List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
I have 16K miles so far with no problems or oil leaks. Currently it has 37s w/OE gears and a winch on the front OE bumper. It has more than enough power to pass on mountain passes. In the summer I pulled a ~3500 Lbs. trailer 1200 miles at legal speeds over several western mountain passes and none of the monitored temperatures (coolant, oil, transmission) rose above the halfway mark. I’m not sure why some people are reporting cooling issues. I do keep my radiator and engine filter very clean.

I use a basic diesel lubricant (e.g. Hot Shot’s Secret) every fuel up, change my fuel filter every oil change, and try not to let my fuel get below ¼ tank (to avoid cavitation) as my biggest reliability worry is the CP4 HPP ( https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/what-is-cp4-failure/ ). I believe we have the CP4.2 version. Electrical problems are my 2d concern as the fancy computer sensors seem to be vulnerable. I’m hoping this engine in the long run will turn out to be like the Ford 6.0 which had a terrible early reputation, but eventually turned out to be a great engine with some minor upgrades. I have plenty of power for my needs and descent economy, so no power mods are in the plans. The limitation of trailer weight is more likely a result of the vehicle design (i.e. wheelbase, etc.) and not the power available.
Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
What happens if it's time for a regen, but you've just started a multi-day excursion on something like the Rubicon Trail?
I had an instance where I was wheeling and it went into regeneration. I just kept the engine running and went on with my run. It eventually finished the cycle.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I’ve got 65k miles on my 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel. I ordered it the days the banks opened for the first year of EcoDiesels. I’m m very happy I got it. My only issue with the EcoDiesel was a throttle malfunction… it’s happened twice where I was driving and it lost all power. After pulling over and restarting it went away both times. Other than that it’s typical Jeep issues like a failing cabin air temp sensor, failing forward facing camera for the safety system. With the big tires the steering is probably at the max it can handle and can get a little wobbly lol! I really love my EcoDiesel and I’m hoping to have it for 10 years or more. I’m figuring that will put me at 250k - 300k miles based on my driving. There was that one time I smashed the fuel filter housing on the Rubicon trail… It came down on a rock and pushed the housing up into the floorboard, which broke the plastic line coming from the lift pump. (That area needs better skids)

For Mods, it on a 4 inch lift with 39 inch KM3s and stock 3.73 gears. It stays in 7th gear till the transmission warms up to about 165, then it’s in 8th all day, with exception of overpasses. I’m in Houston, so it’s flat here. I use the IDash with Pedal Monster and Derringer, and I get 20MPG all the time. I typically drive at 65 - 70mph. It’s got a lot more mods like skids and 7075 Aluminum links and steering
Components.
I change the oil when it says 0% on the dash lol! I keep records of my oil changes and send them in for analysis every time and so far all normal wear and tear levels. (I also ended up buying from a dealership who does a lifetime warranty, so if it does blow up, I can prove everything)
It’s been in Moab, Rubicon trail, through some Arizona trails, San Juan Mountains and Holy Cross Trail in Colorado. With all that I drive it everyday.

With all that. I love the Diesel, and I trust it.

4CEBFEDB-5F14-49D1-9E21-E25CE219AA8B.jpeg

5B7057E7-C5A4-4BAA-A93E-8E36F7F64134.jpeg

0563BBA8-2628-4C5D-BBD2-84A01E19FA58.jpeg

8E69C6D9-615B-4D97-A4EF-03801220EDDE.jpeg

A9ACBE6D-9B8F-44BF-8C47-3601112E824E.jpeg

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
What happens if it's time for a regen, but you've just started a multi-day excursion on something like the Rubicon Trail?
Mine regened on the Rubicon trail as I was going up Cadillac hill. The exhaust was all dusty from the trail, so as it got hot I could smell it. Other than that it was like normal driving.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I’ve got 65k miles on my 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel. I ordered it the days the banks opened for the first year of EcoDiesels. I’m m very happy I got it. My only issue with the EcoDiesel was a throttle malfunction… it’s happened twice where I was driving and it lost all power. After pulling over and restarting it went away both times. Other than that it’s typical Jeep issues like a failing cabin air temp sensor, failing forward facing camera for the safety system. With the big tires the steering is probably at the max it can handle and can get a little wobbly lol! I really love my EcoDiesel and I’m hoping to have it for 10 years or more. I’m figuring that will put me at 250k - 300k miles based on my driving. There was that one time I smashed the fuel filter housing on the Rubicon trail… It came down on a rock and pushed the housing up into the floorboard, which broke the plastic line coming from the lift pump. (That area needs better skids)

For Mods, it on a 4 inch lift with 39 inch KM3s and stock 3.73 gears. It stays in 7th gear till the transmission warms up to about 165, then it’s in 8th all day, with exception of overpasses. I’m in Houston, so it’s flat here. I use the IDash with Pedal Monster and Derringer, and I get 20MPG all the time. I typically drive at 65 - 70mph. It’s got a lot more mods like skids and 7075 Aluminum links and steering
Components.
I change the oil when it says 0% on the dash lol! I keep records of my oil changes and send them in for analysis every time and so far all normal wear and tear levels. (I also ended up buying from a dealership who does a lifetime warranty, so if it does blow up, I can prove everything)
It’s been in Moab, Rubicon trail, through some Arizona trails, San Juan Mountains and Holy Cross Trail in Colorado. With all that I drive it everyday.

With all that. I love the Diesel, and I trust it.

Jeep Wrangler JL List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel A9ACBE6D-9B8F-44BF-8C47-3601112E824E

Jeep Wrangler JL List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel A9ACBE6D-9B8F-44BF-8C47-3601112E824E

Nice pictures! had to say

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I'll echo people above. I've done a regen on the trails more than once.

Tpsillos

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD
Occupation
Welding Inspector
Clubs

58k miles no issues besides the low oil pressure after incorrectly torquing the oil filter (my fault). I will say lately I've noticed 3rd gear slips a little until the trans warms up but she has been holding up just fine.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Biggest issue is all of the internet experts who predict doom and gloom over what really amounts to a standard level of issues. There are several anecdotes out there of some bad failures but that doesn't mean it happens to more than a handful of people.

Bottom line is that no mass produced vehicle is going to be perfect every time. The diesel is no exception. A few of them have issues. Most do not.
I believe if to many diesels are sold, we will be sucked into a singularity to another universe where tesla rules.

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
33K miles with no issues

The DEF to transmission bracket weld broke... They didn't have a replacement bracket in stock so they welded it at the dealership.. and they told me if it broke again that they will for sure replace it.. Its been perfect since..

No other issues really

Sponsored

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
The DEF to transmission bracket weld broke...
Can you clarify this? The DEF is maintained behind the rear axle (next to muffler) and the transmission is forward of the transfer case.

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Can you clarify this? The DEF is maintained behind the rear axle (next to muffler) and the transmission is forward of the transfer case.
Sorry i dont know what those components are called.. There are too many of them! Here are some videos and picture of what broke and what was fixed.. I probably meant the DPF

Jeep Wrangler JL List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel IMG_3798

The last picture is how they fixed it. It's been good since that fix.
Also to my understanding, this would happen to every diesel owner out there, depending on how hard they use their Jeep offroad..

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Sorry i dont know what those components are called.. There are too many of them! Here are some videos and picture of what broke and what was fixed.. I probably meant the DPF

Jeep Wrangler JL List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel IMG_3798

The last picture is how they fixed it. It's been good since that fix.
Also to my understanding, this would happen to every diesel owner out there, depending on how hard they use their Jeep offroad..
Looks like a good bead, and probably will hold a long while. At least it was a minor issue.

Sponsored