Sponsored

List of Differential Skids (front and rear)

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Quick question for you, I am about ready to install the Metalcloak differential cover and diff skid on the front, but on their website they have a disclaimer that says " Track Bars: The MetalCloak Front Dana M210 Differential Cover does not work with the front stock track bar."
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-front-differential-cover-skid-plate-kit.html

Can anyone explain what exactly they mean by that? Do I have to replace the stock track bar as well???

When I installed the MetalCloak front diff cover and skid, I already had a Mopar lift and SteerSmarts trackbar-so I cannot tell you if the stock trackbar would have cleared or not.

I have since sold the stock axle w/MetalCloak diff cover & skid and replacing it with a Dana/Mopar UD44 w/4.88's.
Sponsored

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
I read that the stock trackbar will rub against the diff cover without a lift, but it isn't a problem for lifted jeeps.
I installed the metal cloak front differential cover/skid plate combo a couple of weeks ago, I have about 1.5 inches of space between the track bar and the differential cover on my stock 2021 Rubicon 2 Door, 3.6L Manual transmission. I have yet to take it off-road afterwards but haven't encountered any on road issues with it interfering yet.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I just installed the Next Venture rear differential skid (RDS) on my stock height JLR with eTorque. The diff skid will make contact with the eTorque battery skid with OEM height bump stops and OEM suspension.

@NextDan

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Differential Skids (front and rear) PXL_20210515_184702974

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Differential Skids (front and rear) PXL_20210515_184643897

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I just installed the Next Venture rear differential skid (RDS) on my stock height JLR with eTorque. The diff skid will make contact with the eTorque battery skid with OEM height bump stops and OEM suspension.

@NextDan

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Differential Skids (front and rear) PXL_20210515_184643897

Damm! Thats a shame as that skid is a beast once installed and a bitch to install...

Sponsored

APiratesLife4Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Clubs

@NextDan
What was the solution?

I'm THIS close to ordering front and rear diff skids myself. I don't mind doing some significant cutting to make it work, but I'd prefer that chopping to be done on the diff skid instead of the battery skid.

This is the first I've heard of this interference, so thanks for calling it out!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What was the solution?

I'm THIS close to ordering front and rear diff skids myself. I don't mind doing some significant cutting to make it work, but I'd prefer that chopping to be done on the diff skid instead of the battery skid.

This is the first I've heard of this interference, so thanks for calling it out!
Haven't quite worked it out yet. It's very minor rubbing, and likely wouldn't ever cause any issues since. I have thought about doing a little clearancing on the skid, but don't really want to deal with the hassle of removing/reinstalling. Another option I was considering was seeing if there is any play in the battery or battery skid... maybe it could be shifted enough to avoid contact.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Question: Has anyone tried the DV8 skids? I'm looking for both front and rear skids. I'm intrigued by their coverage of the axle. . . and price seem reasonable.

Siskababa

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
I have the Mopar 2" lift on my Rubicon. I installed the MetalCloak diff covers after all my steering components, which included the Steersmarts adjustable track bar. Having done several offroad trips, I can tell you the track bar does make contact with the front diff cover during significant axle articulation. It feels like you're bottoming out on the driver side bump stop. I called MetalCloak asking about using their track bar instead, and the guy on the phone knew the Steersmarts would make contact, even with a lift. He said their bar has a bigger bend/offset, and will not make contact. Once I get it installed and test it pn the trail, I'll post the results.

Last edited:

Frank-n-Kathy

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pleasureway, JLUR Rubicon
Question: Has anyone tried the DV8 skids? I'm looking for both front and rear skids. I'm intrigued by their coverage of the axle. . . and price seem reasonable.
MarkyMark,
Did you go with the DV8 skids, and if so what are your thoughts so far?

Sponsored

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MarkyMark,
Did you go with the DV8 skids, and if so what are your thoughts so far?
Hey there, I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of them yet…. Looking at the RC ones mainly due to cost…. Let me know if you go with them and what you think.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there, I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of them yet…. Looking at the RC ones mainly due to cost…. Let me know if you go with them and what you think.

I have been running them for about a year with 3-4 wheeling trips (includes some hard trails in Moab). They are great for how little they cost. 1/4 steel, decent weld, fits great, and do the job.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been running them for about a year with 3-4 wheeling trips (includes some hard trails in Moab). They are great for how little they cost. 1/4 steel, decent weld, fits great, and do the job.
Good to know! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on them. . . just been busy. I'm running NextVenture full skid system, any concerns that you can think of with contact on them?

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on them. . . just been busy. I'm running NextVenture full skid system, any concerns that you can think of with contact on them?
I can't think of any spot that would cause you issues, but I wouldn't know since I don't have the same full skid you are running. Good luck.

SARGEJLOM

First Name
Moosa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2 doors
nyone tried installing diff skid plates with Teraflex diff covers ?
Sponsored