List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler

Ozzmann

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited WILLYS EcoDiesel
This is a list of oils that have the Chrysler MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval for use in the Jeep Wrangler 3.0 EcoDiesel. The 3.0 EcoDiesel uses 9 Quarts of Engine Oil

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40
Mopar 5W-40 Engine Oil - 68231021AA is for the 5 liter jug. 68231020AA is for the 1 quart bottle.
PENNZOIL ULTRA® EURO 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic 5w-40

Please post oils with this certification and they will be added to the list once verified.
[

I talked to an Amsoil Agent and I was told the Amsoil Euro FS 5w-40 meets the 12-991. Chrysler oil specs
I use it. I’ve been using Amsoil since 2006.

fun2drive

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
What is odd about this is the Rotella 5W40 is approved for the WK2 3.0 diesel like I have. I used Penn Plat Euro 5W30 for the first 80K miles then FCA (Jeep) states that the Penn is not acceptable but the Rotella is. Yet there was no documentation for back requiring those of us from 14 on to use it. I am using the low ash Rotella but I think many of us turned out to be beta testers for FCA. I am waiting until the 22 comes out before buying one. I hope FCA has things sorted out by then. The new engine seems to be a much better engine but my case is that my 3.0L was totally reliable except for the emissions. Which is why with new engine 8 spd ZF transmission and lot of electronics I went for the Max Care package which has paid for itself 150% so far. I love my WK2 diesel but at 95K miles I drive my JK most of the time. Looking forward to reading how the diesel works for members.

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
@Ozzmann

Amsoil is a great oil, and I'm sure the Agent wouldn't steer you wrong. However, Before I add it to the list, I'd like to see the MS-12991 Cert in writing somewhere. Maybe it is certified, but that hasn't hit the spec sheets or landed on the new labels yet. Just like the dealer put the Rotella T6 in mine, its probably ok, but it still doesn't state the Spec. One you see the MS-12991 added to the spec sheet or the label on the bottle, send a link or picture, and I'll add it to the list.

@fun2drive

A friend of mine is a dealership owner. I had a discussion with him about the MS-12991 spec API SN oil. Apparently FCA is very slow in updating tech sheets. When they put the Rotella T6 in mine, they pulled it off the older 3.0 tech sheet, because they didn't have an updated one. Infact, I pulled up the service manual to show both the techs, and my friend, the MS-12991 spec. After that they walked around the corner and pulled out a Mopar quart of oil that had all the correct specs on it.

I think we are less Beta testers (to an extent) and more victims of the right tech sheets not getting out in a timely manner.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
I've had 3 oil changes on mine (every 5k) so far, All were done at the dealership since they were free.
The previous two times the dealership used Rottella. Today they said they were not allowed to use rottella and used mopar oil.

20201201_214735.jpg

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I've had 3 oil changes on mine (every 5k) so far, All were done at the dealership since they were free.
The previous two times the dealership used Rottella. Today they said they were not allowed to use rottella and used mopar oil.

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 20201201_214735
So 10K on the wrong oil. Looks like you're our experimental subject.

:movember:

Fredski007

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD I 2018 Dynamax DX3 motorhome
Occupation
Retired
Just had first oil change done at dealership, they were going to put rottella in but due to you guys here I was loaded for bear, without a fuss they used Penn Utra full syn after I read the owners manual to them and showed them the list of approved oils found here!
Thanks. Also I’m kinda slow on stuff, what is wk/2 engine?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Just had first oil change done at dealership, they were going to put rottella in but due to you guys here I was loaded for bear, without a fuss they used Penn Utra full syn after I read the owners manual to them and showed them the list of approved oils found here!
Thanks. Also I’m kinda slow on stuff, what is wk/2 engine?
a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I'm about to take KINI in for her first oil change. I called the dealership service department and the person I spoke with said they use Rotella T6. Does anyone have a copy of a service bulletin or other announcement by FCA about the proper oil for our 3.0's? I certainly don't trust a dealership to have a clue about what is correct especially considering mine was the one and only 3.0 JL they had ever seen up to that point.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
It’s in the owner’s manual

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Show them this.

01ED7AC7-2A41-47FA-ADF9-6B3F5D849114.jpeg

103AB6AB-E7EC-4A2B-A50C-F80DCB0EC315.jpeg

hockeydiesel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon Diesel- 16 Audi A6 Diesel- 05 Passat & 03 Jetta Diesel
Hello all. Just bought JLU Rubicon Diesel about two weeks ago. Great vehicle. I have been reading your thread about MS-12991 oil. Has there been any discussion about API- SN being a spark ignition designation ( S equals spark ignition - C equals compression ignition ). Rotella T-6 is API - CK4. I have been driving diesel cars for over thirty years. Always use diesel engine oil ( API C? ). Including a Motorhome that uses ten gallons of oil ( Detroit Series 60 ). So does anyone know why the change in API designation by FCA for their diesel engine ? Thanks , Mike.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike, I think it has something to do with being Ashley’s whatever that means and it is less prone to clog up the emissions system.

Typed in my Jeep on Amsoil’s website this weekend and an oil popped up. Did not list the MS-12991 certification though
Sponsored