Sponsored

Like or hate ESS on 3.6 vs 2.0

Do you like or hate the ESS with the engine you chose?

• Total voters

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I like the ESS system if it saves me a gallon of fuel a years and saves the planet for the next few Generations I'm all good with it.
Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
I'm willing to bet that everyone who hates it is a grumpy ass old man.
“Grumpy ass old man” translates into “home owner with a 401k who doesn’t live in his mom’s basement.”

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Don’t even know it’s there on the 2.0....virtually seamless except for the tiniest shudder when it starts up. People that complain about it are people that enjoy complaining in general.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have the 3,6 and so far, i don't mind it.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
On my Jeep, v6 six speed, it really never engages as I do not put it in neutral and release the clutch at stop that often so I don’t mind. In my wife’s Rubicon, 2.0 Turbo, it is very noticeable, especially when it is 90* plus and the AC output is reduced!

Gregj

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Ya know, initially I kinda liked it. Saving fuel is always a good thing, and I like how quiet it is at traffic lights. But having lived with it for a while now, I find it more and more grating. First, it jerks every time the engine starts, and it feels like when I was first learning to drive a manual (minus the idiotic stalling). I beat it to the gas pedal every time, and need to consciously think about the restart to avoid dropping it.

Further, in stop and go traffic, I never know whether it'll kick on or not. Often I'll be stopped for 1 second or less, and have it kick on. Or I'll be stopped for 2 minutes with the engine running nonstop. This is separate from the lack of predictability related to heating/cooling.

Moreover, everybody who gets in comments on how obtrusive it is. I'm not expecting a luxury car, but for $50k I feel like I shouldn't have to apologize for the jerkiness of my vehicle.

Finally, are we REALLY saving gas? I don't see it. I get the same fuel economy with or without ESS on. It's a drop in the bucket [literally] for both my wallet and the environment, and I have a hard time justifying it for the irritations above.

I'm over it, really. Maybe OP's right and its the 3.6, but I find myself turning it off more and more often...

Stoney126

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 7.3 superduty4x4/ 17 blacktop rt charger/2000 xj
I turn mine off when I get in. 3.6 auto here. The operation isnt very seamless but thats not my reason for turning it off. The extra wear and tear in the long run would negate any fuel cost savings. Not sure of environmental impact, I would think in the long run excessive restarting of the engine would cause accelerated component failure causing less efficient operation. I dont hate it but it doesnt see usage.

I'm sure there is info out there on vehicles with start stop. I'd like to see data showing if any of the above is true.

Last edited:

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Most people say they don't like the ESS due to the wear it puts on the starter (BS) that's is a silly excuse, ESS has been around for 15 plus year's and it is proven tech. I had a Range Rover 50k miles zero issues a BMW 60k miles zero issues look up the issues with it almost zero so people or just LYING about the reason they don't like it.

Spend 150 dollars to delete it, STUPID push the darn button.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Practical Motoring spoke with the technical boss at a leading car maker who said that stop-start doesn’t cause additional wear and tear on an engine but that the owner must adhere to the recommended service schedule and use the manufacturer’s recommended oil. “Using cheaper oils can cause more damage to your car’s engine than anything else,” he told Practical Motoring. “Operational stop-start causes no wear and tear at all; wear and tear at cold start-up is a thing, though,” he said.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Ya know, initially I kinda liked it. Saving fuel is always a good thing, and I like how quiet it is at traffic lights. But having lived with it for a while now, I find it more and more grating. First, it jerks every time the engine starts, and it feels like when I was first learning to drive a manual (minus the idiotic stalling). I beat it to the gas pedal every time, and need to consciously think about the restart to avoid dropping it.

Further, in stop and go traffic, I never know whether it'll kick on or not. Often I'll be stopped for 1 second or less, and have it kick on. Or I'll be stopped for 2 minutes with the engine running nonstop. This is separate from the lack of predictability related to heating/cooling.

Moreover, everybody who gets in comments on how obtrusive it is. I'm not expecting a luxury car, but for $50k I feel like I shouldn't have to apologize for the jerkiness of my vehicle.

Finally, are we REALLY saving gas? I don't see it. I get the same fuel economy with or without ESS on. It's a drop in the bucket [literally] for both my wallet and the environment, and I have a hard time justifying it for the irritations above.

I'm over it, really. Maybe OP's right and its the 3.6, but I find myself turning it off more and more often...
Same. I was giving it an honest try, but the jerkiness and unpredictability drive me nuts and I’m turning it off.
Sponsored