Little things you discovered on your JL

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Couple things here. First, why would someone randomly push the start button when you're in close proximity? Sorry, I see this as a little far fetched. I know none of my friends or family would do this...and why would they? Weird scenario there, I think.

Secondly, if the battery on the FOB is dead, it can still be used to start the vehicle. The proximity chip requires no power to still work. Simply hold the FOB against the start button and push the button. Still works. Even if the remaining electronics are toast due to being forgotten in your swim trunks. Yes, you'll have to replace it and they're not cheap, but I'm sure you would have learned a valuable lesson about remembering next time. Your reliability argument is invalid...unless, of course, you plan on running it over, then you may have one there.

Sorry, but it seems like you're just against it because everybody else is for it. Or you're just an old curmudgeon who is set in his ways and refuses to adapt. Either way, maybe the new JL just isn't for you.
Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
You could go for a swim with that key and it'd be fine... this isnā€™t a new concept.
Yeah, youā€™d just end up at the bottom of a river/lake, brought there by the weight of it, and drawn to death...
BUT the FOB would be fine lol

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I am all for technology, but not at the expense of reliability. Anything that compromises the reliability or security of my vehicle, I am not in favor of.

The keyless electronic FOB compromises on reliability and security, so I am not sure why people here stroke it so much?

No one has been able to logically with empirical evidence explain to me why I would desire a keyless electronic FOB over a mechanical key. They just say things like "It's cool".

Well something being "cool" or "different" isn't a persuading factor to me. Having my key break because it gets wet and strands me with my vehicle is!

Having someone push the start button against my will because the key is in proximity is!

Having to find a place to store the stupidly large bulky key fob (and associated attached house / work keys) instead of just hanging in the ignition is.

Again, why should I desire a electronic non durable keyless fob and a push button start?
Your carā€™s just been delivered !!!

930D98B0-64BC-425E-8FE6-077A73AFFE58.jpeg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I am all for technology, but not at the expense of reliability. Anything that compromises the reliability or security of my vehicle, I am not in favor of.
Because keys have never been known to break off in the ignition?

This is not new technology. Two users on a forum reporting issues on their first run vehicles (350 of which are being built per day, currently) does not equal poor reliability.

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Vehicle Showcase
Your carā€™s just been delivered !!!

930D98B0-64BC-425E-8FE6-077A73AFFE58.jpeg
hey, that's not a bad ground clearance... and i kinda dig the rims.
It's a 2-door convertible with built in steps, fog lights come standard, and I believe so do leather seats.

Sponsored

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Because keys have never been known to break off in the ignition?

This is not new technology. Two users on a forum reporting issues on their first run vehicles (350 of which are being built per day, currently) does not equal poor reliability.
I have NEVER heard of anyone breaking off a key in the ignirtion. Would have to be a weak ass key. Just don't have a weak ass key.

And two are only the ones you've HEARD about because they are posters on here. You think all JL owners know about / post on JL.com? ROFL....

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
This is very much like religion and politics. Nobody wins. We each like what we like, period.

laserdude

First Name
Haden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW

The keyless electronic FOB compromises on reliability and security, so I am not sure why people here stroke it so much?

No one has been able to logically with empirical evidence explain to me why I would desire a keyless electronic FOB over a mechanical key. They just say things like "It's cool".
The advantage for me is pretty obvious. I have keyless entry in my BMW and have never had a problem with it and it's 10 years old. The technology is very reliable and I am sure that Jeep's will work just as well. Two people having problems is not significant as most new cars in their first production year have problems. For me, not having to ever touch my key is a huge convenience. I can keep the key in my pocket for locking, unlocking, and starting my car and makes it very easy to do everything if my hands are full or I'm in a hurry. The key will still work if the battery is dead. I understand that some people like a conventional key, but I don't understand how you can say that having a keyless key is so bad. It'll start your car as reliably as a normal key, but with a lot of added convenience. Just keep the key in your pocket the whole time or wherever you put your keys when you're out of your car, if anything a conventional key should have this problem as you have to take them out to turn the ignition. I've never been in a situation where my keys are somehow in the car and I'm not and someone could push the ignition (because again, they're always in my pocket) and the car knows when they are in the car vs when I am trying to open the trunk, etc. I think that situation is a bit of a stretch.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
hey, that's not a bad ground clearance... and i kinda dig the rims.
It's a 2-door convertible with built in steps, fog lights come standard, and I believe so do leather seats.
I would like to see it flex.
Sponsored