Lightbars: Over windshield vs. hood mounts

JLPilot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hey all, had a white Tacoma with an over the windshield lightbar and the glare was too much on the hood for it to be of any real use.. so I was thinking of going with a hood mounted bar (single row, 40” max) on my bright white JLUR and wanted to know what the bright white owner experience has been with glare on their hood from a hood mounted bar.. thanks.
Sponsored

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
you would benefit from a matte or dark colored hood decal/sticker

my setup 30" single row diode dynamic white driving lenses.
unfortunately I don't have a pic at night to show, however the glare is drastically reduced (lightbar and the sun) with the hood decal from @pixeldecals
bottom pic has bare white hood

20210925_105810.jpg

20210719_035659.jpg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So... IMO a light bar on the hood is as good as teets on a bull. If you really do wheel at night you will see that A LOT of that light is lost on the hood and useless to you. Mount some A pillar lights or bumper lights and you will actually reap a reward at night.
The pic above is a great example of how much light is being lost on that bar across the hood.

EDIT:
If you took that same bar and moved it to the end of the hood you would massively increase it's worth... but that would look even more dumb.

Sponsored

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So... IMO a light bar on the hood is as good as teets on a bull. If you really do wheel at night you will see that A LOT of that light is lost on the hood and useless to you. Mount some A pillar lights or bumper lights and you will actually reap a reward at night.
The pic above is a great example of how much light is being lost on that bar across the hood.

EDIT:
If you took that same bar and moved it to the end of the hood you would massively increase it's worth... but that would look even more dumb.
you are not wrong at all, with the hood decal you don't get all the light refraction, in the drivers seat with a white hood you almost get blinded. with the decal you almost don't see the hood.

I got my light bar and ordered the hood decal around the same time, one took a few months to get...

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
that's sad
my best friend and jeeper @Whiskeybiskit put his window down one day and we drove around his neighborhood, its okay, not something I would regularly do, we do a lot of doors off off-roading and I get enough dust in the jeep as is.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
that's sad
I run topless and doorless about half the year but have yet to drop the windshield. Is that really something you do on a regular basis?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
my best friend and jeeper @Whiskeybiskit put his window down one day and we drove around his neighborhood, its okay, not something I would regularly do, we do a lot of doors off off-roading and I get enough dust in the jeep as is.
Hear that! Especially out here where you and I live. My buttons are starting to stick on the HVAC, etc... from all the dust :(

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hear that! Especially out here where you and I live. My buttons are starting to stick on the HVAC, etc... from all the dust :(
I use a shop vac to clean out a majority of the jeep after a good day of off-roading, I use a compressor to clean the dash and buttons and small spaces. about to invest in a better compressor than what I already have, for jeep stuff and air powered tool possibilities

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I use a shop vac to clean out a majority of the jeep after a good day of off-roading, I use a compressor to clean the dash and buttons and small spaces. about to invest in a better compressor than what I already have, for jeep stuff and air powered tool possibilities
My go to is a leaf blower then a wipe down with a damp cloth but I need to start tending those buttons more. Sorry for the derail OP :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Side note: If you and @Whiskeybiskit are ever at Sand Hollow and want to hit some trails let me know.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Side note: If you and @Whiskeybiskit are ever at Sand Hollow and want to hit some trails let me know.
absolutely! I watch Matts off road on youtube. you guys are really close and we will be getting out there one day, gonna get lifts and bigger tires at some point
Sponsored