Sponsored

Like or hate ESS on 3.6 vs 2.0

Do you like or hate the ESS with the engine you chose?

• Total voters

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My own Jeep has the 3.6 liter and I do like using the ESS at stoplights. I've learned how to avoid triggering an autostop at stopsigns and other quick stops. I've driven a 2.0 Rubicon and a 5.7 Ram Rebel with the ETorque and I can say that the restarts are much smoother than the 12V ESS. That being said, I don't regret getting the V6, but if it comes down to it and I need a new Jeep I'll be looking at the 2.0 with renewed interest.
By then the JL should have the 3.6 eTorque available too.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Don’t understand people saying it’s free money. Maybe if you don’t keep your Jeep long. We don’t know the long term cost of repairs and maintenance will be. Chances are, it will negate any fuel savings long term. Battery replacement, components that were upgraded for the extra starts will cost more to eventually replace, etc

snakesnakington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
Don’t understand people saying it’s free money. Maybe if you don’t keep your Jeep long. We don’t know the long term cost of repairs and maintenance will be. Chances are, it will negate any fuel savings long term. Battery replacement, components that were upgraded for the extra starts will cost more to eventually replace, etc
Whole buncha maybes in that post, though.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
ESS is a great system. You can turn it off for the trails and leave it on the rest of the time. There is really no reason NOT to like it.
The reason not to like it is that its built in with a price!

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Compared to the ESS systems in our BMWs the Jeep 2.0T system is barely noticeable. If you insist on driving like a d-bag and taking off the moment a light turns green, you'll dislike it. For everyone else who notices how many people run red lights and hesitate for a second or two before going, it's not an issue.

The gas savings might seem inconsequential when looking at a single vehicle, but I've seen estimates that idling cars waste 3.9 BILLION gallons of gas each year in the U.S. alone.

Engineering Explained video:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
By then the JL should have the 3.6 eTorque available too.
I still haven't seen anything on the Etorque for the 3.6 in the Jeep... But the infrastructure is already there and the Ram 1500 has it on its 3.6 so its not outside the realm of possibility.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I still haven't seen anything on the Etorque for the 3.6 in the Jeep... But the infrastructure is already there and the Ram 1500 has it on its 3.6 so its not outside the realm of possibility.
Yep, Ram makes eTorque standard on its 3.6, but optional on the 5.7

There were build codes in the 2019 Wrangler order guide for the 3.6 eTorque, (25B/25S/25G/25R) but just like the 3.0 EcoDiesel (26B/26G/26R), the engine never materialized for this year.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, Ram makes eTorque standard on its 3.6, but optional on the 5.7

There were build codes in the 2019 Wrangler order guide for the 3.6 eTorque, (25B/25S/25G/25R) but just like the 3.0 EcoDiesel (26B/26G/26R), the engine never materialized for this year.
Now that EcoDiesel just might make it worth trading for, if it ever actually comes to the Wrangler. :)

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I have a 3.6 and like it. I disable it if I think it’ll cause any trouble. For example, I live in NYC and daily drive it. If I’m going on a highway, know I have a lot of short lights, or stop signs, I disable it. Other routes it’ll stay on. I’d say it’s disabled 50% of the time.

Sponsored

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
I hate it simply based on the fact it is currently the No. 1 reason I’ve had the JL in the shop twice already with ESS troubles and only 1600 mi.

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
One thing to consider is that people with the 3.6 are probably more resistant to change than those who bought a 2.0. I bought the 3.6 because I’m my mind a Jeep shouldn’t have a 4 banger. And I think the ASS is an unnecessary feature that is just one more opportunity for problems to occur.

I also feel like when it restarts, it gives the impression my Jeep is a POS that stalls out and I need to restart it.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have always tuned this out on previous cars & trucks that had this function, but I just do not really fly around in my jeep I just cruise, and I really like it.
Sponsored