Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It's a psychological thing. It hurts me to up shift quickly and make the clutch equalize the 2500 rpm differential, even if it doesn't hurt the clutch itself quite so much, though shock loading the drivetrain is never great for long-term-durability

Also, It's a pride-in-your-skills kinda problem. I challenge myself to perfectly rev match downshifts and upshifts. Why? When successful, I feel a part of the machine. When I miss it, or can't wait for revs to drop, I'm disappointed in myself.

Does there HAVE to be a legit reason to hate on rev hang?
Those of us with 3.45 gears have to wait a solid ~2+ seconds between high rev shifts. It's a little better with the AC on to slow the motor.
Sponsored

kwenzel

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
With everybody hating on the rev hang, what is it you don't like about it? I'm not poking or making fun, but trying to see where you're coming from is all.

I rarely get that high in the rev range unless I'm getting on a freeway on-ramp. And even then, I'm scooting pretty good and shifting pretty fast, so it's not like i'm letting it sit there for a while, waiting for it to drop before shifting.
Speaking for myself, it's a massive impediment to shifting quickly. It actually simulates no-lift shifting, which is bad for your clutch (forces slip as soon as the clutch engages and tries to bring the revs down to where they should be). There's a reason that sequential systems do a brief throttle cut under no-lift shifting.

Because of this it (for me) makes shifting semi-miserableā€”so while it's great that this platform still offers a manual in this day and age, 50% of the usual joy is missing, unless I just want to shift slowly, wait before letting out the clutch, etcā€”and if that's the case why not get an auto and let it deal with that itself, IMHO.

Note that with mine, you don't have to buzz redline for it to hang, it'll do it at 2500 just fine (although it seems inconsistentā€”I suppose it it's for emissions purposes, there might be that the ECU is making decisions on RPM based on variables I'm unaware of).

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
So you have ONE buyer lined up! Time to divert funds for development! :CWL: :facepalm:
AS SOMEONE THAT HAS A MANUAL IM DEFINITELY INTERESTED IN GETTING RID OF THE LOW RPM SURGING AND HAVE A JEEP THAT RUNS A LOT BETTER THEN IT DOES NOW.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
At least the rev-hang gives plenty of time for the synchros to... synchronize.

What's interesting is that one of the functions of the BSG is actually to slow the motor down between shifts, probably to lessen the load on the auto transmission & achieve quicker upshifts. So they went out of their way to make the shifts slower on the manual (for emissions), but the CAFE friendly eTorque models have faster shifts...

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
Well, one thing we can do as we are getting a rash of requests to leave the ESS system on, we can make it default to off when you start it, so you have the option to turn it on if you want it on! Just another little variation for people on this!

Sponsored

kwenzel

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
At least the rev-hang gives plenty of time for the synchros to... synchronize.

What's interesting is that one of the functions of the BSG is actually to slow the motor down between shifts, probably to lessen the load on the auto transmission & achieve quicker upshifts. So they went out of their way to make the shifts slower on the manual (for emissions), but the CAFE friendly eTorque models have faster shifts...
This makes me sad.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Well, one thing we can do as we are getting a rash of requests to leave the ESS system on, we can make it default to off when you start it, so you have the option to turn it on if you want it on! Just another little variation for people on this!
I like this as an option. There are times at long lights or intentional stoppages that it would be nice to have on, but default to off is ideal since most lights Iā€™ve noticed are quick and the constant off/on for 5 seconds of savings is not worth the wear and tear.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
And anotherā€”to be honest, I'd love more power, but I likely wouldn't bother with any solution that didn't also remove the rev hang.
I've been waiting also for the rev hang remedy. I passed a car with my windows open and as I shifted and was passing him I could here the revs hanging high. It sounded awful and made me ease the clutch as I waited for the revs to drop, horrible!! This system belongs on a two stroke dirtbike not a vehicle !

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been waiting also for the rev hang remedy. I passed a car with my windows open and as I shifted and was passing him I could here the revs hanging high. It sounded awful and made me ease the clutch as I waited for the revs to drop, horrible!! This system belongs on a two stroke dirtbike not a vehicle !
We will keep trying to get a local customer to work with on this since our original one has gone radio silent.

I like this as an option. There are times at long lights or intentional stoppages that it would be nice to have on, but default to off is ideal since most lights Iā€™ve noticed are quick and the constant off/on for 5 seconds of savings is not worth the wear and tear.
Honestly this will probably become our new default approach since it effectively disables it, but still give the flexibility of turning it back on without reprogramming the vehicle.

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
As of today, we really don't have plans to support centrifugal superchargers for these, but we do support the magnuson system already. That may change, but we already feel that these are too lazy down low, and really shine with a roots supercharger on them so that power comes on immediately.

indeed we have 91 as well, the gains are smaller than 93, but only by about 4hp.
So - how does your kit work paired with the Magnuson SC? Is the Livernois tune for a JL with Maggie SC the same as your tune for a non-SCā€™d JL? Thanks !

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So - how does your kit work paired with the Magnuson SC? Is the Livernois tune for a JL with Maggie SC the same as your tune for a non-SCā€™d JL? Thanks !
no, dramatically different, but we have a calibration for that. it would be a separate calibration entirely. but we do have that as an option.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
no, dramatically different, but we have a calibration for that. it would be a separate calibration entirely. but we do have that as an option.
Awesome thank you. Welcome any additional info. I think the OEM tune for the Maggie blower is getting mixed reviews.

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
If you took away the syncronizers in the transmission, i bet you would find quite a few complaints. with how bad the stock tune is ,they wont be lasting to long anyway.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
If you took away the syncronizers in the transmission, i bet you would find quite a few complaints. with how bad the stock tune is ,they wont be lasting to long anyway.
Sorry - what is ā€œtheyā€ in your last sentence?
Sponsored