Sponsored

Line of oil on top of engine

FloridaSon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Altitude order 2/4/22 Gupton 3/31 home 4/16.
Seems like it already ‘failed’ to contain its manufacturer approved lubrication inside the bearing/case.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Despite this being a cheaply designed part, I probably overtorqued the cap during an oil change at some point and tweaked something. I'm in the process of putting everything back together and crossing my fingers the leak is gone. Other than the oil in the valley, I don't see anything wrong with the engine and minus this issue, she's been solid since day one. Luckily, I didn't have any symptoms such as a CEL, misfires, or low oil pressure beforehand.
My filter cap came with a paint mark from the factory that lined up on the engine...I have always just tightened the cap to that mark. I have a torque wrench, but this method has been working.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
My filter cap came with a paint mark from the factory that lined up on the engine...I have always just tightened the cap to that mark. I have a torque wrench, but this method has been working.
I had the same line, but simply torqued it to spec. I assumed I probably did something wrong since I don't let anyone else touch my Jeep, but apparently these things are notoriously shitty, so who knows.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I had the same line, but simply torqued it to spec. I assumed I probably did something wrong since I don't let anyone else touch my Jeep, but apparently these things are notoriously shitty, so who knows.
That line is not from the oil filter housing.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm talking about the line mark they put on the cap.
Makes perfect sense then.
Though the torque on the cap is something worth noting, people go way too tight on these things. It’s an o-ring seal. Torque does not seat it any better.

Ali7jojo

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl Rubicon
Any update on this mysterious issue, i had my oil change myself last time and i believe that i went gently with my rubicon 2019, i went to Mopar service in my city and he said that i have to replace the whole alternator just because of this faulty Fkn pulley or i have to seek for disassembled pulley in side service shops if i got lucky…any how a smart pants wrangler-beasts mechanic looked at it and he said i got you ; come tomorrow and i will fix it (100$) but i dont have time for that am leaving to my work (oilfield) too far from home then i will update this sht next month m, i hope to find good result on this forum before i pull the trigger and get my Rubi messed
☮ 🧡OIIIIIIIO From iraq.

4A3CBE6F-FAAF-4261-B991-2DD186539594.jpeg

C5047D30-2989-45F8-8423-072C758A9912.jpeg

4617B8E9-8FFE-4735-AAA5-29B0D14C26E7.jpeg

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Is this Alternator repair covered by the 5 yr engine warranty?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Why the heck does an alternator have a decoupler? Is this some start-stop BS requirement?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rockauto.com. $275 for a rebuilt.

Garry in AZ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Rubicon, 3 pedal club.
Occupation
Engineering
Overrunning Alternator Decouplers "OAD's" have been around for a long time. See the article below from an industry journal.

The first versions of over-running clutch pulleys were simple one-way clutches. They turned in one direction, but not the other. They were called alternator over-running clutches (AOCs) or alternator decoupler pulleys (ADPs).

The latest version, the over-running alternator decoupler (OAD) differs from earlier components by having a spring inside that absorbs torsional vibrations (base engine vibrations). Most techs just call all of these devices pulley clutches. However, there are differences and the various styles are not interchangeable.

Simple, one-way clutches allow the alternator pulley to continue spinning when the engine is shut off and during shifting. This helps prevent the belt noise and chirping that often occurred when the belt stopped, but the alternator tried to keep spinning.

After all, there is a lot of mass on a high-output alternator rotor that wants to keep rotating. The higher the alternator output, the more massive the rotor and the more inertia.

Engines suddenly decelerate when switched off. But the mass inside the spinning alternator resists stopping. This happens not only when the engine is switched off, but also when any sudden change in engine speed occurs, such as when the transmission downshifts into passing gear or whenever the driver aggressively shifts gears at wide-open throttle.

Sometimes, the problem occurs during slow speed maneuvers such as parking or when the air conditioning compressor kicks on at idle, particularly when the transmission is in drive.

One of the advantages to carmakers is that the OAD allows them to use narrower drive belts and lower reduced effort belt tensioners. This reduces the bearing load on the other components such as the air conditioner compressor, power steering pump, water pump and idlers. Improved fuel economy from lower idle speed and reduced parasitic loss is another benefit.

“The OAD is the device absorbing the energy in the belt drive and, as such, is a wear item. It is the punching bag for the accessories,” says John Lussier of Tendeco Sales Inc., which distributes OADs in North America.

The first over-running alternator pulley was installed on a 2000 Opel in Europe. That was followed in North America by the trio of Chrysler minivans: Voyager, Caravan and the Town & Country.

Today, there are over 52 million vehicles equipped with OADs. Industry experts predict that that number will climb to 160 million by 2018.

Currently, 95% of all Toyotas have OADs; 100% of Chrysler’s 4-cylinder and V-6 engines have them. All of GM’s engines currently under development will come equipped with them. Ditto for Hyundai and Kia.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Saw a video somewhere that simply replaced the decoupler.

Here you go.
Sponsored