List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
That is insanity ... fca is not a super dooper exclusive company producing top notch super cars. Looking at thise great oil companies that produce oils used for Ferrari, lambos , porsches... and none of those oils have ms fucking 12 991 stink certificate... what da fuuuuuck...
Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
I wonder how much it costs a company to go through the process of getting the certificate? My guess is several oils would qualify but arnt bothering to get them tested

Reactions: DMT

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That is insanity ... fca is not a super dooper exclusive company producing top notch super cars. Looking at thise great oil companies that produce oils used for Ferrari, lambos , porsches... and none of those oils have ms fucking 12 991 stink certificate... what da fuuuuuck...
Just because an oil is good for a gas engine supercar doesn't mean it's good for a diesel.

I would never run diesel engine oil in any gas engine. I also wouldn't run gas engine oil in a diesel.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
If anyone is shopping
Amazon Pennzoil store has a case of 5W-40 priced at $ 46.72 might be even better maybe cyber Monday but thatā€™s about $ 7.79 per quart close to the Napa deal

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is shopping
Amazon Pennzoil store has a case of 5W-40 priced at $ 46.72 might be even better maybe cyber Monday but thatā€™s about $ 7.79 per quart close to the Napa deal
I paid 47.94 in July.
This isn't much of a deal.

Sponsored

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
Just because an oil is good for a gas engine supercar doesn't mean it's good for a diesel.

I would never run diesel engine oil in any gas engine. I also wouldn't run gas engine oil in a diesel.
I agree , but there are brands coving huge spectrum with quality oils like Liqui molly or Mobil.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
So the mopar part# number for proper oil is confusing. The first oil change I did on my 21 at the dealer was Rotella - After some haggling they agreed to re-do the change and use one of the approved oils (penzoil I think). next Oil change was fine, the service manager remembered and made sure all was correct. Just did my third change at dealer - whole new crew in service now. They insist that the oil they used was to spec but will not provide me anything other than the mopar part number - 68357422AA (not on this threads master list). From what I can tell this is Rotella T6. Is that approved now? I really despise having to argue with the service department but want to make sure it either is or isn't the correct part# and approved.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
So the mopar part# number for proper oil is confusing. The first oil change I did on my 21 at the dealer was Rotella - After some haggling they agreed to re-do the change and use one of the approved oils (penzoil I think). next Oil change was fine, the service manager remembered and made sure all was correct. Just did my third change at dealer - whole new crew in service now. They insist that the oil they used was to spec but will not provide me anything other than the mopar part number - 68357422AA (not on this threads master list). From what I can tell this is Rotella T6. Is that approved now? I really despise having to argue with the service department but want to make sure it either is or isn't the correct part# and approved.
I found this pdf:
https://www.dealers-mopar.com/resources/pdf/chemical/chemical-catalog.pdf

On page 19 this table:
Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler A3E62335-30F0-44A1-9BE2-83FB87A5428B

I think youā€™re good. Too bad they werenā€™t more helpful.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
So is Shell Rotella 15-40 approved now? Shows on page 21.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is Shell Rotella 15-40 approved now? Shows on page 21.
Iā€™ve not seen anything to indicate Rotella is approved. That pdf isnā€™t listing lubricants specifically for our diesel, itā€™s just the only thing I could find his part number in which is bulk Penzoil Platinum Euro that DOES meet our specs.
Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 836E7FEE-9891-4867-88CC-BBCCB700FF50

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
oddly, that 68357422AA P/N shows up as Discontinued at many sites.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed that too. Or the search summary shows it as an item for a RAM 3500 or Audi something or other. It was surprisingly hard to find a link that had anything that made sense.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bulk 68232237AB still shows and references the quart part#. Oddly some Mopar sites show it as T6 which I thought was always Rotella but not really sure. Shame on Mopar and Jeep for not having clear definitions on product when there is a very specific requirement for the gen 3 Ecodiesel. I know my engine did not like having Rotella and started throwing codes about 500 miles afterwards (all went away as soon as oil was replaced with correct oil and run for 100 or so miles) so I'm super paranoid now.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yeah, FCA really shouldnā€™t make it this difficult to do the right thing.

iā€™ve never even gotten so much as the courtesey of a response to any of my contacts to J**p asking for a listing of approved oils, and still canā€™t find the one i stumbled across once long ago.

@JeepCares
are you listening?
Sponsored