Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
Hi guys.

A couple of questions..
First, I am aware of the Coyote stuff you guys do, so the quality of your work is not an issue.

What I would like to know is:

1. How do you achieve the 'flex' in flex tune? I have a fair bit of experience with E85 and am a big fan. I have always used the Continental sensor inthe return line to grab the signal but you guys seem to not use a alcohol sensor. So just wondering how that is being done.

2. It looks like your tunes are locked and I would like to know if there is a way to unlock them? For instance, if I buy the tuner from you and later on want to add headers, or a cold air or whatever, how can I get the tune adjusted?

3. What are the warranty implications. FCA obviously went out of their way to say no to E85 and after you unlock the PCM, what happens to a) factory warranty and b) do you warranty anything yourself if there was to be a problem?

Thank you.
Almost no manufacturers outside of GM uses the fuel composition sensor, and even GM themselves use it on a low percentage of vehicles. There was a sharp uptick in usage on DI engines, but the sensor itself is problematic as it's not actually an ethanol content sensor, it senses water soluble content. So it really is essentially measuring what percentage of gasoline is in the fuel. the problem with this method is water reads the same as ethanol, and ethanol is hygroscopic, so it will show an increase in "ethanol content" as the fuel ages. This is why GM had to come up with logic to have to determine if there was water contamination in the fuel which combined readings from the composition sensor, fuel trims from the o2 sensor, and misfire detection.

Now, everyone else in the industry uses what we use, which is "complex modeling" where it takes a bunch of items like fuel trims, fuel flow rate, time for engine warm up, knock sensor background noise, oil pressure changes, and use them all to come up with a calculated ethanol percentage. GM also employs this method of many of their older PFI engines, but there are some DI engines that use it as well. This method in our opinion is more accurate as water is not combustible, and does not contribute to the o2 readings, so it will not give a false high value like the content sensor does.

Now, as far as tunes and self adjustment. No, there isn't a lock or unlock method for them. Our software enhancement for these, combined with our unlock process, software, and hardware are all proprietary for us. we do no offer a "self tune" option for it, especially as almost every supported modification is included in our update program, which is free of charge for most items, some require the items to be purchased from us for a free update, and some we will be honest that we do not support.

Technically, FCA can void your warranty for any modification to the vehicle, now you may elect to fight them on it, and enter a legal battle, but we fully disclose any tuning has the potential to void your warranty, ethanol aside. Also, the reason they say no ethanol is because the calibration doesn't support ethanol. So they have to say that. All OEM's do the same. Heck, the GM truck's, there is like 5 differences between the flex fuel, and non flex fuel version, and it's like 2 fuel lines, the sensor, a wiring harness, and a bracket for the sensor, then it's just a software change. but if you have the truck without the sensor, it will tell you in plain english you cannot run E85. It has nothing to do with the engine, or fuel system not being able to handle it, but it still says it. Ford does this on their 5.0 in the F150, and the 7.3 in the F250/350/450. it's a calibration change between the trucks that do and don't have flex fuel. but the manual still says no ah ah.
Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Thanks for the info..

Out of curiosity, how does oil pressure delta get affected by Ethanol?

Also, with respect to future tunes, if I want to add a supercharger, there won't be any support from you guys, unless I purchase my supercharger from you (if you end up selling one)?

oil pressure changes,

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info..

Out of curiosity, how does oil pressure delta get affected by Ethanol?

Also, with respect to future tunes, if I want to add a supercharger, there won't be any support from you guys, unless I purchase my supercharger from you (if you end up selling one)?
We actually already support the magnuson, so as long as that is the unit you are going with, we've got it handled. If you use their injectors you lose flex fuel, but if you do our version of the kit, which comes with a BAP and injectors of our own choosing, we can keep flex fuel.

So ethanol is a solvent, and it dilutes oil especially when cold before the oil has the ethanol boil off out of it. so it will impact the rate of thinning vs temp. it's a crazy small portion of the model, but a portion nonetheless. Also, there is an oil degradation model that will prompt for more frequent changes with ethanol.

So yeah, it's crazy involved to make this all work.

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
@Livernois Motorsports this might be a dumb question but if I purchase this tune and end up with a hamburger surpercharger kit down the road (in the next 2-3yrs), are you able to say whether or not you’ll support that and if I could see these HP and torque tune numbers on top of the hamburger numbers?

would it be something I have to send my PCM back in for or could I download the tunes?

breezytrees

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sting grey gladiator
In Utah we don't have 93 due to altitude. Is there a 91 tune option?

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
My tuner included 87, 91 & 93 along with the transmission tune. All of which are e85 capable from my understanding.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Livernois Motorsports this might be a dumb question but if I purchase this tune and end up with a hamburger surpercharger kit down the road (in the next 2-3yrs), are you able to say whether or not you’ll support that and if I could see these HP and torque tune numbers on top of the hamburger numbers?

would it be something I have to send my PCM back in for or could I download the tunes?
As of today, we really don't have plans to support centrifugal superchargers for these, but we do support the magnuson system already. That may change, but we already feel that these are too lazy down low, and really shine with a roots supercharger on them so that power comes on immediately.

In Utah we don't have 93 due to altitude. Is there a 91 tune option?
indeed we have 91 as well, the gains are smaller than 93, but only by about 4hp.

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
I just completed my order and paid my invoice for the MyCalibrator, programming cable, and a new PCM. I can't wait to get this sucker installed!

And a side note, I do have a manual 6 speed, so I'll write up a Review once it's all up-and-running.

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
I just completed my order and paid my invoice for the MyCalibrator, programming cable, and a new PCM. I can't wait to get this sucker installed!

And a side note, I do have a manual 6 speed, so I'll write up a Review once it's all up-and-running.
I was thinking about doing the same, including ordering a new PCM so that it's easy to swap out and maintain the warranty. I didn't see the option to order the new PCM too though.

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking about doing the same, including ordering a new PCM so that it's easy to swap out and maintain the warranty. I didn't see the option to order the new PCM too though.
Just ping @Livernois Motorsports here on the forum and they'll whip you up a quote.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just ping @Livernois Motorsports here on the forum and they'll whip you up a quote.

definitely the popular thing to do, most other models we support they send in their ECM for an unlock, but you can tell JL/JT owners like to keep their vehicles operational at all times!

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Us 6 speed manual drivers are anxiously awaiting your review!

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With everybody hating on the rev hang, what is it you don't like about it? I'm not poking or making fun, but trying to see where you're coming from is all.

I rarely get that high in the rev range unless I'm getting on a freeway on-ramp. And even then, I'm scooting pretty good and shifting pretty fast, so it's not like i'm letting it sit there for a while, waiting for it to drop before shifting.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
With everybody hating on the rev hang, what is it you don't like about it? I'm not poking or making fun, but trying to see where you're coming from is all.

I rarely get that high in the rev range unless I'm getting on a freeway on-ramp. And even then, I'm scooting pretty good and shifting pretty fast, so it's not like i'm letting it sit there for a while, waiting for it to drop before shifting.
It's a psychological thing. It hurts me to up shift quickly and make the clutch equalize the 2500 rpm differential, even if it doesn't hurt the clutch itself quite so much, though shock loading the drivetrain is never great for long-term-durability

Also, It's a pride-in-your-skills kinda problem. I challenge myself to perfectly rev match downshifts and upshifts. Why? When successful, I feel a part of the machine. When I miss it, or can't wait for revs to drop, I'm disappointed in myself.

Does there HAVE to be a legit reason to hate on rev hang?
Sponsored