OP
OP
TxJeep69

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
What do y’all think about the SL rated tires on a JL? I’m leaning Nitto RG and it comes in C and SL. SL is lighter and cheaper. Thanks
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What do y’all think about the SL rated tires on a JL? I’m leaning Nitto RG and it comes in C and SL. SL is lighter and cheaper. Thanks
Check the sidewall specs, I think that's where a lot of the weight is reduced on the SL versions of truck tires. I don't think I'd run them if your plans are a fair amount of off road time, but if it's just light use off road and mainly street duty they should work out ok.

OP
OP
TxJeep69

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SL has the same sidewall rating as the C on the Ridge Grappler. Most of what I found on the SL suggests it’s a good tire, but maybe a bit less tread to start with. I just pulled the trigger on the SL RG so we’ll see how it goes. They were a good bit cheaper, much lighter, and should ride better. I don’t do any hard core off roading these days so the sidewalls should be fine. Thanks for all of the input everyone. Hope this thread helps someone in the future.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
SL has the same sidewall rating as the C on the Ridge Grappler. Most of what I found on the SL suggests it’s a good tire, but maybe a bit less tread to start with. I just pulled the trigger on the SL RG so we’ll see how it goes. They were a good bit cheaper, much lighter, and should ride better. I don’t do any hard core off roading these days so the sidewalls should be fine. Thanks for all of the input everyone. Hope this thread helps someone in the future.
Look forward to your feedback once you get some time with them, there were a couple other tires I've seen in SL rated so I'm curious how well they hold up.

scmtnboy

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Altitude
How did this turn out? I was debating the same and was trying to special order terra grapplers SL rated 295/70r18 but they were a little hard to locate and ended up ordering the E rated version. My Jeep for my wife is set to drop at dealer any day. I’m kind of worried as it seems the consensus on this forum is you definitely don’t want E rated tires. This Jeep will be strictly for street use. I liked my stock 18 inch wheels so that is why I was going with that size but I would be willing to get new wheels say in a 17 for more options like possibly in a 315/70r17.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
295/70/18s in E rated are very heavy. They will ride rough. I had them in the Toyo on my F150 and finally had to give up on them. The load rating is so high on them that they might as well be load range F. Over 4k lbs rated per tire.

OP
OP
TxJeep69

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SLs definitely offer a softer ride than the C rated BFGs they replaced. If I was the only one riding in this thing, I would probably go with the C rated, because I think it handles a little better in the corners, but the SL is fine too. That said, I could possibly bump the tire pressure up a couple of pounds and see how they do. I am at 35 right now. I like the look of the Nittos better than the BFGs also. The Nittos also seem better in the rain than the BFGs, which really surprises me. They grip like glue. Maybe because they are new but so far so good.
Sponsored