Linex Body Armor

1. NMPirate

NMPirate Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Trying to find the right JL
    Liked:
    Has anyone had the entire exterior sprayed with Linex Body Armor? A buddy of mine did his F-250 4 door and it looks pretty good, but I have not seen it on Jeeps very much except for the interior floors. I thought the weight of it would be a lot but the company claims that the F-250 gained about 140 pounds from the exterior spray. I think it would be good protection from trail rash along the doors, etc.. What do you think?

2. Thinman

Thinman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
    Liked:
    interesting, but what are you protecting after it is sprayed with linex?

Karl_in_Chicago likes this.
  3. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    beat up old VW Passat
    Liked:
    Punctures. Severe abrasions. Denting. Corrosion.

Sometimes the skin of the vehicle is there to protect you, not the other way around. How glossy and flawless the paint finish is isn't the end all be all of protection for a vehicle that actually goes off road.

4. IceBerg

IceBerg Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    I've seen it personally on some JKs and I think it looks best with dark colors. You should be able to get it in any color you want.

5. Sean K.

Sean K. Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, Tube Frame Liberty Buggy, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
    Liked:
    The problem is long term. Once it gets dirt into it, it gets very difficult to wash out...even with a pressure washer.

6. roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
    Liked:
    Retired Engineer
    #6 Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Aside from my dislike for the appearance, other downsides from my perspective are: expense, weight, repairability. The longterm life of Linex and other similar coatings is also a concern. Every Linex coated thing I've seen that was a couple years old or more had an oxidized flat finish. With black Linex, it looks like charcoal and rubs off on your clothes...ask me how I know.

If economics of protecting the vehicle are the rationale, doing nothing and letting it get scratched up from brush seems to come out ahead and be more marketable when it comes time to sell the vehicle. I think it's a big economic mistake to Linex a vehicle.

7. sporlan

sporlan Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler Rubicon
    Liked:
    Kevlar spray no problem, brush, power wash and go. I love it.20200107_162308.jpg

8. sporlan

sporlan Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler Rubicon
    Liked:
    I have had a lot of different vehicles. I keep a black one in Florida. I just think it looks good and something different. I have had several of my F350's beds done. It holds up well and takes a lot of abuse. If it gets damaged I will have them send me some touch up mixture or pay to have it done.

20190823_194522.jpg

9. 68Hawk

68Hawk Member

First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle(s):
    E350 4Matic & 430i Xdrive
    Liked:
    I did my FJ, roof, hood, side mirrors and bumper caps with Linex in black.
    3 years, lasted well and looked perfect at the end. Super happy. I did garage the vehicle which likely helped here in Kansas, especially with the crappy and heavily salted roads.
    Maybe I was lucky, but it was a great way to black out the vehicle.

1st%20day%20going%20black_zpsdrz7knfd.jpg

New%20shoes%20and%20socks%204%20FJ_zpszlxxwhq4.jpg

10. weeitsmikelee

weeitsmikelee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    '18 Wrangler JLU; '15 Golf R; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    LineX also has a newer product now that is slightly less grainy and offers more colors/ finishes. https://linex.com/ultra

11. madscientist

madscientist Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Wrangler JL Sport S 3.6L AT, 2014 Range Rover Sport
    Liked:
    My brother had this on one of his Wranglers. He worked in auto-body so he stripped the whole interior out and practically dipped the entire body inside and out. There were some technical problems with body panel gaps, hinges, and general fitment but with patience and a grinder he put everything back together.

On the positive side, the truck was thoroughly armored. I believe you could have thrown a brick at it and caused no damage.
    On the negative side, the truck weight would qualify as morbidly obese. This in turn affected handling, acceleration, braking, and ground clearance.

12. RELBUS

RELBUS Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    97 TJ , 18 JLUR..Its a Jeep forum. I don't care about your other rides, and I won't list all of mine!
    Liked:
    I line x’ed my grill, and bumpers on my ram 2500.
    after 125k and 7 years it still looks fantastic . The best part is the durability. Every other black color matched truck I see has a million Little Rock chips in the grille and front bumper. Not mine.
    That being said I did line X ultra which was a bit of a more coarse texture. If the body armor product would have been available at the time I’d have preferred that.