Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Somewhat related, from the owner's manual:

Your vehicle has a simple ignition actuated test, which you can use prior to going to the test station. To check if your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready, you must do the following:

1. Cycle the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not crank or start the engine.​
NOTE: If you crank or start the engine, you will have to start this test over.​

2. As soon as you cycle the ignition switch to the ON position, you will see the “Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)” symbol come on as part of a normal bulb check.​
3. Approximately 15 seconds later, one of two things will happen:​
  • The MIL will flash for about ten seconds and then return to being fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is not ready and you should not proceed to the I/M station.
  • The MIL will not flash at all and will remain fully illuminated until you place the ignition in the off position or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready and you can proceed to the I/M station.
Sponsored

Attachments

Rubicon.MI

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Unfortunately not as without someone willing to give us some seat time with one, we cannot test. Too risky to start making development changes with a customer doing the driving.
I just sent you an email on your website. I’m in the UP so we might be able to work some things out. Just hit me back and we can try to get together.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Not offhand, but did you disconnect the battery? and if so, how many miles have you driven since? I know when we did the emissions test for the gasoline version, it took a crazy long time for those monitors to complete after programming it.
So after driving a few hundred extra miles, I gave up and put the stock ECU back in. 40 miles in and my sensors are now ready(minus EVAP). I think there may be something in the tuned ECU that prevented the O2 and EGR sensors from being ready. Any thoughts? Once I pass inspection I can put the tuned ECU back in and we can go from there.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
So after driving a few hundred extra miles, I gave up and put the stock ECU back in. 40 miles in and my sensors are now ready(minus EVAP). I think there may be something in the tuned ECU that prevented the O2 and EGR sensors from being ready. Any thoughts? Once I pass inspection I can put the tuned ECU back in and we can go from there.
Sorry, I did not see the alert for that, but that is strange, our development truck has them all ran and passed. Shoot me a PM with the serial number again just to look deeper at your specific calibration.

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Sorry, I did not see the alert for that, but that is strange, our development truck has them all ran and passed. Shoot me a PM with the serial number again just to look deeper at your specific calibration.
No worries. I swapped back my ecu and need to check it again now that I drove a week or so. Let me see if it cleared. Didn't clear. PM on the way

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An unrelated, but important item of note, many of you asked that we add a feature to our tuner to display ethanol content, and we are working on it. There will be a tune update that we will post about that adds the ability to see this information on the device as well. We will post when both are ready to go!

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I just sent you an email on your website. I’m in the UP so we might be able to work some things out. Just hit me back and we can try to get together.
Does your 2021 Jeep have the dreaded rev hang? I'd offer my 2021 up for testing but it doesn't seem to have it. I'm wondering if FCA updated the tune on 2021's... What I do hate is the way compression braking comes and goes randomly on the trail...

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does your 2021 Jeep have the dreaded rev hang? I'd offer my 2021 up for testing but it doesn't seem to have it. I'm wondering if FCA updated the tune on 2021's... What I do hate is the way compression braking comes and goes randomly on the trail...
That compression braking randomness is the rev hang. If there were no rev hang, as soon as you ease up on the accelerator your Jeep should lunge forward with the drag of the motor. With the rev hang, there an easy half second where you lift off the accelerator and nothing happens and then you get the lunge.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
That compression braking randomness is the rev hang. If there were no rev hang, as soon as you ease up on the accelerator your Jeep should lunge forward with the drag of the motor. With the rev hang, there an easy half second where you lift off the accelerator and nothing happens and then you get the lunge.
It is likely related but I would have little compression braking for 30 seconds or more then it would suddenly kick in BAM! full compression braking. I can't remember for sure if it ever went the other way, from compression braking to no compression braking but I don't think it did... All I know is it was hard to drive smooth on steep descents.

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
It is likely related but I would have little compression braking for 30 seconds or more then it would suddenly kick in BAM! full compression braking. I can't remember for sure if it ever went the other way, from compression braking to no compression braking but I don't think it did... All I know is it was hard to drive smooth on steep descents.
I've noticed something similar to this while coasting, usually in first or second gear. The initial lack of engine brake would be the rev hang issue, but when engine braking really kicks in I think may be when injectors shut off. That would add to the delayed response in full engine braking. You'll know when the injectors fully shut off if you watch the instant MPG readout - it will hit 99mpg when the injectors are off.

I've also noticed the engine braking is more prevalent the higher you are in the RPM range when you let off throttle. Doesn't seem to happen much under 3K. But if I run it hard upwards of 4K+, I'll notice a much more prevalent rev hang.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so, those of you that are having the rev hang, any of you have videos of it? we have made quite a lot of changes, and think we're on the right path, BUT, since the issue is open to interpretation, a video will help.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
so, those of you that are having the rev hang, any of you have videos of it? we have made quite a lot of changes, and think we're on the right path, BUT, since the issue is open to interpretation, a video will help.
On my 2018, it's easy to time in 1st gear at most any rpm. Hold a speed, say 10 mph, take your foot off the gas and see how long it takes until compression braking occurs and the Jeep lurches. Seat of pants says 1/2 second. I'm not sure how to capture accelerator pedal and rpm in the same shot.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my 2018, it's easy to time in 1st gear at most any rpm. Hold a speed, say 10 mph, take your foot off the gas and see how long it takes until compression braking occurs and the Jeep lurches. Seat of pants says 1/2 second. I'm not sure how to capture accelerator pedal and rpm in the same shot.
ok, then we believe we have it to be greatly reduced save for a small window of engine speed, we will continue plugging away to try to remove this pocket as well.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
ok, then we believe we have it to be greatly reduced save for a small window of engine speed, we will continue plugging away to try to remove this pocket as well.
I'll get a video but if I want the revs to drop to a matching RPM for the next gear before releasing the clutch I'd say it's 1.5-2 seconds of waiting during normal driving and 3 seconds+ if I'm winding it out.

Note that having the AC running reducing the "wait time" substantially.
Sponsored