WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So here's the deal:

Gen 2 EcoDiesel spec'd a 5W30 oil. After many engine failures, they upgraded that spec to a 5W40. Engineering reasons for this are debatable but most people feel it was to give better cushioning to the main bearings since a diesel really is hard on pistons and bearings. Shell Rotella T-6 was the most widely available oil to meet spec, so it got the nod.

Today, the Gen 3 engine is 80% new or redesigned, and that includes the EGR system, turbo, bottom end, etc. So, what worked for Gen 2 does not necessarily work for Gen 3. FCA reps have stated repeatedly NOT to use Rotella T6 in the Gen 3 engine due to changes in engine pressures.

The owners manual info was slow to be updated, so the first batches of Gen 3 EcoDiesels were seeing the old specs still shown in the manuals, but this was an error! They have since updated all the manuals to only reflect the new spec, which is FCA MS-12991 oil ONLY. Some dealerships still are going off the old info, but this doesn't mean it's correct info.

Also, the Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 was recently changed. The new formulation hasn't been officially approved for MS-12991 spec yet the last I heard, which was about a month ago.

As of September 2020, there are several MS-12991 oils to pick from including Valvoline, Redline, Motul, etc. They are all much less expensive than the Mopar Max Care oil AND they are full synthetic oils which the Mopar oil is not!

You can buy MS-12991 oil for as little as $6.50/quart online. You can buy the Mopar oil filter for $44 online. So you can do your own oil change for around $100 bucks at home and know that it's done right! If you go to a dealership, make sure you're getting the right parts! NO Rotella and NO Gen 2 oil filter! A recent TSB highlights the reasons NOT to use the old filter on the new engine.

Last edited:

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I just got my first oil change as part of the Jeep wave program. I’m not sure they used the correct oil. The receipt lists part number 68001332PC. That is not listed on the sticky at the front. How can I confirm if this is the correct oil and if it isn’t prove it to the service manager?

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my first oil change as part of the Jeep wave program. I’m not sure they used the correct oil. The receipt lists part number 68001332PC. That is not listed on the sticky at the front. How can I confirm if this is the correct oil and if it isn’t prove it to the service manager?
I just did the same and know for a fact they used Rotella T-6. I was informed by the Service Manager that they have a TSB telling them that is what they are supposed to use.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
Do any of you gents have access to that TSB specifically stating to not use T-6. I remember reading it recently but cant find it now.

Sponsored

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Do any of you gents have access to that TSB specifically stating to not use T-6. I remember reading it recently but cant find it now.
Yeah it seams like they would have to use the same oil that’s listed in the diesel supplement.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I went back to the dealer today about the oil they used. The service manager gave me the run around and said the only difference between the 68001332PC they used and the 68231021AA was that AA was bulk and PC was Quart packaging. He brought me the product sheets for both and I pointed out that the AA listed MS12991 certification and the PC did not. I asked if he could show me a document from FCA showing they were identical. He got aggravated and dumped me off on the parts manager. I talked to him and after he researched it he confirmed that the 68231021AA was the correct oil for our Jeeps and the PC was for the gen 2 EcoDiesel. I told him the situation with the service manager and he went and sorted it out. They drained the old oil and replaced it with the correct. Long story short if the dealer changes your oil make sure they use the correct oil and don’t buy their BS. It was a pain and I will change my own oil once I use up my 4 free ones. Hope this helps someone else.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers strike again. First it's there wrong amount of oil. Now it's the wrong oil. FFS.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
@LowBama good eye. And good on you for pushing for proof. Hopefully that Service manager apologized and tried to offer a discount or something to make up for their mistake and wasting a day of your life.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Dealers strike again. First it's there wrong amount of oil. Now it's the wrong oil. FFS.
Which is precisely why I do my own service. The ONLY time my Jeeps/Rams go to the dealer is for warranty REPAIRS.

It saves money, and I know it's done right.

Sponsored

Gethrow

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Sport
@LowBama your post saved me! Had an oil change recently and went back to check my part number - sure enough they put Rotella T-6 in which doesn't have the MS-12991. Stopped by the dealer and did not have any issues getting them to swap the oil.

Reactions: GtX

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
@LowBama your post saved me! Had an oil change recently and went back to check my part number - sure enough they put Rotella T-6 in which doesn't have the MS-12991. Stopped by the dealer and did not have any issues getting them to swap the oil.
Glad I could help.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to clarify for the group, Mopar Oil;

68231021AA is for the 5 liter jug.
68231020AA is for the 1 quart bottle.

Most dealers (in my area) are carrying our oil by the quart.

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I stopped into the dealership where I purchased my Jeep. I asked about the oil they would use with an oil change. They said they would use whatever oil is speced for the engine. I pressed further and asked what brand they would use. The responce was Shell Rotella.

I will contact them and let them know my concerns about this oil not meeting spec.

I do know the Rotella is good stuff. I would love to see a document that advises dealerships not to use it.
Sponsored