Sponsored

Like or hate ESS on 3.6 vs 2.0

Do you like or hate the ESS with the engine you chose?

• Total voters

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I have been trying to get a read on if there is a difference between the 3.6 and the 2.0T regarding the ESS system. My suspicion is that the 2.0T system works better than on the 3.6. Folks seem diametrically opposed in their thoughts on ESS and I wonder if that's due to different experiences in the different engines.

(Yes, I know there are other polls and threads on the ESS in general, but haven't found anything that breaks it down by engine type.)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting results so far...

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Problem with the poll is the 3.6 can be had with either auto or manual, where the 2.0 is auto only. Can have a different experience with the 3.6 depending on transmission.

OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Problem with the poll is the 3.6 can be had with either auto or manual, where the 2.0 is auto only. Can have a different experience with the 3.6 depending on transmission.
True enough. Guess that's why I don't do polls for a living. :headbang:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Like Iā€™ve said before, itā€™s actually named correctly. Even the warning light is an ā€œAā€. Itā€™s the Automatic stop/start system. The ASS system. The engineer who put it on my Jeep was an ass, the salesman who couldnā€™t define its working perimeters was an ass, and when it engages and Iā€™m not expecting it, I feel like an ass.
Guess how I voted:angry:
3.6 auto

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Like Iā€™ve said before, itā€™s actually named correctly. Even the warning light is an ā€œAā€. Itā€™s the Automatic stop/start system. The ASS system.
I always thought that ABS was named wrong too. Anti Braking System? That makes no sense... I want my car to brake. What I don't want is a skid, so it should be the Anti Skid System.

OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought that ABS was named wrong too. Anti Braking System? That makes no sense... I want my car to brake. What I don't want is a skid, so it should be the Anti Skid System.
Ummm... isn't is the Antilock Braking System? I could be mistaken.. :giggle:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Isnā€™t it anti- lock braking system? So your wheels donā€™t lock up and skid? Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always heard it called

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Also note that if you have an automatic and put the shifter into ā€œMā€ mode, the ESS is not activated, you can sort of drive the thing like a convenient manual, get better mileage, take full advantage of engine braking and not have to worry about ESS either. Win win.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Isnā€™t it anti- lock braking system? So your wheels donā€™t lock up and skid? Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always heard it called
Yes, I was mistaken.

I guess ABS is just a catchier name than A-LBS /s.

Last edited:

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
I've driven a number of vehicles, including the 3.6 JL, with a conventional ESS and I'm not a fan.

The BSG on the 2.0 though makes all the difference and I let it do its thing. The start is much more seamless and the Jeep starts rolling the instant you let off the brake thanks to the electric motor. There is no delay or noise to crank the engine because the 2.0 only uses a regular starter when you first start the engine. Every other restart is done using the electric motor instead of the starter.