Line of oil on top of engine

ppfingsten

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
While changing my oil the other day I noticed this weird little oil leak on top of the engine and can’t seem to find where it’s coming from. Has anyone had this issue?

Jeep Wrangler JL Line of oil on top of engine CF72FC69-0B51-483D-B780-075F281BC067
Jeep Wrangler JL Line of oil on top of engine 0E7214DE-831D-4071-B16B-B656232C8AF6
Sponsored

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

Your photos intrigued me enough that I went and looked under the hood of my 2018. I would investigate further down - it could be something that the belt is picking up and then flinging out when it goes around the alternator pulley. Do you see a similar oil line on the underside of your hood?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Looks like something is definitely hitting the belt, and spun outward. Its on both sides of the belt. It looks more like grease, from the Alternator.

OP
OP

ppfingsten

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Looks like something is definitely hitting the belt, and spun outward. Its on both sides of the belt. It looks more like grease, from the Alternator.
Can’t see anything lower down where it would be coming from. I agree that it looks more like grease. Maybe from the alternator pulley or something. I see the cam position sensor o ring is leaking but I think that is unrelated.
Jeep Wrangler JL Line of oil on top of engine CC026A3D-4E7B-4C53-BA97-EDA97F67B6A3

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Can’t see anything lower down where it would be coming from. I agree that it looks more like grease. Maybe from the alternator pulley or something. I see the cam position sensor o ring is leaking but I think that is unrelated.
Jeep Wrangler JL Line of oil on top of engine CC026A3D-4E7B-4C53-BA97-EDA97F67B6A3
This new photo shows the grease is leaking out the end of the Alternator pulley area. You can see the grease on the end of the pulley. I would ignore it, unless it starts making noise, or if you are close to your warranty expiring. If either, let the dealership look at it.

Sponsored

Christopher S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I have the same issue. 2019 Rubicon V6.
It is the sealed bearing in the alternator that is no longer sealed and the oil or grease is coming out of the end cap.
Mechanic said to do nothing until it fails.
Don't really like that advise but the extended warranty will not replace it unless the mechanic can justify it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the same issue. 2019 Rubicon V6.
It is the sealed bearing in the alternator that is no longer sealed and the oil or grease is coming out of the end cap.
Mechanic said to do nothing until it fails.
Don't really like that advise but the extended warranty will not replace it unless the mechanic can justify it.
Yeah, what happened to "preventative maintenance"?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A little followup, I see that Mopar doesn't sell service parts for the alternator assembly. So, the entire alternator has to be replaced if sticking with Mopar parts and they are pricey for new alternators.

Sometimes, manufacturers/dealers start up rebuilt component programs for parts like this later in the life of the model. But no guarantees.

A quick look at the Autozone site shows Duralast remanufactured alternators for about $400.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The grease is coming out of the alternator clutch. So that part might be available separately. If it's like on a German car, it's a challenge to remove. If you just do a search on "alternator clutch" you get plenty of articles of what it does and how it works.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Which alternator do you guys have? The standard one or the tow package one?

I'm not familiar with this particular part. Is it possible to repack it and reseal it?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The grease is coming out of the alternator clutch. So that part might be available separately. If it's like on a German car, it's a challenge to remove. If you just do a search on "alternator clutch" you get plenty of articles of what it does and how it works.
On the Mopar parts sites, there are no separate parts shown. Just the entire alternator assembly.

I wasn't aware we had a clutch on there. But not much surprise.

I searched "does mopar use a clutch on alternators" and this interesting forum thread came up: Important alternator Info - YOU NEED TO KNOW | The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You need an alternator. If under warranty, get it in quick.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Do not, I stress DO NOT wait for it to fail. Happened to me on my 3.6 Grand Cherokee on a trip. 90 miles from home in the mountains. It turned a $400 job into a $3000 job when it fried the ECM and took the battery and a few other electronics with it. Plus it was a $350 tow and a $150 Uber ride home. Oh and when it all goes you have seconds to get off the road when it locks you in 1st gear.

I could go on because my situation got worse when it happened, but you get the point.
Sponsored