List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
I believe that the internet magnifies the bad over the good by a huge factor. They use Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro Spec at the shop for EcoDiesels.
I'm glad your dealer uses the Penzoil 5W40 Euro Spec; last week, in SLC, mine did not. Their bulk oil containers are Penzoil 5W40 Synthetic, but not Euro Spec or Platinum. I confirmed with the service manager who did reach out to me after my questions to the service writers. He said this is the oil they use on all diesel vehicles from RAM and Jeep.
Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
Anyone else have lower oil pressure using Quaker State oil?

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
You sure you can attribute what youā€™re seeing to that specific fill of oil?
No not 100% but Iā€™m suspicious which is why Iā€™m asking. My idle pressure is 17psi and lower (8/9 psi) if I restart the engine hot after like a quick trip into a store but then it goes back up to 17-20psi while idling at stops. Just put that oil in last Saturday. It was the first oil change for this Jeep and Iā€™ve never used that oil before.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
curious; exactly which Quaker State oil did you use? (it *was* an MS-12991 spec'd oil, right?)

i have seen some oils maintain their target pressure across heat ranges better than others. (why Red Line is my choice.)

No not 100% but Iā€™m suspicious which is why Iā€™m asking. My idle pressure is 17psi and lower (8/9 psi) if I restart the engine hot after like a quick trip into a store but then it goes back up to 17-20psi while idling at stops. Just put that oil in last Saturday. It was the first oil change for this Jeep and Iā€™ve never used that oil before.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
curious; exactly which Quaker State oil did you use? (it *was* an MS-12991 spec'd oil, right?)

i have seen some oils maintain their target pressure across heat ranges better than others. (why Red Line is my choice.)
Yes itā€™s their 5W-40 MS-12291 spec oil. I took a chance on it because it was cheaper and easier to find than the others on the list. But last night I decided to order some Pennzoil Plat Euro which should arrive tomorrow and Iā€™m going to change the oil out. If nothing else peace of mindā€¦

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
in that case if you're in spec, i don't know how much i'd worry about it; it sounds like you've got oil flow, and that's what matters most.
heat soak at a short stop is likely to cause your pressure to read lower a bit for a while. how does that compare to what you were seeing previously in the same situation?

Yes itā€™s their 5W-40 MS-12291 spec oil. I took a chance on it because it was cheaper and easier to find than the others on the list. But last night I decided to order some Pennzoil Plat Euro which should arrive tomorrow and Iā€™m going to change the oil out. If nothing else peace of mindā€¦

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
in that case if you're in spec, i don't know how much i'd worry about it; it sounds like you've got oil flow, and that's what matters most.
heat soak at a short stop is likely to cause your pressure to read lower a bit for a while. how does that compare to what you were seeing previously in the same situation?
To be honest I wasnā€™t paying the most attention to it prior to this but i think it was 25-30psi at idle. I got a low pressure light on startup during my lunch break a few days after doing the change and started paying very close attention to the pressure since.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
we should probably do a survey:

what is your EcoDiesels indicated Oil Pressure at a Hot Idle?
(i'll try to remember to uh, *remember* mine next time i drive it... but it seems to me that at ~208ĀŗF Oil Temps i see about 20PSI at an idle.)

just to have more to wonder about, it's hard to know for sure without starting to change stuff if what you're seeing is related to the oil, or the reporting of the pressure. i know i've been through more than a couple of Oil Pressure Gauge Sender Units on J**ps,...

To be honest I wasnā€™t paying the most attention to it prior to this but i think it was 25-30psi at idle. I got a low pressure light on startup during my lunch break a few days after doing the change and started paying very close attention to the pressure since.

Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
UPDATE I switched out the oil (and filter just to be safe) and so far everything is running normal now. No more low pressure warnings and hot idle at 20psi. IDK 100% if it was oil but Iā€™m sticking with familiar oil brands from here on out.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
thanks for following through with the update; i was just wondering about this yesterday.

curious; what oil did you switch to?
did you use the same brand/model filter?

UPDATE I switched out the oil (and filter just to be safe) and so far everything is running normal now. No more low pressure warnings and hot idle at 20psi. IDK 100% if it was oil but Iā€™m sticking with familiar oil brands from here on out.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
thanks for following through with the update; i was just wondering about this yesterday.

curious; what oil did you switch to?
did you use the same brand/model filter?
The Pennzoil Plat Euro. The oil filters were Mopar. I switched the filter really because I wanted as much of the old oil out as possible.

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
This is a list of oils that have the Chrysler MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval for use in the Jeep Wrangler 3.0 EcoDiesel. The 3.0 EcoDiesel uses 9 Quarts of Engine Oil

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40
Mopar 5W-40 Engine Oil - 68231021AA is for the 5 liter jug. 68231020AA is for the 1 quart bottle.
PENNZOIL ULTRAĀ® EURO 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Motul 8100 X-Cess Gen 2 Motor Oil 109774
MOTUL 8100X-CLEAN 5W-40
Quaker State Euro Synthetic

Mopar oil filter Part Number: 68507598AA

Please post oils with this certification and they will be added to the list once verified.
I just called to Motul and their rep said tthey are waiting for certification, but dont have it yet. Whoever did this list. Did not check the actual certificates.

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
I just called to Valvolene abd tgeir representative said theirvoil 5 W 40 is not ms12991 certified.
Sponsored