Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
I am not sure where the misinformation came from, but as mentioned throughout this thread there are 2 things you "need" to purchase to get our engine and transmission tuning:

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP621154

and

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP621000

That's it

Now, of course if you want a spare ECM that is an additional cost, but $745 + shipping for the ecm unlock, tuner, bypass cable, and tuning, I am not sure how that is priced "way too high"

Take into account what others mentioned, and even your own mentioning of how every other option in the marketplace has mediocre, or actually negative reviews for their results, and I can't find the dots to connect.

Is there something else under $6500, let alone under $800 that can add 50+ HP on these that I am unaware of?

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, BUT If you are expecting all of this for half the money, I would say it's time to get out of the 1990's for tuning prices.
Let me ask this...
I have an unlocked pcm that I bought with my superchip flashcal, can I send that one in after returning to stock to be tuned, and use my oem pcm while its being programmed? If so, what is the cost of the tune only? Thanks.
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
i know. thats what i meant. You usually dont see conversion to open loop tables until a certain rpm or engine load.

were you guys able to ascertain any reason why the JL tune is detuned from the GC or Charger tunes?
Actually, it sort of isn't. this is a different 3.6 Pentastar than is used in anything except I believe the DT Ram, the LA/LC/LX and WK all use the gen 1 "enhanced" engine, as opposed to the Gen 2 engine. So EGR, VVL, and higher compression in the sake of emissions compliance.

Interesting... Do you know if this is why the 2.0 doesn't appear to be restricted as much when compared to the car versions, in that due to its small size it's working harder and therefore needing to enter enrichment earlier to protect the engine/cat? Wouldn't being in boost require enrichment anyway?

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this... It's a complicated topic.
Turbo engines usually don't change much in logic as their enrichment is usually boost/load and temp based no matter the size vehicle. Very few delay enrichment at WOT, unless there is lag. GM is famous for doing this on their turbo engines, not only delaying them, but then also telling them that even if they enter into enrichment, don't actually command any additional fuel until a certain point.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me ask this...
I have an unlocked pcm that I bought with my superchip flashcal, can I send that one in after returning to stock to be tuned, and use my oem pcm while its being programmed? If so, what is the cost of the tune only? Thanks.

my clear answer? maybe.

I would say the confidence level of this is about 80-85%, so long as it's already been installed and used in the vehicle and properly functions.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my clear answer? maybe.

I would say the confidence level of this is about 80-85%, so long as it's already been installed and used in the vehicle and properly functions.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I keep getting multiple codes with this tuner. I am swapping my oem pcm back in sometime to see if its a tune issue, or the pcm I received from them? I'm guessing, if the codes persist, it's a jeep issue, and not pcm?

I guess my other option would be continue to run this one, with the codes, and have my oem pcm re-tuned?? Presuming there would be a cost to unlock however?

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the quick reply.
I keep getting multiple codes with this tuner. I am swapping my oem pcm back in sometime to see if its a tune issue, or the pcm I received from them? I'm guessing, if the codes persist, it's a jeep issue, and not pcm?

I guess my other option would be continue to run this one, with the codes, and have my oem pcm re-tuned?? Presuming there would be a cost to unlock however?
With both their would be because our unlock is different and unique to us. so to us, the cost is the same. I would agree that if the codes persist, it's the truck more than likely. out of curiosity, what are the codes?

Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With both their would be because our unlock is different and unique to us. so to us, the cost is the same. I would agree that if the codes persist, it's the truck more than likely. out of curiosity, what are the codes?
There have been quite a few that come and go. Upon one scan, it said “too many error codes, please contact dealer”, lol.
These are the two that are always present, even after clearing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Livernois Mycalibrator Tune Claims 50HP Gains (on E85) for V6 JL Wrangler 38FB851B-563E-45AF-B55C-0B8A561C95BF
Jeep Wrangler JL Livernois Mycalibrator Tune Claims 50HP Gains (on E85) for V6 JL Wrangler 9174D762-0746-48B9-AE68-F154CBFD6E51

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so to me, that seems like a potential issue with whatever bypass system they are using, it's probably freaking out the communications across the bus. have you tried removing that and seeing if codes persist?

It of course could also have a 100% legit issue, but medium speed canbus is not used for anything powertrain related (well, almost nothing at least), it's just for body control stuff usually.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so to me, that seems like a potential issue with whatever bypass system they are using, it's probably freaking out the communications across the bus. have you tried removing that and seeing if codes persist?

