Light Switch Dimmers. What does this do!!!?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
What on earth does the Wheel to the LEFT Do? I know the right is for the Instrument Cluster and Interior Lights. When I move the other one I don't see anything happening LOL.

IMG_5742.JPG
Advertisement

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
It's a light dimmer for the inside floor lights..."mood" lighting. You'll have to adjust it at night.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So if you have a trim level with the ambient lighting, it is very noticeable as it dims the floor lighting. On lower trim levels without the floor lighting, the only thing it does is dim the lights in the door handles.

Yes there are lights there and yes the wheel does work...you just have to have the lights and the other wheel in the right spot. I have a Sport S (no floor lighting) and I have to have the headlights on (either manually on with the switch or when the automatic lights kicks on) and the right wheel has to be below both of the top detents. To clarify, the right wheel when rolled all the way to the top (the top detent) turns on the dome light. You roll it down to the second detent and all the gauges and radio are at max brightness. Then you roll it down past the second detent and you can adjust the brightness of the gauges and radio. This is where the lights in the handle of the lower trim levels comes on and then the left wheel adjusts the brightness of these.

Keep in mind that it’s not a huge change...almost not even worth putting in IMO...but I’m sure they did it so they could put the same switch in every JL. Hope this helps!

OP
OP

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
So if you have a trim level with the ambient lighting, it is very noticeable as it dims the floor lighting. On lower trim levels without the floor lighting, the only thing it does is dim the lights in the door handles.

Yes there are lights there and yes the wheel does work...you just have to have the lights and the other wheel in the right spot. I have a Sport S (no floor lighting) and I have to have the headlights on (either manually on with the switch or when the automatic lights kicks on) and the right wheel has to be below both of the top detents. To clarify, the right wheel when rolled all the way to the top (the top detent) turns on the dome light. You roll it down to the second detent and all the gauges and radio are at max brightness. Then you roll it down past the second detent and you can adjust the brightness of the gauges and radio. This is where the lights in the handle of the lower trim levels comes on and then the left wheel adjusts the brightness of these.

Keep in mind that it’s not a huge change...almost not even worth putting in IMO...but I’m sure they did it so they could put the same switch in every JL. Hope this helps!
Ya thats why I thought maybe it was just a filler switch LOL. Because when I moved it I didn't notice anything. I did notice one time a bigger change with some of the lighting when like you mentioned I had the right switch on the right spot. I guess I'll just mess with it more. And I have a Regular SPORT. maybe I should tie it into like a CARGO area light

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@RubenZ; it took me a while to finally figure out the magic combination. So I thought it was filler for while too...there have been a few other threads on the forum about that switch and even then, it took me a bit to get it right...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
It should work. Have them check your dimmer fluid at next oil change.:)

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement