First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
@JeepCares
are you listening?
@JeepCares is useless. I think they are just some third party contracted for social media purposes. I tried getting them to clarify something in the owner's manual (which I eventually figured out was a printing error) but they were clueless and couldn't get the question to the right people. They just told me to ask my dealer. :facepalm:
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i wish i could say my experience was much different.

@JeepCares is useless. I think they are just some third party contracted for social media purposes. I tried getting them to clarify something in the owner's manual (which I eventually figured out was a printing error) but they were clueless and couldn't get the question to the right people. They just told me to ask my dealer. :facepalm:

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
I do not. I don't believe there is anything out there for ecodiesels. And if there is something, there is some debate as to whether or not they cause more harm than good.

As I recall there is concern that there isn't enough (extra) flow designed into the oiling system. People are concerned that different components could be starved for oil.

There is a decent thread somewhere on one of these forums having to do with the 3.0L ecodiesel, where a guy did a little testing and put together his own system. Not much to them really, but the key or trick is two fold. You have to know where you can tap in, and it has to be 'safe' to do so.

I was pretty gung-ho on the bypass filtration idea until I started searching around for info. pertaining to the 3.0L. After going down that rabbit hole I eventually shelved the idea to be visited at a much later date.

If you go read about bypass oil filtration on BITOG (bob is the oil guy forum), you will find that often times there is hardly any benefit to adding it to an engine, unless you plan to really ramp up the drain intervals. You want to think that no matter what bypass oil filtration is better, but it's really not. There are some engines that just flat out don't need it. Overkill is almost always a good thing, but often when it comes to bypass oil filtration, it is just pissing money away for no reason. I would love to see a kit for these, but I would not be surprised go find that you gain next to nothing in engine longevity if one were to be utilized. It could obviously go the other way as well.

Go search around and then come back and tell me what you think. I wouldn't mind trying to nerd out and fake like I know what I'm talking about on this subject :movember:
I am thinking I am wrong for wanting to put the AMSOIL bypass on the 3.0L because it seems like no one does. In place of that, I am thinking of changing the filter at the half way point on the oil life. Thoughts on that?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I am thinking I am wrong for wanting to put the AMSOIL bypass on the 3.0L because it seems like no one does. In place of that, I am thinking of changing the filter at the half way point on the oil life. Thoughts on that?
I’d guess you’d see more benefit changing the oil at the half way point vs. the filter.

Go to 10k leave the filter for the duration, but change the oil at 5k.

Sponsored

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
I saw that people were finding the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 at Advance Auto Parts for a good price and happened to be driving by a store this morning. Sure enough, I got a 5qt jug for $14.99! But it's not all good news. That was the last one they had and it seems that Advance Auto Parts is closing out that Pennzoil oil because they don't plan to carry it anymore in the Western U.S. The guy at the store said it could be a different story in the East.

I was also looking around for a compatible oil on Amazon and found that Castrol Edge Euro 5w40 meets the MS-12991 spec and is API SP, like the Pennzoil Platinum Euro. This is a screenshot of the back of the bottle from the Amazon website:

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler Castrol-Edge-5w40 Euro

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that people were finding the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 at Advance Auto Parts for a good price and happened to be driving by a store this morning. Sure enough, I got a 5qt jug for $14.99! But it's not all good news. That was the last one they had and it seems that Advance Auto Parts is closing out that Pennzoil oil because they don't plan to carry it anymore in the Western U.S. The guy at the store said it could be a different story in the East.
I bought the last two jugs at my AAP store. They had to dig in the back for them. The sku was already replaced on the shelves. I paid around 40/each for them in Texas.

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A

I was also looking around for a compatible oil on Amazon and found that Castrol Edge Euro 5w40 meets the MS-12991 spec and is API SP, like the Pennzoil Platinum Euro. This is a screenshot of the back of the bottle from the Amazon website:

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler Castrol-Edge-5w40 Euro
Thanks for the heads up on the Castrol! I know what I’m running from now on.

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2018 JLU, 2012 JKU
So I just saw this in the questions (after ordering) on Amazon in regard to Valvoline 5w-40 MST SynPower Full Synthetic. It is listed in the first post as MS-12991/approved:

Q: Has the formula changed? fiat chrysler ms-12991 spec is no longer on the back of the label (at least on the 3 bottles i just received).
A: The formulation has not been changed on this product in some time, however, the label may have been updated. The Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil still covers the Chrysler MS-12991 specification.
By Valvoline Product Support in the United States on September 8, 2020See other answers
Q: There is two pictures of the back of the bottle. i would like to buy two boxes of the label that has the ms-12991. can you confirm which label will
A: One of the pictures listed is the older artwork. Both containers of the Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil will cover the Chrysler MS-12991 specification.
By Valvoline Product Support in the United States on June 29, 2020
Q: Would this work for my 2021 ram ecodiesel? it uses the ms-12991 designation.
A: Unfortunately Valvoline does not produce an oil that is recommended see more
By Valvoline Product Support in the United States on November 1, 2021
Q: You say it meets ms12991 standard, but without documentation, ram can deny claims. why not put it back on the bottle?
A: Unfortunately, the Valvoline - 881166 European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil does not meet the MS-12991 specification. Please give us a call at 800-832-6825 x5 for a recommendation of the appropriate oil.
By Valvoline Product Support in the United States on February 8, 2021
Q: Will this work in the 2020 jeep wrangler ecodiesel?
A: Thank you for your interest in our products! Yes, our Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil 1 QT, Case of 6 product works in FCA/Chrysler Eco Diesel applications where the 5W-40 viscosity grade and MS-12991 specification are recommended.
By Valvoline Product Support in the United States on September 23, 2020

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2018 JLU, 2012 JKU
The above may have been a useless post - I called Valvoline Product Support and was told that it does meet MS-12991....

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i'd want a copy of that in print, filed away in case of future warranty claim issues.

can you find a reference to MS-12991 compliance on the mfrs website for that oil and maybe make a print of it to keep around? i've seen some mfrs that claim compliance on their websites but don't list it on the bottle.

The above may have been a useless post - I called Valvoline Product Support and was told that it does meet MS-12991....

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
i'd want a copy of that in print, filed away in case of future warranty claim issues.

can you find a reference to MS-12991 compliance on the mfrs website for that oil and maybe make a print of it to keep around? i've seen some mfrs that claim compliance on their websites but don't list it on the bottle.
Because it's not a real requirement. The only requirement that is required is an oil rated by American Petroleum Institute (API). Don't believe me? Take a look at your owner's manual. I like many was led astray chasing down these oils due to this thread that has now peculated around the web like wildfire.

From my Gladiator Manual:

Page 342 makes zero mention of any MS certification and only speaks to what API certifications are and why it maters. It then directs you to page 397/398 for more info.

From page 398 - Note the use of "recommended" vs "must have"
"We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-12991 and API SN or SP capable. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark"

Mopar can recommend you use whatever they want, but the only thing that would actually hold up with any legal standing would be API certification. SAE/API certifications were put in place for these very reasons to protect consumers.

People are going to do whatever, but at least the correct info is available. People can choose to do with it what they will.

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler Pg342.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler Pg398.JPG

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
clearly it’s up to you where you take your chances.

let us know how your warranty claim goes when you’re using some oil other than what was “recommended”.

Because it's not a real requirement. The only requirement that is required is an oil rated by American Petroleum Institute (API). Don't believe me? Take a look at your owner's manual. I like many was led astray chasing down these oils due to this thread that has now peculated around the web like wildfire.

From my Gladiator Manual:

Page 342 makes zero mention of any MS certification and only speaks to what API certifications are and why it maters. It then directs you to page 397/398 for more info.

From page 398 - Note the use of "recommended" vs "must have"
"We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-12991 and API SN or SP capable. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark"

Mopar can recommend you use whatever they want, but the only thing that would actually hold up with any legal standing would be API certification. SAE/API certifications were put in place for these very reasons to protect consumers.

People are going to do whatever, but at least the correct info is available. People can choose to do with it what they will.

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler Pg398.JPG

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
clearly it’s up to you where you take your chances.

let us know how your warranty claim goes when you’re using some oil other than what was “recommended”.
I will because I played this game with them before when they tried to deny my lifetime powertrain warranty on my on my, 09 JKU transmission at 205K claiming a Wix trans filter wasn't good enough. Guess who won that battle? I did. Guess who also bought back a 12 year old vehicle with 233K miles on it for 1/3rd the price of new? Jeep did when they couldn't meet their own warranty commitments. I'm not scared of them and their intimidation tactics.

This line says it all:
"Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark"

I don't know why this is hard - there is nothing ambiguous about that line. Maybe reading comprehension is hard to come by nowadays IDK.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59498

Interesting, here is mine:
We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-12991. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark "⇨American Petroleum Institute (API) Approved Engine Oil".

Recommends also. I know some still use Rotella T6 and did the math I think it had like less than a gram of extra soot over 10000 miles or something. I don't remember all of it. So yeah doesn't seem MS-12991 is required but recommended.

Maybe earlier years had different wording in manual?
Sponsored