chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone driven Lippincott Road in Death Valley lately and could offer a road report? My wife and I are going to be there in a week or so and are thinking about driving this route. However...we will be alone, in a rather heavily loaded JLUR with a RTT. We have lots of underside protection and traction mats along with basic recovery gear and an InReach, but no winch. Is this a stupid idea?
Sponsored

OP
OP
chacomaya

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't do Facebook but you might be able to get current info here
https://www.facebook.com/pg/DeathValleyRoadConditions/posts/
or thur the Park Service by calling them directly. (760) 786-3200
I would not go alone, tempertures are still too hot for me.
Thanks. Yeah, we've been to that site, posted questions, and got a somewhat generic response. I am a firm believer of not traveling on roads like this alone when advised not to, but I have also found that national parks tend to be overly cautious with their recommendations along these lines.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Nov '20 Four Wheeler

They take a fs Ram with mega overlanding camper thru. I'd look for the mag or the content online

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
I haven't been over Lippincott, but as an alternative or loop Hunter MT is a very nice and scenic route. If you do go, please post back up, I am interested in the road condition too, I would like to do it next time I'm in DV.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chacomaya

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't been over Lippincott, but as an alternative or loop Hunter MT is a very nice and scenic route. If you do go, please post back up, I am interested in the road condition too, I would like to do it next time I'm in DV.
We ended up doing the Hunter Mt. Loop, which was pretty cool. Lost Burro Mine was a good place to visit, and a short hike led to a spot that overlooks Racetrack.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I went and took Lippincott route back in March. Obviously conditions have probably changed by then. There was a rock on the road that fell down the hill side and the Jeep was too wide to go around it and had to climb it. Nothing big, just had to make sure the wheels were going over it not to get it lodged. Barely made contact coming down on the ass end. My buddy's narrower Xterra just went around.. and come to find out he had me go first to be a guinea pig.. lol. If you don't problems with shelf roads mentally I think you would be fine. There are a few points though where you can see that future erosion would become a problem. I thought the worst part of it is the rock beds after the pass heading to Saline Valley Road. Although it still wasn't no where near as punishing as Schnebly Hill road at the base.
Sponsored