner will start the engine and work, but the CEL stays on constantly I assume to the unlocked PCM. Therefore Livernois had the write a stocklike tune to get it to work.

If not, I guess I am out the money and can't sell it. It would go in the trash can.

Mrbuck50again

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
@Tread4Lo
did you ever get an answer to your question? I would be interested in that PCM if it can be sold and re-used. Maybe send them an email direct?
Sponsored