Sponsored

List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
This has been my past experience with anything Peugeot. Notice all the pro 3.0 skipped over this statement. The truth hurts.
And I believe it was stated in the very beginning of this thread that all Wrangler engines have small to catastrophic failure, but the percentage is small when you factor the number of sales. It was also said that non-diesel owners would be around shortly to point out any and all shortcomings of the diesel......And Here You Are!

Why does everything miserable in this world seem to come from California?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Users of the iDash have said that it doesnā€™t say active when itā€™s actually in an active regen. The users of the ScanGauge have said theirs shows it correctly.

An active regen happens anywhere from every 400 miles to 800 miles depending on your driving habits.

https://www.fleetmaintenance.com/in...cle/12182599/dpf-regeneration-modes-explained
I sold my Scangauge to make room for the full Derringer/PedalMonster/iDash combination. iDash's biggest advantage in displaying regen status is the highly visible flashing alarm. The Scangauge changes the regen status to "ON", but it's tough to notice without specifically looking for it.

I actually think that the Derringer bump is fairly noticeable. It shaved a full second off my 0-60. [Yes...I know that Wranglers aren't designed for acceleration, but the measure provides a quantified comparison].

Grumps

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Reign JLURD

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I sold my Scangauge to make room for the full Derringer/PedalMonster/iDash combination. iDash's biggest advantage in displaying regen status is the highly visible flashing alarm. The Scangauge changes the regen status to "ON", but it's tough to notice without specifically looking for it.

I actually think that the Derringer bump is fairly noticeable. It shaved a full second off my 0-60. [Yes...I know that Wranglers aren't designed for acceleration, but the measure provides a quantified comparison].
With the Scangauge you have the option to set up 4 different things youā€™d want to monitor, so as you mentioned you are right you have the regen on / off in one spot but youā€™ll be able to see you soot level which is when your regen will be triggered when it reaches 80% so youā€™ll know itā€™s coming.
For instance if youā€™re at like letā€™s say 70 to 75 % soot and driving on highway youā€™ll see that number declining as your engine is working at high heat and able to burn away soot vs youā€™re doing city driving with stop and go youā€™ll see that soot # increase from the 70 or 75 % range going slightly up a % as you drive, so youā€™ll know that an active regen could be coming up soon

3648C6AE-7393-47F1-B9C2-560C3A282742.jpeg

Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Are you referring to the 4xe?
No literally a scooter šŸ›“
But the 4xe could be a better option for OP unless he really wants the 3.0 diesel

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
You should walk or ride a bike!
A good ruck will carry most, 2 mile ruck soldier!!

I am sure my bump stop issue is mostly due to the Stealth 12 winch and Arcus bumper combo.
At that point you should consider an electric scooter šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Iā€™m just joking šŸ™ƒ
I've thought about all of those options, but it might look a little funny riding a bike, a scooter, or walking, with a shotgun slung over my shoulder. I could pull it off.

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
ā€˜22 JLURD bought in June. Just hit 7500 trouble free miles. Wife drives it 5 days a week to work which is only 2.5 miles each way. Every weekend we take a long drive. I love my JKR but man this diesel is awesome.

GR8ESC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just over 10k miles in 11 months. No issues to date. Running a 2.5 lift with 37ā€™s. This picture is after coming down from Cedar Tree, a BOH trail outside of Tillamook, OR.

Jeep Wrangler JL List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel E5F88639-397E-42D5-BD1E-5A46F7B13BF6

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For some reason diesel is now 50 cents cheaper than regular in my area. That knocks out one of the issues I have with it šŸ˜.
What, is Diesel only $9.00 a gallon in California, instead of $9.50 a gallon regular?? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜›

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How bad are the Oil Leaks?? Are they few and far between?? If they are numerous, is there a fix?? If there are easy fixes, then it would be a tiny issue.
I know some diesel trucks are prone to this, but I have been spoiled by my Cummins. Not a drop leaked in 16 years.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
How bad are the Oil Leaks?? Are they few and far between?? If they are numerous, is there a fix?? If there are easy fixes, then it would be a tiny issue.
I know some diesel trucks are prone to this, but I have been spoiled by my Cummins. Not a drop leaked in 16 years.
They don't leak from the factory. It's usually the dealership oil change monkey who breaks something. The filter is supposed to be torqued to 18.5 ft-lbs (25Nm). That's barely past snug. If you crank on it the plastic breaks and you get leaks.

I do all my oil changes and use a torque wrench.

It also helps to drain the oil and break the seal on the filter but let it drain before removing it. I open my Fumoto valve and unscrew the filter and leave it in place. Then I grease my aftermarket steering components, then rotate the tires. By then the oil is fully drained so I pull the filter and it doesn't drip everywhere. Put in a new filter, close up the Fumoto valve, fill with 9 quarts of the correct MS-12991 spec oil (another thing the dealership monkey gets wrong too often) and go.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
I did have my fuel pump go out at 4200 miles. But no issues before and no issues since. Just returned from a 1200 mile round trip up the CA coast to the redwoods. Ran great and got 25mpg loaded up running 35s. Even if my fuel pump goes again at 8400miles Iā€™m not getting rid of it. Just too fun to drive.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
They don't leak from the factory. It's usually the dealership oil change monkey who breaks something. The filter is supposed to be torqued to 18.5 ft-lbs (25Nm). That's barely past snug. If you crank on it the plastic breaks and you get leaks.

I do all my oil changes and use a torque wrench.

It also helps to drain the oil and break the seal on the filter but let it drain before removing it. I open my Fumoto valve and unscrew the filter and leave it in place. Then I grease my aftermarket steering components, then rotate the tires. By then the oil is fully drained so I pull the filter and it doesn't drip everywhere. Put in a new filter, close up the Fumoto valve, fill with 9 quarts of the correct MS-12991 spec oil (another thing the dealership monkey gets wrong too often) and go.
Great plan to knock out related maintenance as the oil drains....
Sponsored