OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I don't see a 5-127 or 5-5 even listed as an option for that Fuel wheel
They have some 17s & 18s in the 5-127 but they are dual bolt pattern wheels, they use that center cap to cover the unused holes.

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
They have some 17s & 18s in the 5-127 but they are dual bolt pattern wheels, they use that center cap to cover the unused holes.
does that mean they can be used but just aren’t as sturdy? I’m sorry, brand new to all this stuff lol

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
does that mean they can be used but just aren’t as sturdy? I’m sorry, brand new to all this stuff lol
Never used them, I assume they'd be engineered to hold up well, just makes them easier to sell for more vehicle applications. I prefer exposed lug nut type wheels though, but I'm ancient lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly tells me a wheel is hubcentric? Is it the bolt pattern or is there another measure of fitment that comes into play?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What exactly tells me a wheel is hubcentric? Is it the bolt pattern or is there another measure of fitment that comes into play?
The Jeep hubs are 71.5mm, it's a raised flange that your Jeep wheel fits over. If your wheel has a 71.5mm hub bore then it's hubcentric.

Many aftermarket wheels have oversized bores so they can be used on many more vehicle applications.

Hub bore size is usually listed in the manufacturers wheel specs for a given wheel. If not, you should be able to find that out by contacting the vendor or wheel company.

Sponsored

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
The Jeep hubs are 71.5mm, it's a raised flange that your Jeep wheel fits over. If your wheel has a 71.5mm hub bore then it's hubcentric.

Many aftermarket wheels have oversized bores so they can be used on many more vehicle applications.

Hub bore size is usually listed in the manufacturers wheel specs for a given wheel. If not, you should be able to find that out by contacting the vendor or wheel company.
Two questions, if I may:

1. So is it true then that you CANNOT use a wheel with a hub bore smaller than 71.5mm?

2. Which smoked LED tails are you using?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Two questions, if I may:

1. So is it true then that you CANNOT use a wheel with a hub bore smaller than 71.5mm?
Yes, that's true. It would be like trying to stick a 1/2" socket drive into a socket hole for a 3/8" drive socket - the drive hole is too small for the drive.

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Yes, that's true. It would be like trying to stick a 1/2" socket drive into a socket hole for a 3/8" drive socket - the drive hole is too small for the drive.
Thanks this is helpful. On the flip-side, I assume you can use a hub bore greater than 71.5mm; correct? Is there anything worth knowing about this situation? Is it less stable, are there ways to basically "close the gap," etc.?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Thanks this is helpful. On the flip-side, I assume you can use a hub bore greater than 71.5mm; correct? Is there anything worth knowing about this situation? Is it less stable, are there ways to basically "close the gap," etc.?
Yes this can be done and is the much more common situation when using after-market wheels (vs OEM). I would recommend getting a spacer for this situation. Personally I would only use hub-centric wheels but there's lots and lots of people that have gone the lug-centric route and are happy. Here's a very high-level overview from reseller Quadratec:
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/difference-between-hub-centric-and-lug-centric-wheels

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Yes this can be done and is the much more common situation when using after-market wheels (vs OEM). I would recommend getting a spacer for this situation. Personally I would only use hub-centric wheels but there's lots and lots of people that have gone the lug-centric route and are happy. Here's a very high-level overview from reseller Quadratec:
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/difference-between-hub-centric-and-lug-centric-wheels
Awesome. Thanks!
Sponsored