Sponsored

Lifts 2.5 or 3.5in? Rubicon Express or Teraflex?

roughrider76

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL and a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Hello everyone, kinda a noob to this whole Jeep thing. Always been a sports car guy. I bought a 2020 JLU Sport plus and was thinking about going with a 2.5 lift but now I'm thinking more of a 3.5 instead. Either way I go I'll have 35 on the Jeep. What would be some reasons not to go with a 3.5in lift, would it be that much different then a 2.5? Also I was thinking about going with a Teraflex lift but the guys at the shop are saying go with the Rubicon Express and save a little money. What's your opinions? Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
If you are already having the internal dialog of 2.5" vs. 3.5" go ahead and go 3.5" because you will most likely have the conversation soon enough about 35" vs. 37" and at that point you will wish you chose 3.5" lift.

The Mrs. and I both run Teraflex ST3 3.5" lift w 37s and it is a great stance. I can also tell you it's a pretty accurate lift as well. For example the Mopar 2" lift on a Sport has clocked in at 3" or more for some people. Be forewarned that the Falcon shocks do tend to be stiffer than others. If you go Falcon I'd recommend the SP2 version of whatever you go with because you can get the shock adjusted to a little softer than a non SP2 version.
I've also heard good things about Fox 2.0 shocks which is what we will most likely be cutting the Mrs. over to since she needs a softer ride.
I've also heard good things about Metal Cloak and Rock Krawler lifts.
Personally I'm not a Rubicon Express fan and the reason is on their basic budget spacer lift they were asking $400 while Rough Country was $180. They are virtually identical kits and are literally metal hockey pucks you put on top of the coils with some extension brackets for the shocks.
While that has NO BEARING whatsoever on this conversation it left a real bad taste in my mouth for the company. I'm sure I'll get blasted by some fan boy but the reality is Rubicon Express isn't on the same level as Teraflex, MC, RK or Clayton.

Do your homework here on the forum and call around to some other reputable shops for advice. Know that you are going to find fan boys of all different brands and also know that some of those fan boys can't stand to hear other opinions... lol :)

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
2.5" will look great with the 35s. Taller and there's a little too much wheel to top of fender gap for most. The 2.5 also makes getting in and out easier for spouses, kids, parents (yes, and even us), which means less drag on door sills and dirty pant legs. You shouldn't have any issues with rubbing at full lock/articulation (wheel dependent) when offroad either. Better aerodynamics for fuel efficiency, wind noise, and handling on the roads, too.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
As to your mfg question, I'd choose Teraflex over Rubicon Express any day. You do pay for the quality, but worth it. I don't have JL experience, but I installed Teraflex lifts on my JKURs. I have also installed Rubicon Express lifts on XJs and TJs. Again, not apples to apples, but I've seen both.

I too say look at MetalCloak and Rock Krawler lifts as well. Many people here were recommending the Daystar. A lot of the difference comes down to the control arm and track bar joints. Some are more bushing to limit vibration while others are more mechanical socket to increase articulation. You may have some experience with this in sports and track cars. Again comes down to what you want the Jeep to be for you.

No matter what, get a lift with at least both front lower control arms (adjustable if you can swing it), 4 new coil springs (not just spacers), adjustable front track bar (to keep the front axle centered), and extended front sway bar links (quick disconnect ones would be ideal if you plan to off road as the Sport doesn't have the Rubicon electronic disconnect).

Nice to have beyond that would be bump stop extensions.

Congrats on the Jeep and welcome!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, kinda a noob to this whole Jeep thing. Always been a sports car guy. I bought a 2020 JLU Sport plus and was thinking about going with a 2.5 lift but now I'm thinking more of a 3.5 instead. Either way I go I'll have 35 on the Jeep. What would be some reasons not to go with a 3.5in lift, would it be that much different then a 2.5? Also I was thinking about going with a Teraflex lift but the guys at the shop are saying go with the Rubicon Express and save a little money. What's your opinions? Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
2.5" and 35's is an excellent combo. My vote is to go with the 2.5" Metalcloak True Dual Rate kit with their Rocksport shocks that were designed and tuned to complement their springs. It will serve as a solid foundation that can be expanded on down the road, with the remaining control arms and steering linkages that don't come with the initial lift kit.
Sponsored