Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I just bought this kit for my rig. Makes the tie rod look like pot metal.

Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
There is another well known Tuber who broke a SteerSmarts one. Everyone's stuff breaks. These Tubers love it cause it means even more clicks.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully, it turns out to be a bad tre that was exploited by the hydraulic ram not running parallel with the tie rod. You could see how the ram was pushing the rod forward before the snap.

OP
OP
Rangemaster

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I hope the warranty covers this issue, spend a lot of bucks and the pot metal tie rod end snaps in the worst place to happen.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought this kit for my rig. Makes the tie rod look like pot metal.

The bigger and heavier you get (and the more power in the steering) the stronger you need things to be. That took some serious force to pop that thing! I suspect Kevin was trying to turn passenger when the rock was forcing the passenger side wheel to turn driver. POP!

Looks like a pretty unlucky scenario, really. All those jagged rocks combined with just the right line can be the difference between a walk in the park and a broken Jeep.

With the benefit of hindsight and armchair quarterbacking, I'd say the spotter missed what was going on with the right tire, unless he didn't know Kevin was trying to turn passenger and was putting force on it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I hope the warranty covers this issue, spend a lot of bucks and the pot metal tie rod end snaps in the worst place to happen.
Lol, Kevin gets that stuff free but also because of how many subscribers he has and with his good rep in the community, they will make darned sure to take care of him. I'm certain they can't wait to get their hands on the piece that broke, too, to see if there was a defect or flaw in the metal. That said, I think the power steering he's using has a tremendous amount of power to the point it might be detrimental.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
They did in on purpose and I don’t even need to watch the stupid video! Warranty lololol. Nope I highly doubt and I bet they wouldn’t even submit a warranty claim…why you ask because they will make thousands upon thousands of dollars from people watching this ridiculous YouTube video…!!!

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I don't know why they would design the PSC mounts at the angle they did when they offer this setup. You could see the crazy amount of pressure it was applying at turn with the bowing, he's lucky it broke where it did.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lite Brite breaks RPM Steering Tie Rod 1641159288694

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I normally avoid their videos because they act like children, but watched some of this one. He chose some of the worst lines on purpose and in the end drove like an idiot...continuously.
They do this for content.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I normally avoid their videos because they act like children, but watched some of this one. He chose some of the worst lines on purpose and in the end drove like an idiot...continuously.
Yeah… clearly going out of the way to break things it seems. Ok I guess if you’re beta testing some new gear but damn. Stopped watching long ago.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Stupidly abused tierod, repeatedly being dropped on rocks and hydraulically rammed outward by the PSC. I think that tierod performed beyond expectations.

But it clearly illustrates the main point of all these "2.5 ton aluminum tierods" that "can bend and bounce back". Yes, it is all true for the central aluminum section. But the tierod ends are still steel and will permanently bend, or, in this case, snap.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.