Sponsored

List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I am seriously thinking of getting a 3.0 diesel, since my daughter might be taking over my 2018 JL Sport S 3.6.
Before I pull the pin, I want to know all issues, from minor, to major, that the 3.0 Eco-Diesel has, and what if any solutions for these issues are out there.
BTW, I've owned a couple of diesel pickups since 2000.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Well that question is certainly a rabbit hole, because what you would really need is a quantitative approach. Every engine currently available for the wrangler has had small to catastrophic failures. The real question though is what percentage out of the millions sold.
Personally I think the engine strengths far outweigh any cons, and although it has been redesigned for the wrangler, it is in its 3rd generation, and been around for a while.

Your biggest problems will most certainly come from anything electrical within the jeep. It truly is terrible, for most owners. Of course that is anecdotal, so take that for what its worth.
I'm sure the usual non-diesel owners will be around shortly to tell you all of its faults so standby.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I am seriously thinking of getting a 3.0 diesel, since my daughter might be taking over my 2018 JL Sport S 3.6.
Before I pull the pin, I want to know all issues, from minor, to major, that the 3.0 Eco-Diesel has, and what if any solutions for these issues are out there.
Like ever? I feel like you should reel that question in a bit. Lol

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Biggest issue is all of the internet experts who predict doom and gloom over what really amounts to a standard level of issues. There are several anecdotes out there of some bad failures but that doesn't mean it happens to more than a handful of people.

Bottom line is that no mass produced vehicle is going to be perfect every time. The diesel is no exception. A few of them have issues. Most do not.

Deleted member 59498

No issues here. Only one that I have seen recurring for a few people is the fuel pump.

Besides that everything is pretty much same things you will find on all engine options from time to time. Oil leaks, Jeeps fantastically designed electrical systems( 🙄) etc.

Sponsored

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
It doesn't sound or smell like a 'normal' diesel...damnit...I love the smell of diesel in the morning! Torque and acceleration up the wazoo for only a 3.0 liter...I do find myself being heavy footed just for fun.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I’ve read through probably every thread diesel related while waiting for mine. Seems like the main issues could be mitigated or mostly avoided with regular use of fuel additives for lubrication of the CP4 pump, proper maintenance of the fuel/water separator, using the freshest DEF, stuff like that. Oh and not cramming a bunch of crap in front of the grille, since the cooling system is on the ragged edge of adequacy for the motor due to the constraints of the wrangler engine bay.

Just what I’ve read and been told personally by shops who own and work on the diesels. Take it as you will.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Only 17,000 miles on mine but no problems yet (hope I don't jinx myself). Really like the 2.0T but LOVE the diesel. I almost chickened out on the order because there were delays and I kept reading the horror stories but so glad I didn't.

Sponsored

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

We have over 27k on ours lifted on 37's and have been to AK and back, several Moab trips, Tahoe and part of the Rubicon, and lots of exploring around Colorado. The only issue so far is the jeep has eaten several fender liners. The last one jeep put in is thicker and more rigid so hopefully it will last. Other than that we love our diesel! Most recent trip yesterday peeping fall colors.

Jeep Wrangler JL List All Engine/Tranny Issues with the 3.0 Diesel PXL_20221002_203018731

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
27k on hers and 21k on mine. No issues. Her engine is stock and I have the GDE tune. Very bummed that they are discontinuing this engine.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

27k on hers and 21k on mine. No issues. Her engine is stock and I have the GDE tune. Very bummed that they are discontinuing this engine.
How do you like the GDE tune? Would you buy it again? Any complaints, issues, or little things you'd change with it?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an 09 before that and accorind to the interweb, the 3.8 should have dies at least twice. I sold it at 225k and it ran better at 225 than it ran when I got it at 53k.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you like the GDE tune? Would you buy it again? Any complaints, issues, or little things you'd change with it?
I love it. Almost 20k on it now. The 8hp75 still will not hold a gear on CC in the hills and I have to lease it in M7 or M8. Outside of that, I am very happy. 23-24 mpg with the Mopar lift and 37" KO2's. That is my review on their website.
Sponsored