Sponsored

List of Differential Skids (front and rear)

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
It does seem to stick out a lot. I have a Clayton lift on mine.

I really don’t see the point of that one vs the ARB cover though.

Just a word of caution, the Asfir skid may not clear your front track bar if you have anything other than OEM. I don’t know if it’ll clear the MOPAR lift, but it definitely didn’t clear my RK lift.
Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Just looked at the Asfir one. Seems like an ARB diff cover would be as good or better?
There's a thread or two here on diff skids vs diff covers; I don't consider myself an expert. In my case, I wanted to leave my original covers alone -- not wanting to have to change the fluid due to not having an easy spot to do so, possibly changing OEM diff characteristics, and not wanting to beat up on any particular diff cover directly.

Asfir wasn't my first pick for the front (options are lot more limited for non Rubis in both skids and covers), but if it takes some impacts and protects the bolt heads it'll be enough for me. I went MetalCloak on the rear and am happy with it so far.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Just a word of caution, the Asfir skid may not clear your front track bar if you have anything other than OEM. I don’t know if it’ll clear the MOPAR lift, but it definitely didn’t clear my RK lift.
Thanks for the heads up! Right now I'm sitting with a completely OEM suspension -- everything original except Rubicon take-off springs. Can report my findings once I make my move on installing.

Sponsored

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Replaced it with the Next venture Motorsports front and rear diff skids. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.
Did you replace the diff cover too?

I have the metalcloak rear and I’m satisfied. Wasn’t sure if I should replace rear diff cover or not. Going with not for now.

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did you replace the diff cover too?

I have the metalcloak rear and I’m satisfied. Wasn’t sure if I should replace rear diff cover or not. Going with not for now.
I have ballistic fabrication front and rear diff covers.

Reactions: JMP

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

It does seem to stick out a lot. I have a Clayton lift on mine.

I really don’t see the point of that one vs the ARB cover though.
Yeah, the front was definitely going to make contact and prevent down travel. I ended up giving them to a buddy with the XR package and he’s waiting to see if they will fit his. I put on the Dana Advantek covers instead.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Just installed the Asfir front diff skid today. Didn't seem to have any clearance issues, but I'm on a totally stock suspension.

I ended up just plasti-dipping black as I didn't care for the red. I considered actually painting it, but this is easier, and I think will make for a very obvious and cool looking bloody visual once I hit it for the first time haha.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
New data point.

The new model Rancho front diff skid, for 2021 and up without oil drain plug, will not fit a 2023. Looks like the casting changed again. There’s now lower webbing on the drivers rear of diff that prevents the skid’s rear moving up far enough so the skid’s front connection points can sit flush against the diff cover.

64F3989B-DA0C-49B6-ABC3-9821519C652F.jpeg

4A39CD31-020B-4A33-887B-ED5F208460BF.jpeg

88EDDB3C-C756-4BF8-940B-1E923DF4739D.jpeg

@RanchoShocks Have you heard of this being a common issue on the 23's yet? Getting ready to pull the trigger on the front and rears and want to make sure they will work.

Sponsored

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
@RanchoShocks Have you heard of this being a common issue on the 23's yet? Getting ready to pull the trigger on the front and rears and want to make sure they will work.
I called Rancho twice. “We do not have a skid spec’d for the 2023.” They couldn’t even figure out why I would have bought one. (That’s not how their advertising or literature reads to me).

Metalcloak doesn’t work either. Talked to them on the phone too. I’ve got a rough country to try but can’t try installing till my arm heals.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I called Rancho twice. “We do not have a skid spec’d for the 2023.” They couldn’t even figure out why I would have bought one. (That’s not how their advertising or literature reads to me).

Metalcloak doesn’t work either. Talked to them on the phone too. I’ve got a rough country to try but can’t try installing till my arm heals.

Well thats a giant kick in the balls for sure. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 2 diff skids and rear shock skids today but now I guess not.

Should still be able to get Rusts LCA skid I suppose.

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
I have the Artec rear LCA skids and will install them when my 4 month back ordered shocks arrive.

I have Rock Hard 4x4 front LCA skids arriving today, but just learned they won’t work with my metalcloak FAD skid. Ugh.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I have the Artec rear LCA skids and will install them when my 4 month back ordered shocks arrive.

I have Rock Hard 4x4 front LCA skids arriving today, but just learned they won’t work with my metalcloak FAD skid. Ugh.
That seems to be pretty common for the front LCA skids. I imagine this is why there are so many weld on options and very few bolt on options.

One thing to note for everyone looking at diff skids, Jeep did some funky stuff for the 2021 front housings. Some have the drain plug on the bottom and some do not. Not sure how or when it changed 100%.

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
That seems to be pretty common for the front LCA skids. I imagine this is why there are so many weld on options and very few bolt on options.

One thing to note for everyone looking at diff skids, Jeep did some funky stuff for the 2021 front housings. Some have the drain plug on the bottom and some do not. Not sure how or when it changed 100%.
2023 they removed the rear diff drain plug too. Even though it was out of the way.
Sponsored