It of course could also have a 100% legit issue, but medium speed canbus is not used for anything powertrain related (well, almost nothing at least), it's just for body control stuff usually.
Haven’t had a chance to swap oem back in, hope to this weekend. Jeep runs fine, just has cel on at all times.

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Does the Livernois tune eliminate/shut off the EGR by any chance? Would love to shut that antiquated piece of technology off lol

Sponsored

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
This is done for a bunch of reasons, but mostly it's CAFE and Emissions related. since trucks take far more throttle input to get going, they're more likely to go into enrichment if they were calibrated like a car. Because of this, they would likely fail an EPA drive cycle as that's actually a mandate that you cannot go into enrichment unless it's protecting the engine, or emissions components. So they delay the enrichment based on time, speed, rpm, or modeled catalyst temp.

So it makes sense, but not from a performance standpoint.
Is this a contributing factor why some of use experience low throttle pinging? I heard from another guy who used HP tuners that the air fuel ratio is overly lean. Does your tuner fox this at cruise lean condition that causes the pinging?
Also any advise on the effects of e85 long term use with your tune? Thanks

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Ill grant that the livernois tune is done “right” and it seems like the majority of other ones on the market arent. Superchips/diablo seem to see a lot of problems. Same with pulsar, although supposedly the new motherboard has fix it. In any case, reflashing carries warranty concerns.

the v6 needs more power and imo is too high compression for 87. Not sure what im going to do with it yet. Super charging is expensive; and the prices charged for hemi conversions are absurd.

my need is more power down low. I rented a sahara this summer in co and averaged 24-25mpg. Mine is only getting 17-18, and it just doesnt have the power to turn the mud terrain tires even only 33” ones. Its constantly hunting down to 5, 6, and 7th gear. And taking a bunch of throttle to maintain speed on the highway, so mileage plummets.

the theory i have is the pcm update this last summer. I think they had to pull timing and add fuel to stop the pinging on 87. Just my guess though. People are reporting big drops in mpg after the reflash.
Bit off topic but is there a factory update for 3.6 engines experiencing pinging? Mines been suffering it since day one and I just get bullshit cover excuses from Jeep.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Bit off topic but is there a factory update for 3.6 engines experiencing pinging? Mines been suffering it since day one and I just get bullshit cover excuses from Jeep.
there was one for misfires, i believe. People were reporting reduced issues as well as fuel economy tanking After the update. Its purely my speculation that detonation was another reason.

ill admit im a bit out of date and havent done any ecu tuning in quite a while, but 87 on a motor with compression this high, i found odd. Ive been running higher grade in mine; although i havent had issues the times ive run 87. My fuel mileage is shit and i think mine rolled off the lot with the revision.

detonation should throw a code. Run a scan; have dealer check for latest ecu revision. And pull all of your spark plugs. If youre detonating, you should see small flecks of silverish metal on your plugs. if you find metal on the plugs, check to see if your o2 sensors look the same. They adjust for afr in closed loop which adjusts STFT and should adjust LTFT as well. If one looks “hotter” than the other on a bank that coincides with a suspicious plug, then my guess is o2 sensor is sending bad data.

Bout all i can suggest, im afraid, but its where id start. Good luck.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
what are you experiencing that leads you you to conclude it is detonation?

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I had emailed @Livernois Motorsports with some questions, then thought I should maybe ask here as others may be interested as well.

I believe you support the Magnuson supercharger with your tuning... what benefits (other than transmission tuning) do you feel we get with using your tune and the Magnuson SC in tandem? Just curious if you are squeezing out a bit more power, or maybe smoother performance, better reliability?

You guys really seem to know the JL 3.6 better than any tuner I’ve spoken with, and I’d really like to have you do my SC install and tune, but your shop is ~11 hours away. I like a good road trip as much as the next guy, but would it be possible to use a local shop (Pettys Garage, knows the install and has dyno/tuning) to do the install and work with you remotely on the tune?

Lastly, and apologies for so many questions, but is there anything else you’d recommend to go with your tuning and the Magnuson SC? Not just from a power perspective, but something that could help with efficiency, etc? Exhaust, larger throttle body, etc? I know there are lots of variables involved, but just asking for general advice.

Thanks so much for answering, and I’m looking forward to working with you guys soon.
Sponsored