Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
How did you like 4.88 gears before the tune? Did your MPG increase? I keep going back and forth between 4.88 and 5.13. I was leaning towards 5.13,. Maybe it be better to go 4.88 to bring it back close to stock and add the tune like you did.
I was “ok” with just the gears. The trans would hunt between 7-8 every once in a while while cruising at 70-75mph. But I’ve got a heavy rig on 4.5” lift. The tune added roughly 1-2mpg since it will hold 8th way better.

It all depends on how much your rig weighs and where you live before I’d recommend 4.88 or 5.13 gears. I’d still like to do 5.13 to help compensate for rolling weight, wind drag and interstate hills. But, I’m content with 4.88 for now.
Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Hand calculated mpg? Or using the gauge that’s incorrect due to the way the pulsar works?
whats your understanding of how the pulsar works?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
whats your understanding of how the pulsar works?
You didn't answer my question. But my understanding is it's an inline/piggyback module that manipulates the data the primary ECM sees into running different timing/AFR, etc, as well as possibly directly manipulating the injector duty cycle and throttle position. Any time you manipulate inputs and outputs from the ECM, you can't trust the MPG gauge. In fact, you can't really trust the MPG gauge when you aren't manipulating it.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
You didn't answer my question. But my understanding is it's an inline/piggyback module that manipulates the data the primary ECM sees into running different timing/AFR, etc, as well as possibly directly manipulating the injector duty cycle and throttle position. Any time you manipulate inputs and outputs from the ECM, you can't trust the MPG gauge. In fact, you can't really trust the MPG gauge when you aren't manipulating it.
correct- i didnt answer your question.

i sometimes find it helpful to ask questions before answering them, because it helps me determine if Im about to learn something, teach something, or just be frustrated.

the hand calc for the 23.4 run was within 5% of displayed and over 22mpg. Im going to be doing others to see if the results are consistent. So far, all of the runs I hand calc back stopped have been over 20mpg.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
What MPG are you getting after you re-gear to 4.88 gear with the Pulsar tune?
i havent tested it yet. I want to make sure the gears are fully broken in and not inducing additional drag before doing so.

i dont think ill see much (if any) of an improvement, though. My working assumption is that the added power let it sit in 8th enough that going down in gearing wont help the highway cruising mpg in my area. i could be wrong, though. It may downshift leas through the hilly sections in central VA enough to be a benefit.

in retrospect, i wish i had put several hundred lbs in the back and done it, because i think even if there doesnt turn out to be a benefit from the gears; i suspect there would be once laden.

we’ll see. Im not sure what the results will be. I can logic through it going up or down, but good or bad ill post the results 🤷🏼‍♂️

lets move this to another thread so we dont crap up the livernois one further. Theyre a great company making a great product and i dont want to jack the thread further.

moto_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
For what it's worth, I ran the pulsar on my truck for a week until it randomly threw me into limp mode on a back road. Sent it back immediately after that and am now happily running the Livernois 93 tune.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
For what it's worth, I ran the pulsar on my truck for a week until it randomly threw me into limp mode on a back road. Sent it back immediately after that and am now happily running the Livernois 93 tune.
I ordered mine last week (with spare PCM), may I ask how long the process took (ordering to delivery) in your case? Thanks!

moto_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
I ordered mine last week (with spare PCM), may I ask how long the process took (ordering to delivery) in your case? Thanks!

I debated the spare PCM but ended up just sending in my stock PCM and am hoping the communistwealth of Massachusetts inspection doesn't notice. Once they received it, it took 2 days to unlock and 3 days through UPS ground. You can also opt for quicker shipping if you need.

The 87 tune wasn't very exciting, slight increase in power and throttle response. Once I put on the 93 tune it was a night and day difference, it actually took me by surprise how much more torque they squeezed out of it, even at lower rpms!

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I was “ok” with just the gears. The trans would hunt between 7-8 every once in a while while cruising at 70-75mph. But I’ve got a heavy rig on 4.5” lift. The tune added roughly 1-2mpg since it will hold 8th way better.

It all depends on how much your rig weighs and where you live before I’d recommend 4.88 or 5.13 gears. I’d still like to do 5.13 to help compensate for rolling weight, wind drag and interstate hills. But, I’m content with 4.88 for now.

Nice to see your positive feedback on the 4.88's & Livernois tune! I was going to stay with 35's on my Rubi 2-door 3.6/auto and try a Livernois tune before deciding if I wanted to re-gear to 4.56's, however decided to go with the soon-to-be-realeased 37x12.50R17 KO2's in load range C...So now have ordered 4.88 gears for the rear and a UD44 w/4.88's for the front-will do the Livernois tune as soon as the new tires arrive, can't wait!

Sponsored

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Those that have it, was it a bit of a headache going through the process? I'm experiencing a completely unnecessary amount of back and forth with them to get anything done. There doesn't appear to be any documentation covering the process (purchasing tuner + unlocked PCM) end to end.

schwizzie

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Those that have it, was it a bit of a headache going through the process? I'm experiencing a completely unnecessary amount of back and forth with them to get anything done. There doesn't appear to be any documentation covering the process (purchasing tuner + unlocked PCM) end to end.
I found the whole process pretty easy. I am currently overseas so I communicated almost solely through email and they responded within 24 hours or so each time. Try giving them a call?

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
It was a bit of back and forth but nothing terrible. I did it all through email and they were great. There is probably no standard documentation as this is a slightly more custom solution than the competitors. Plus buying an unlocked pcm has its own steps in the process that can vary a little.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I will start by saying they were very nice, answered all my questions and turn out a great product.

But yes, I thought there was a bit more back and forth than was needed. If there was more detail on their part it could have saved me a few phone calls and sped the whole process along for sure.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Pulled the trigger on this today. I am a stock Rubicon except for a AFE dry filter. When I get it installed and some miles underneath my belt, I will post another review.

I already run 93 octane in the 3.6, so keeping with that. I will not go to e85, no place around here has it. The 93 has good enough gains.
Sponsored