Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
Does the Livernois tune eliminate/shut off the EGR by any chance? Would love to shut that antiquated piece of technology off lol
We retain all emissions function and hardware with our calibration. Honestly if calibrated properly, the ECM controlled EGR can actually benefit it. but yes, we keep it.

Is this a contributing factor why some of use experience low throttle pinging? I heard from another guy who used HP tuners that the air fuel ratio is overly lean. Does your tuner fox this at cruise lean condition that causes the pinging?
Also any advise on the effects of e85 long term use with your tune? Thanks
These actually aren't lean during the time they ping typically. While it had been awhile since I drove a stock one, I just had the chance to drive a stock 2021 for a week, and it was apparent. The pinging happens at lower RPM and part throttle, an area that would never be in enrichment mode anyways. So this is not the why. 1.0 lambda is Stoich, and is what the truck, and all vehicles ever made are intended to be at part throttle situations. nothing uses "lean cruise" logic anymore as it dramatically increases pollutants. so basically, that person is wrong.

We have about a dozen items that we address in the cal to correct the pinging, but fuel is not one of them.

Bit off topic but is there a factory update for 3.6 engines experiencing pinging? Mines been suffering it since day one and I just get bullshit cover excuses from Jeep.
based on my 2021 rental I hade, nope. and it was loud and frequent.
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had emailed @Livernois Motorsports with some questions, then thought I should maybe ask here as others may be interested as well.

I believe you support the Magnuson supercharger with your tuning... what benefits (other than transmission tuning) do you feel we get with using your tune and the Magnuson SC in tandem? Just curious if you are squeezing out a bit more power, or maybe smoother performance, better reliability?

You guys really seem to know the JL 3.6 better than any tuner I’ve spoken with, and I’d really like to have you do my SC install and tune, but your shop is ~11 hours away. I like a good road trip as much as the next guy, but would it be possible to use a local shop (Pettys Garage, knows the install and has dyno/tuning) to do the install and work with you remotely on the tune?

Lastly, and apologies for so many questions, but is there anything else you’d recommend to go with your tuning and the Magnuson SC? Not just from a power perspective, but something that could help with efficiency, etc? Exhaust, larger throttle body, etc? I know there are lots of variables involved, but just asking for general advice.

Thanks so much for answering, and I’m looking forward to working with you guys soon.
We definitely feel better shifting, more linear response, and more lively performance in comparison to their calibration.

We definitely have people self install, or have installed locally and use our tune. so that is not an issue. Of course, I would say that the trip is worth it, as would possibly doing transportation for it to us, but it's your decision ultimately.

As for recommendations, I would say a cat-back, but that's really about it vs stock for enhanced efficiency with the supercharger.

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
We retain all emissions function and hardware with our calibration. Honestly if calibrated properly, the ECM controlled EGR can actually benefit it. but yes, we keep it.

These actually aren't lean during the time they ping typically. While it had been awhile since I drove a stock one, I just had the chance to drive a stock 2021 for a week, and it was apparent. The pinging happens at lower RPM and part throttle, an area that would never be in enrichment mode anyways. So this is not the why. 1.0 lambda is Stoich, and is what the truck, and all vehicles ever made are intended to be at part throttle situations. nothing uses "lean cruise" logic anymore as it dramatically increases pollutants. so basically, that person is wrong.

We have about a dozen items that we address in the cal to correct the pinging, but fuel is not one of them.

based on my 2021 rental I hade, nope. and it was loud and frequent.
Can I ask how EGR gasses can benefit the motor? Maybe it’s not as bad with gas engines as it is with diesel, but EGRs and the gunk they recirc dramatically lower the life of Diesel engines in my experience. Have they gotten that far advanced with gas EGR engines?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can I ask how EGR gasses can benefit the motor? Maybe it’s not as bad with gas engines as it is with diesel, but EGRs and the gunk they recirc dramatically lower the life of Diesel engines in my experience. Have they gotten that far advanced with gas EGR engines?
A healthy well tuned engine recirculates fairly clean exhaust gasses, no harm no foul. A worn engine or one in need of a tune up and not running properly recirculates gunk back into the engine. EGR isn't a problem but it can compound other problems

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Can you purchase a “spare” ecu that way you can swap out in the event you needed to? Anyone know how much that is? Or maybe even purchase a modded ecu and keep your own stock one.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Can you purchase a “spare” ecu that way you can swap out in the event you needed to? Anyone know how much that is? Or maybe even purchase a modded ecu and keep your own stock one.
Yes, I did it that way. I believe it was another $300.00.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Yes, I did it that way. I believe it was another $300.00.
that’s completely reasonable, I may have to look into this after my engine break in and a couple thousand miles

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I was originally down with the extra PCM approach but someone on one of the threads pointed out if there are any updates flashed at the dealership, it only goes to the installed PCM. There is no way to get it to the extra PCM...so they would be out of sync. Kinda defeats the purpose a bit for me.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I was originally down with the extra PCM approach but someone on one of the threads pointed out if there are any updates flashed at the dealership, it only goes to the installed PCM. There is no way to get it to the extra PCM...so they would be out of sync. Kinda defeats the purpose a bit for me.
Right, you would need to send the unlocked PCM back to Livernois for the update. They do install the latest software before they send it to you. But still a pain for future ones. Too bad it can not be done through an online portal from their end.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a soot heavy engine, I agree it can cause issues, but these don't really have that issue unless you are neglecting the vehicle, like too long between oil changes (which increases oil consumption), or too poor of quality fuel. but the benefits are improved economy primarily, but an egr effect can also improve power under certain conditions.

Indeed you can, 18-19 trucks are usually the cheapest, with the 2020 ones being a little more to do so.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well in truth, the dealership cannot flash our ECM at all. So you would need to be able to have a stock ECM if you really wanted the update. Truth be told though, the updates are pretty much done now since the 3.6 without E-torque is basically disappearing over the next 2 years.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Once you have tuned ECU, you do not need updates. Tune optimizes your engine operation, if tune is updated - you can get free tune update over email and load it on to your Jeep.
Let dealer load pointless updates on the stock ECU.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
So, the ECM is strictly engine (and transmission?) specific? In other words, with the latest TSB for the steering issue, in addition to installing the new box, they had to flash the software...this flash wouldn't have affected the ECM?

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, the ECM is strictly engine (and transmission?) specific? In other words, with the latest TSB for the steering issue, in addition to installing the new box, they had to flash the software...this flash wouldn't have affected the ECM?
correct, and the TCM can still be programmed as well by them, but yes, the steering programming is a different module entirely, so no need to program the ECM

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
On a soot heavy engine, I agree it can cause issues, but these don't really have that issue unless you are neglecting the vehicle, like too long between oil changes (which increases oil consumption), or too poor of quality fuel. but the benefits are improved economy primarily, but an egr effect can also improve power under certain conditions.

Indeed you can, 18-19 trucks are usually the cheapest, with the 2020 ones being a little more to do so.
Thanks for the clarification! One other question...I’m sure it has been asked before, but I have yet to see a definite answer. Is there a purpose to getting a spare ECM for warranty repairs, or will the BCM record and rat an owner out if the ECM is swapped?
Sponsored