Line of oil on top of engine

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do not, I stress DO NOT wait for it to fail. Happened to me on my 3.6 Grand Cherokee on a trip. 90 miles from home in the mountains. It turned a $400 job into a $3000 job when it fried the ECM and took the battery and a few other electronics with it. Plus it was a $350 tow and a $150 Uber ride home. Oh and when it all goes you have seconds to get off the road when it locks you in 1st gear.

I could go on because my situation got worse when it happened, but you get the point.
Good advice. And given that the coupler is a $60 part (aftermarket only, from what I could find), a DIY guy could save almost all that cost you incurred.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This "decoupler" appears to be a sprag clutch. It locks the outer pulley to the inner shaft when driven in the normal direction, then allows it to spin freely in the other direction. So, if you replace yours, make sure you get one compatible for the JL application, which seems to have the alternator pointed pulley end to the aft of the vehicle and likely rotating opposite of more common installations. Otherwise, the pulley will just spin and the alternator won't be driven.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Do not, I stress DO NOT wait for it to fail. Happened to me on my 3.6 Grand Cherokee on a trip. 90 miles from home in the mountains. It turned a $400 job into a $3000 job when it fried the ECM and took the battery and a few other electronics with it. Plus it was a $350 tow and a $150 Uber ride home. Oh and when it all goes you have seconds to get off the road when it locks you in 1st gear.

I could go on because my situation got worse when it happened, but you get the point.
I've seen a number of them fail. Seems that it used to be common on VW's then they must have figured it out. After that Chrysler seems to be taking up the slack where VW left off.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Post #15 makes a good reason why Mopar Extended Warranty is a good idea. These are complex vehicles, and failures get expensive FAST

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Don’t listen to anyone telling you to pull that damn pulley off. Replace the alternator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
:LOL:

Messup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I would highly recommend taking an inspection camera and checking under the oil cooler in the valley of the engine. A leaking oil cooler gasket will give the same line behind the alternator.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would highly recommend taking an inspection camera and checking under the oil cooler in the valley of the engine. A leaking oil cooler gasket will give the same line behind the alternator.
But a careful examination of the alternator sprag pulley should reveal whether the grease is coming out of it or just being contaminated with it. Also, engine motor oil smells very specific and has a different smell than greases. Especially used engine oil.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've got the top of my engine in pieces for this exact same reason. I don't think it has anything to do with the alternator, but it's something with the oil filter housing. Since I can't get an aftermarket one made of metal anytime soon, I'm forced to replace it with another plastic Mopar unit. I originally thought I had a valve cover leak because oil was caked on it, but the gaskets were actually okay.

Apparently this is such a common issue with FCA engines, dealerships sell these things quite often and mine had plenty of them in stock. While I've got this thing totally opened up, I replaced the spark plugs and gaskets anyway.

Despite this being a cheaply designed part, I probably overtorqued the cap during an oil change at some point and tweaked something. I'm in the process of putting everything back together and crossing my fingers the leak is gone. Other than the oil in the valley, I don't see anything wrong with the engine and minus this issue, she's been solid since day one. Luckily, I didn't have any symptoms such as a CEL, misfires, or low oil pressure beforehand.

Last edited:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stand corrected. It's not just the oil filter housing, but both. I got the engine put back together, everything is sealed nice and tight, and I'm still getting that line right under the belt. I've got an alternator on order that I'll replace on Monday.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I stand corrected. It's not just the oil filter housing, but both. I got the engine put back together, everything is sealed nice and tight, and I'm still getting that line right under the belt. I've got an alternator on order that I'll replace on Monday.
How bad was the cooler leaking?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How bad was the cooler leaking?
It wasn't really that bad up until recently. I probably made it worse with the last oil change I did about a month ago, but based on how much I had to clean off, I'd guess it's been a very tiny problem that's been growing since the summer. I can't really measure how much oil it's been losing, but it was enough that fixing it has eliminated a rough idle. I was probably short a quart. I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately, but the entire passenger side valve cover was caked real good. The driver side wasn't quite as bad.

The grease spray from the alternator is a very recent development and looks just like the OP's picture. Since I had oil everywhere and definite signs of a leak, I just assumed the line under the pulley was another part of it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
It wasn't really that bad up until recently. I probably made it worse with the last oil change I did about a month ago, but based on how much I had to clean off, I'd guess it's been a very tiny problem that's been growing since the summer. I can't really measure how much oil it's been losing, but it was enough that fixing it has eliminated a rough idle. I was probably short a quart. I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately, but the entire passenger side valve cover was caked real good. The driver side wasn't quite as bad.

The grease spray from the alternator is a very recent development and looks just like the OP's picture. Since I had oil everywhere and definite signs of a leak, I just assumed the line under the pulley was another part of it.
I sincerely doubt that the oil leak had anything to do with a rough idle. More likely the resealing of the intake and fresh spark plugs.

j.stotts

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Since there was no update for this I’ll leave this here for any future people that have this issue. I had the same issue as the OP and it was that bearing leaking on the alternator. Replaced the alternator and now there is no issue. Mine was the bigger tow package alternator FYI.
Jeep Wrangler JL Line of oil on top of engine 40F68C97-A9EA-43EC-8226-2EDD5D55B302

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the tow package with the upgraded alternator and I don't want to replace the entire alternator just because the pulley is leaking grease. I would rather replace just the pulley before it fails, saving around $300.

I looked all over the net and was unable to find an Alternator Decoupler Pulley to fit a JL. FYI the Napa part link Roniecowpony posted earlier in the thread does not fit the JL according to Napa. However all the other infromation Roniecowpony posted was very helpful. If anyone has had any luck finding just the Alternator Decoupler Pulley for a JL please let me know. Thanks in advance
Sponsored