List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
Are you getting a free extended warranty?
Currently This dealership said "its not a big deal with your low mileage" while i have 50k km on it... Calling other dealerships and asking what they would do, "extend warranty, flush and clean. repalce with correct oil for free" has been the go to. with 3/4 one said they would trade my into a new jeep and eat the cost. so. itll end up being a fight with FCA i bet.
Sponsored

Rubisramansbestfriend

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0, HD Breakout 114, Unimog, GT500
I own a trucking company, we only run Heavy Haul. 2020 and newer Peterbilt 389 4 axle, double frame heavy haul speced trucks. These trucks run 610 Horsepower, 2250 torque cummins motors and all my services are run with Rotella T6. These trucks have strict emission standards thanks to the Erroneous Protection Agency. My older trucks are pushing 450k plus mileage and have had zero emission failures running T6. Most of our normal loads are 100k and above in weight. Grossing around 190k with truck and trailer. Take it for what its worth, but I thoroughly trust T6.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up to everyone. Our oil Has gotten cheap(er) again. --- $7.21 a quart

Amazon Link: Pennzoil Euro

I went into the dealer today to get my final complimentary oil change and they were not able to do it. Said there is a shortage on oil supply and haven't had our oil in stock for two weeks. I guess I'm gonna have to call around and find a place that has it ready to go. So far, this Jeep Wave thing has been pretty stupid.

Last edited:

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I've gotten my last two fuel filters from Amazon.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Still riding the free oil change train

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Just a heads up to everyone. Our oil Has gotten cheap(er) again. --- $7.21 a quart

Amazon Link: Pennzoil Euro

I went into the dealer today to get my final complimentary oil change and they were not able to do it. Said there is a shortage on oil supply and haven't had our oil in stock for two weeks. I guess I'm gonna have to call around and find a place that has it ready to go. So far, this Jeep Wave thing has been pretty stupid.
Genuine Mopar oil filter cost $44 (7.21 x 9) $64.89 total $108.89 vs total $50.00 for 3.6
but in my State comparison diesel fuel and standard 87 gasoline prices are the same. Most diesel Wranglers average 24 to 26 MPG. 3.6 gassers 18 to 21 MPG. Aren't we making up the $60 oil change difference pretty quickly. And yes I'm not going to leave it out the DEF fluid, I've been averaging 5 gallons every 7500 MIles, I run the blue def Platinum version $20 for 2.5 gals.Go two steps further, going straight to 37s without regearing and still having the better Transmission in the 3.6. $for$ in my opinion still ahead of the game. Got the Unlimited Altitude Wrangler Diesel which comes standard with Dana 44 front and rear. You don't get that on the 3.6. $for$ advantage Diesel. Loaded for the weekend or extended trip approaching 4% to 8% grade in the hwy 3.0 2200 rpm @75, in 7th gear, vs 3.6 3500 rpm @75 in 5th or 6th gear. mpg on the dash showing 11mpg Leaving aside the fun factor of the Every day diesel experience, which you only know when you get behind the wheel of one.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from the dealer. They put the wrong oil in again. This time they didnt put diesel oil in it at all, just bulk 5w40 synthetic!!!!

Yet again, I had to advocate for the correct oil while the parts manager countered saying the oil they put in it was "Still a great oil. It will be fine."

This is the last "free" oil change i will use. Not playing this silly game anymore. This makes me believe there is a high amount of Gen 3 Diesels (Ram and Jeep) with the wrong oil pumpin through it.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I just got back from the dealer. They put the wrong oil in again. This time they didnt put diesel oil in it at all, just bulk 5w40 synthetic!!!!

Yet again, I had to advocate for the correct oil while the parts manager countered saying the oil they put in it was "Still a great oil. It will be fine."

This is the last "free" oil change i will use. Not playing this silly game anymore. This makes me believe there is a high amount of Gen 3 Diesels (Ram and Jeep) with the wrong oil pumpin through it.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350

My dealership just put Rotella T6 5W-40 in mine this week. So much for following the recommendations.
That's kinda funny. I mean, I knew dealerships were going to do this, but when it's finally confirmed, I just kinda chuckle. Yours will not be the last to get the bulk diesel oil that the dealership stocks.......
Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler PlainBackEquestrian-size_restricted

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I just got my 1st free “wave” oil change. I’m wintering in SW Florida, so went to Naples Jeep for it. They had the correct oil, and apparently plenty of it.
I went ahead and got an extra quart, just to have in case I need it.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
As of September 2020, there are several MS-12991 oils to pick from including Valvoline, Redline, Motul, etc. They are all much less expensive than the Mopar Max Care oil AND they are full synthetic oils which the Mopar oil is not!
Mopar 5W40 meeting MS-12991 standard is not fully synthetic even though the oil requirement according to the JL Diesel manual specifies (or recommends) synthetic oil for Ecodiesel?

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 1643348537027

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Mopar 5W40 meeting MS-12991 standard is not fully synthetic even though the oil requirement according to the JL Diesel manual specifies (or recommends) synthetic oil for Ecodiesel?

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 1643348537027
I wrote that 18 months ago when there was still massive confusion about the oil spec, there were semi-synthetic blend oils being used by dealers, and nobody really knew what the hell was going on. Heck, 90% of dealers were using Rotella T6 at that time on Gen 3 engines.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
I wonder if this is safe to use? Pennzoil Euro except 0W-40 instead of 5W-40. Increased flow at cold temperatures and same viscosity at operating temps? Even states on the jug "same protection as 5W-40" and seems to be more readily available:
Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 1643397727923
Sponsored