Lifting JLUR hardtop by the roof rack

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked and answered elsewhere...

Has anyone been using their roof rack as a lifting point when storing their top with a pulley system? I'm wondering if I can use a rack (I haven't purchased one yet) as a lifting point and either create or use padded hooks on an existing lift system to lift my top for storage, without damaging it of course!

What rack/lift systems are you using if doing this?

Thanks for the help!

rhinorack.jpg
Sponsored

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
I don't think any rack manufacturers recommend lifting the hardtop by the rack. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but i would imagine you would be putting a lot of stress in the areas the rack is attached without any extra support in those areas. It would be like lifting a kid up by his ears.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am guessing the balance points won't be right but even if you attach the hoist ropes where they recommend the weight of the rack will throw off the balance. I haven't put in a hoist because I have a 8 foot ceiling in the garage plus trusses instead of ceiling joists. I have four teenage grandsons as my hoist. Considering how much they eat when they are over a hoist would be cheaper.

OP
OP
DarkWater

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
I don't think any rack manufacturers recommend lifting the hardtop by the rack. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but i would imagine you would be putting a lot of stress in the areas the rack is attached without any extra support in those areas. It would be like lifting a kid up by his ears.
I appreciate it, I do agree, it seems like a simple solution to the issue without spending so much on the specialty lift or having to remove the top before removal. Alas...I may just pony for the Top LIft Pro or something similar.

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
I did this with a rack that bolts into the hardtop. The hardtop is not that heavy, it all seems fine.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
How much does the roof weigh? What is the rated capacity of the rack? As long as the roof is less than the capacity, I think it would be fine. Roof racks are made to hold cargo under stress, therefore I expect the opposite to hold true.

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
How much does the roof weigh? What is the rated capacity of the rack? As long as the roof is less than the capacity, I think it would be fine. Roof racks are made to hold cargo under stress, therefore I expect the opposite to hold true.
Most of the racks rely on the roll (sports) bar to support the rack and its weight. By hanging from the rack itself, you are relying on the fiberglass area the rack attaches to support the whole top. I'm no engineer, but that seems to be a point of failure.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Most of the racks rely on the roll (sports) bar to support the rack and its weight. By hanging from the rack itself, you are relying on the fiberglass area the rack attaches to support the whole top. I'm no engineer, but that seems to be a point of failure.
Maybe, but if the rack is attached to the roof enough that it doesn't blow off at highway speeds, with stuff strapped to it, then it should be good to support holding up the roof. ;)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm also in the school of thought that says it's probably fine to do depending on the method of attachment to the roof, but better advised being done by something that contacts the interior side of the roof, especially a strap in front that spreads the weight. It is though only 100 pounds.

One notable exception at least for the back: the Topsy hooks that attach to the rear window hinge bolts.

http://topsyproducts.com/products/hinge_hook_hoist_bracket

Off topic OP to that asked, here's a video of someone lifting their entire rig by their roof rack. Do note though that said rack interfaces with the Sports Bar, so the rig isn't being pulled up by the back of the hard top or any of its attachment points to the rig, like the 8 M8 bolts that keep the hard top on.

...and yet, I don't recommend this either...;)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I lifted my '08 JKUR HARDTOP- using the MBRP RACK--FOR OVER 7 YEARS--

Lifted/stored--NO PROBLEMO !

Ya just gotta know what you're doing-

W.E.

JIMBO

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Go look up how many of what size screws hold the rack on. Then look up the shear strength of a fastener this size. I think you' ll be enlightened.
Sponsored