Light location

NonHypenatedAmerican

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
I just installed Diode Dynamic SS3 driving pattern lights. One set is yellow and one set is white. Currently I have both yellow lights mounted low atop the bumper and slightly spaced out from the center of the bumper and the white lights mounted hanging from my bull bar spread as wide as they can go. Both sets of lights are intended to be used for highway and back country road driving. Florida allows for auxiliary driving lights at a min and max height. Nothing about color other than no red of blue and can not shine into vehicles and blind drivers, etc. Figured I could use the white lights in light rain and those times where headlights are not quite needed yet. The yellow would be used for heavy rain and fog. No snow but definitely gets foggy at times when I get off of work in the morning. What setups are people running?
Sponsored

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Figured I could use the white lights in light rain and those times where headlights are not quite needed yet.
Instead of adding white lights to use during “those times where headlights are not quite needed,” why not just use the white lights that came with the vehicle and turn on the headlights? I can understand fog lights and I can understand off-road lights, but I’m not understanding the advantage of adding what sounds like second headlights when the original ones should be just fine.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Instead of adding white lights to use during “those times where headlights are not quite needed,” why not just use the white lights that came with the vehicle and turn on the headlights? I can understand fog lights and I can understand off-road lights, but I’m not understanding the advantage of adding what sounds like second headlights when the original ones should be just fine.
On a sketchy trail the more light the better. We have a cabin in that is 16 miles off of the nearest logging road. That trail can be sketchy at best sometimes, especially in rain or snow. Maybe the OP has a similar situation.

OP
OP
NonHypenatedAmerican

NonHypenatedAmerican

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Guess I should of proof read that before I submitted. I have halogen headlights and they are not that bright. I put LED lights in my halogen housings at one point but was disappointed and went back to halogens. Should of kept it simple and asked which light should be on top and which on the bottom.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Gotta confirm what OP said. The OEM halogens are terrible. I spent an asinine amount of money and upgraded everything to the Mopar led package.

I have 4 Rigid DSS on the A-pillars (2 driving, 2 spot) and a pair of 6" Rigid 360 series on the bumper. WAY too bright for use where there is oncoming traffic. I used to have PIAA 05672 on the bumper and those were dim enough to use on the road. You can see the PIAAs in my profile pic.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I should of proof read that before I submitted. I have halogen headlights and they are not that bright. I put LED lights in my halogen housings at one point but was disappointed and went back to halogens. Should of kept it simple and asked which light should be on top and which on the bottom.
Ambers work better when mounted lower. And best when they have a spot lense or a distinct cutoff line. Ambers are great for cutting through fog, dust, rain, and snow to illuminate objects in the distance. But if the light floods too far upward into your immediate sight line, it will still glare out your view of what's ahead. Not as bad as white light, but still enough to sorta defeat the point of having ambers to cut through.

I found this out during a couple of decent snow storms last winter. I have white lighting on my a-pillars and ambers on my front bumper. The ambers were only available with spot/flood combo lenses, and I was getting more glare back than I previously expected. As soon as the company releases spot lenses for the ambers, I plan on switching over the center pair. I'll leave the combos on the outer pair, as I have them wired to 2 separate switches.
Jeep Wrangler JL Light location 20210128_132835_resized

OP
OP
NonHypenatedAmerican

NonHypenatedAmerican

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
I just installed Diode Dynamic SS3 driving pattern lights. One set is yellow and one set is white. Currently I have both yellow lights mounted low atop the bumper and slightly spaced out from the center of the bumper and the white lights mounted hanging from my bull bar spread as wide as they can go. Both sets of lights are intended to be used for highway and back country road driving. Florida allows for auxiliary driving lights at a min and max height. Nothing about color other than no red of blue and can not shine into vehicles and blind drivers, etc. Figured I could use the white lights in light rain and those times where headlights are not quite needed yet. The yellow would be used for heavy rain and fog. No snow but definitely gets foggy at times when I get off of work in the morning. What setups are people running?
Finally got the lights the way I wanted them. Initially the lights hanging from the bullbar had the wires coming from halfway up the bullbar. I didnt like that so I routed them up higher and had the wires come down behind the lights. Unfortunately I had to use zip ties. Open to suggestions for replacing the zip ties that mount the wire looms to the bullbar.

20210611_160202.jpg

20210615_163658.jpg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm in the process of installing a pair of baja design squadron (amber) sport driving combo on the underside of the bull bar. also a pair of baja design squadron sport pro (clear) driving combo on my a-pillar.
Sponsored