Sponsored

Live: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Press Briefing

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It's a magnesium frame with aluminum sheeting.
It still irks me that going to a 35 on the gate means having to get the reinforcement kit, despite the fact they added those goofy hangers on the inside to hang stuff. And that's not because of any kind of design limitation or added cost, either. They want you to fork over that extra dough to buy more parts.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It still irks me that going to a 35 on the gate means having to get the reinforcement kit, despite the fact they added those goofy hangers on the inside to hang stuff. And that's not because of any kind of design limitation or added cost, either. They want you to fork over that extra dough to buy more parts.
You don't need to get the reinforcement for 35s. They said specifically that the 3rd brake light can be raised to accomodate 35s.

I think the reinforcement kit is for 37s.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Think about that. You’re complaining about the ability to put a freakin’ 35’ tire on your tailgate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need to get the reinforcement for 35s. They said specifically that the 3rd brake light can be raised to accomodate 35s.

I think the reinforcement kit is for 37s.
They specifically associated the reinforcement bracket in the JPP interview video and their outfitted JL at the LA Auto Show (green one) with 35" and up tires.

Think about that. You’re complaining about the ability to a freakin’ 35’ tire on your tailgate.
Yes. You are correct. I am complaining that the tailgate can't hold a larger tire on its own without customers having to fork over extra dough for an additional part when they could've just made it a tad stronger as stock with minimal effort.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I just caught this video as TFLNow started live streaming. I requested TFL to ask why the diesel is not an option for two door Wranglers, and TFL said they would inquire about it. I was the first question posted, so hopefully they have some good news for us!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
They specifically associated the reinforcement bracket in the JPP interview video and their outfitted JL at the LA Auto Show (green one) with 35" and up tires.

Yes. You are correct. I am complaining that the tailgate can't hold a larger tire on its own without customers having to fork over extra dough for an additional part when they could've just made it a tad stronger as stock with minimal effort.
Hanging a 35” tire on a cantilevered hinge is a bad idea long term no matter how much you reinforce it.

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am really impressed with the new soft top. As much as I love the power top, I am a firm believer that the Jeep looks much better fully topless. With the soft being much easier to remove, looks they made my decision easy.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hanging a 35” tire on a cantilevered hinge is a bad idea long term no matter how much you reinforce it.
My Jeep has been shaken around more than a paranoid sociopath coming off her meds and my gate with the 35" tire attached to it is fine. Of course, the JK gate is laughably weak on its own, so I've got the Teraflex hinge plate for it, but I'm not running any special tire carrier nor the extended bump stops and I've had no issues whatsoever.

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am really impressed with the new soft top. As much as I love the power top, I am a firm believer that the Jeep looks much better fully topless. With the soft being much easier to remove, looks they made my decision easy.
Yes, makes me wish I ordered a soft top too. I'll probably go with a TrekTop NX Plus if/when Bestop makes them for the JL.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My Jeep has been shaken around more than a paranoid sociopath coming off her meds and my gate with the 35" tire attached to it is fine. Of course, the JK gate is laughably weak on its own, so I've got the Teraflex hinge plate for it, but I'm not running any special tire carrier nor the extended bump stops and I've had no issues whatsoever.
It’s not a problem while closed, it’s while it’s open. So you paid extra to reinforce your jk, but your pissed Jeep isn’t giving you this for free on the jl?

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
It’s not a problem while closed, it’s while it’s open. So you paid extra to reinforce your jk, but your pissed Jeep isn’t giving you this for free on the jl?
They are giving us a big brake kit ~$1400 from Teraflex and a sport cage and A pillar handles, 3 things you would have to go to the aftermarket for on a JK.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase