jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unltd. in Snazzberry
Don't let this happen to you!!!!

So I've got a set of keys with 3 keys: one for my house, one for my parent's house, and one for my buddy's racing trailer. I keep them in the center arm rest. Today I pulled them out and dropped them between the driver's seat and the center console. I swear they went to that place where all the left socks go......

It took me about 40 minutes, they absolutely vanished, but I found them eventually. If you push the driver's seat all the way forward, under it is where the front carpet and rear carpet meet and one folds over the other. These keys managed to slide between the fold and make their way underneath the carpet to the frame. As far as I knew they vanished without a trace and I would find them never seeing them ever again.

In finding them, I now know where to go next time, but more importantly (and scarier) if you look between the seat and the center console there's a little gap where the center console meets the carpet. Its well big enough for something to slide under (like keys or a ring or a necklace), and unless you're ripping out the center console, I really can't see how you could possibly get it back. I'm not sure if the JK's are like that but my 2021 JL is.

Lesson learned. I have black cloth seats so I got a black t-shirt I no longer wear and stuffed both sides between the seat and the center console.

This could save you big bucks some day depending on what you drop down there.....

(My good deed public service announcement for the day)

Joe
Sponsored

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
Great tip. Thanks for the heads up. Just went out to check it out and sure enough, it would suck bigtime to have something important fall and slide into that gap.

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
Don't let this happen to you!!!!

So I've got a set of keys with 3 keys: one for my house, one for my parent's house, and one for my buddy's racing trailer. I keep them in the center arm rest. Today I pulled them out and dropped them between the driver's seat and the center console. I swear they went to that place where all the left socks go......

It took me about 40 minutes, they absolutely vanished, but I found them eventually. If you push the driver's seat all the way forward, under it is where the front carpet and rear carpet meet and one folds over the other. These keys managed to slide between the fold and make their way underneath the carpet to the frame. As far as I knew they vanished without a trace and I would find them never seeing them ever again.

In finding them, I now know where to go next time, but more importantly (and scarier) if you look between the seat and the center console there's a little gap where the center console meets the carpet. Its well big enough for something to slide under (like keys or a ring or a necklace), and unless you're ripping out the center console, I really can't see how you could possibly get it back. I'm not sure if the JK's are like that but my 2021 JL is.

Lesson learned. I have black cloth seats so I got a black t-shirt I no longer wear and stuffed both sides between the seat and the center console.

This could save you big bucks some day depending on what you drop down there.....

(My good deed public service announcement for the day)

Joe
The title to your thread cracked me up. My wife and I are always in dread of dropping something into what we call "never never land".

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Wow! Thanks for posting.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I feel the pain. Years ago I had a small scrimshawed pocket knife. Got it our at a light and dropped it. Thought “no biggie, I’ll get it when I get home”. Wrong answer. Got home, no knife. Tore the rig apart, no knife, had the TJ 8 more years, Never found the knife. Near as I can tell it entered a black hole never to be seen again...

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
A piece of foam pipe insulation does the trick, comes in gray or black, compresses to fill that gap
I just went this route. Glad you mentioned it. I wouldn't have immediately considered the black foam pipe insulation tubing. I could barely get to the gap with my fingers on the driver's side. With this it's rigid enough to push it into place from the front and then push down. I've had keys, wallet, hotel room card, pocket knife etc. slip out of pocket in cars one time or another so this thread resonated. This is what I love about this forum. Always tips and hacks to make the JL even better.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Foam pipe insulation... Brilliant! How does the pipe insulation (and the seat for that matter) hold up to seat movement? My wife is a bit shorter than me and the driver's seat get moved back and forth a lot.

Sponsored

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foam pipe insulation... Brilliant! How does the pipe insulation (and the seat for that matter) hold up to seat movement? My wife is a bit shorter than me and the driver's seat get moved back and forth a lot.
I wondered too given how far the seat comes forward every time I want access to the backseat of my 2 door. My pipe insulation is pushed down far enough that I don't think it even touches the sliding seat. The gap between the console and floor that needs covered is slightly below the seat rail or aside of if. It won't keep stuff from falling between the seat and console, just keep stuff from getting lost where you can't retrieve it. At least that is how mine is stuffed in there.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I wondered too given how far the seat comes forward every time I want access to the backseat of my 2 door. My pipe insulation is pushed down far enough that I don't think it even touches the sliding seat. The gap between the console and floor that needs covered is slightly below the seat rail or aside of if. It won't keep stuff from falling between the seat and console, just keep stuff from getting lost where you can't retrieve it. At least that is how mine is stuffed in there.
Thanks for the feedback. I have some foam pipe insulation in my garage. I'm going to try it now.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Glad to here I’m not the only one. I’ve still got a chap stick somewhere in some other dimension.

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
What diameter works best? I’ve seen people use 1/2” and 3/4” foam and I think I saw 1 1/2” but that may have been something else. I have a trip to the hardware store planned today or tomorrow. Thanks
Sponsored