Sponsored

List of Differential Skids (front and rear)

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
And now Im wondering if the rear sets will fit fine with or without the drain plugs.
Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I have the Artec rear LCA skids and will install them when my 4 month back ordered shocks arrive.

I have Rock Hard 4x4 front LCA skids arriving today, but just learned they wonā€™t work with my metalcloak FAD skid. Ugh.
I guess this doesn't help as much since you already have the Metalcloak, but I put on the Rock Hard FAD skid. Seemed beefy and fit well, and supposed to work with their LCA skids. I have the Rock Hard Front/Rear LCAs in a box waiting for eventual install, but keeps getting de-prioritized for other stuff. (As an aside, have you found the big thread on those? There was a recommendation to buy new hardware for them pre-install. I did that first).

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I called Rancho twice. ā€œWe do not have a skid specā€™d for the 2023.ā€ They couldnā€™t even figure out why I would have bought one. (Thatā€™s not how their advertising or literature reads to me).

Metalcloak doesnā€™t work either. Talked to them on the phone too. Iā€™ve got a rough country to try but canā€™t try installing till my arm heals.
Is that metal cloak front or rear? If you scroll back a page or two, I had an updated/complete spreadsheet for front diff skids, but that sounds like it should be updated if '23s are another round of breaks. I didn't have anything for the rear cause MetalCloak worked just fine for me. I need to pass the torch on :LOL:

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Is that metal cloak front or rear? If you scroll back a page or two, I had an updated/complete spreadsheet for front diff skids, but that sounds like it should be updated if '23s are another round of breaks. I didn't have anything for the rear cause MetalCloak worked just fine for me. I need to pass the torch on :LOL:
Sorryā€¦ metalcloak rear works great for me!

The front I havenā€™t tried. On they phone they wouldnā€™t say it fit :/

Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
New data point.

The new model Rancho front diff skid, for 2021 and up without oil drain plug, will not fit a 2023. Looks like the casting changed again. Thereā€™s now lower webbing on the drivers rear of diff that prevents the skidā€™s rear moving up far enough so the skidā€™s front connection points can sit flush against the diff cover.

64F3989B-DA0C-49B6-ABC3-9821519C652F.jpeg

4A39CD31-020B-4A33-887B-ED5F208460BF.jpeg

88EDDB3C-C756-4BF8-940B-1E923DF4739D.jpeg
Hey talking to you at Jeep Beach and tagging you here @RanchoShocks

RanchoShocks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Did you get this installed?
It should work :)

New data point.

The new model Rancho front diff skid, for 2021 and up without oil drain plug, will not fit a 2023. Looks like the casting changed again. Thereā€™s now lower webbing on the drivers rear of diff that prevents the skidā€™s rear moving up far enough so the skidā€™s front connection points can sit flush against the diff cover.

64F3989B-DA0C-49B6-ABC3-9821519C652F.jpeg

4A39CD31-020B-4A33-887B-ED5F208460BF.jpeg

88EDDB3C-C756-4BF8-940B-1E923DF4739D.jpeg

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorryā€¦ metalcloak rear works great for me!

The front I havenā€™t tried. On they phone they wouldnā€™t say it fit :/
Rear works fine for me too, no fitment issues at all.

I have their front one, but haven't had the time to try installing it yet. I hope it works - I just ASSumed it did when I ordered it, and didn't really consider that it might not. Now I'm a little worried, lol.

I'll report back here when I get around to trying to install it. I'll have to closely examine the diff cover against my OEM one before I start.

Reactions: JMP

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Held my Metalcloak front diff cover up to my OEM 2023 Rubicon 4xe front diff cover, I don't see any potential interference or issues. Looks like a perfect fit to me. The depth perception of the photo makes it look way bigger, but it's the same size, appears to be same bolt pattern. Don't see anything on or around the OEM diff cover that would get in the way. I need to drag out the skid itself and see it it looks like it interferes with the rear casting on the diff.

I'll update again in a few days/weeks when I actually go install it.

I did just notice that MC says it won't fit with the stock trackbar. Fortunately I have the MC trackbar so clearance there shouldn't be an issue, but just an FYI for those with stock trackbars.

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Differential Skids (front and rear) PXL_20230502_024703071

Last edited:

awadofmoney

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Sport 4.0 MT 2DR, 24 Rubicon 3.6 MT 2DR ordered
I really wish someone would come up with a front diff skid design similar to the metalcloak rear diff skid where it clamps to the axle tube and diff housing instead of re-using some of the cover bolts. I know its tricky but it can definitely be done by a good engineer. Everything out there is based off of a poor design which uses 4 or 6 of the diff cover bolts; any hard impact could damage the bolts or housing threads which likely arent designed to handle that kind of concentrated stress. Or something like the fabtech front diff cover but with a much larger skid surface. The fabtech is a one-piece integrated diff cover and skid plate that uses all the diff cover bolts to absorb the impact of a hit to the skid.
Sponsored